E3 2010: Nintendo

The Damned

The WiiParty was a huge flop, I thought. Especially to me, seeing as my first thought when they were playing the demo was, "Hey, that looks like Mario Party except with Wiis!"

Aside from that, though, a very strong showing. Sony'll have to really come out with some surprises to come close to matching it.

i missed a bunch of the other stuff but zelda didn't impress me too much. motion controls look fun but it doesn't look like they've changed much beyond that, which is a bit disappointing.

goldeneye looks...alright? i'll probably be accused of being a graphics whore for saying this but it's not up to the visual standard i expect from shooters these days. obviously the wii doesn't have the same visual capabilities as the 360 or ps3, but if they're going for the "realistic" visual style then they're going to have to suffer some comparisons to other modern shooters. i'm sure it'll play really well. goldeneye rules. it just looks a little like butt.

In general, my mind is completely blown. Outta the park, and in another freaking dimension! Specifically:

3DS: Looks nice, sleek, and seems to be doing everything right, straight outta the gate. I like how you can turn off the 3D, that should make the complaints of headaches stop.

Zelda SS: Looks pretty good, but I'm slightly disappointed (and I don't have a good reason to back that up).

Kid Icarus Uprising: It's impressive, but I don't have much hype for that franchise, old games or new.

Kirby Epic Yarn: Oh my fricking goodness, what a disappointment. What does Kirby need a whip for? What was wrong with...sucking up enemies? Why are his abilities limited to freaking vehicles? What is this sickeningly-cutesy art style? I feel like I just gulped down a cup full of cake frosting. No, no, no...all wrong.

DKC Returns: ...Okay Nintendo, I forgive you for that Kirby fiasco. *dries tears*

Kirby Epic Yarn: Oh my fricking goodness, what a disappointment. What does Kirby need a whip for? What was wrong with...sucking up enemies? Why are his abilities limited to freaking vehicles? What is this sickeningly-cutesy art style? I feel like I just gulped down a cup full of cake frosting. No, no, no...all wrong.

I feel the exact opposite. I love everything they did with the new Kirby game. Frankly, I was getting sick of the old "suck up enemies and spit them out or use their ability" strategy. It definitely works for the old games but it's making the franchise stale, IMO.

Wait you want to call kirby sucking up people stale when Nintendo has been recycling ideas over and over for I don't know how long? I don't have a problem with it but what you just said is very hypocritical. They should not have messed with Kirby's trademark abilities in my opinion that's what I love about him. It's whatever I guess, I'm still gonna play it when this comes out and I get my wii fixed.

I think actually the entire point of the Kirby series to be cute.

Not wrong at all.

I think actually the entire point of the Kirby series to be cute.

Not wrong at all.

Seconding that. Not only is this cute (name an ugly, 'serious' Kirby game - I dare you), it's also unique and, bluntly, looks like a ton of fun. Kirby isn't meant to be hard-core - I mean, even Crystal Shards is readily cleared in a few hours. They're fun little platformers, and that's what this looks like it's going to be.

So, I'm totally stoked. The only thing that hurt was no Tales of Graces announcement - I'm sitting on tenterhooks for it - but what I got was awesome. These all look like 'to the roots' sorts of games - a third-person Metroid, a new DKC, Kirby, Goldeneye...it's awesome-looking. And to tie to that hard-core nostalgia...the 3DS. Wowzers. I'm sold (and I never do this) off the bat if it's DS-backwards compatible. The turning-off 3D thing was a nice touch.

And Golden Sun. Oh, man...so awesome.