E3 2010: Nintendo

The Damned

Yes it is. I am beyond impressed with Nintendo and pretty much everything they've done this E3. I haven't even...holy crap a new Donkey Kong Country game? This is just sick. Do me Nintendo. Do me.

Did one of you just say Kid Icarus?

dkc4 and goldeneye are cool, obviously, but are they doing anything drastically different?

if you can give me a good reason why either of these games need to deviate from their original molds then maybe I won't assume you're an idiot

Yes it is. I am beyond impressed with Nintendo and pretty much everything they've done this E3. I haven't even...holy crap a new Donkey Kong Country game? This is just sick. Do me Nintendo. Do me.

Did one of you just say Kid Icarus?

Yeah. It was their big reveal for the 3DS.

newsflash: something being done before doesn't mean that it is automatically bad; sometimes things can be good enough to warrant sequels that aren't complete overhauls

I'm getting kind of sick of all these half-cynic idiots talking about 'Nintendo rehash' while they get all giddy about Gears of fucking War 3 or another god damn Halo or one of the infinite rip-offs of Halo floating around

and don't even get me fucking started on god damn fucking Call of Duty

One thing that is going unmentioned is how they plan to demo the 3DS using 3-D movies from multiple studios. "How to Tame your Dragon" is not even out on DVD and it was part of the lineup.

A portable 3D movie player, think about it. Nintendo is gonna score big points with that.

Hell, 3D camera, another thing that is very impressive (even if the picture quality kinda sucks at 0.3 mega-pixels...)

newsflash: something being done before doesn't mean that it is automatically bad; sometimes things can be good enough to warrant sequels that aren't complete overhauls

I'm getting kind of sick of all these half-cynic idiots talking about 'Nintendo rehash' while they get all giddy about Gears of fucking War 3 or another god damn Halo or one of the infinite rip-offs of Halo floating around

Thank you for this.

Seconded, wholeheartedly.

Thirded, absolutely

I'm excited for many of the sequels/franchise games at E3 this year, but I think I would rather play something I haven't played before. Kid Icarus: Uprising seems to offer something other than the original, but from what I saw of Donkey Kong Country Returns it seems largely unchanged. I still want to play it though, but not as much as I want to experience design ideas I've yet to play.

I'm not saying rehashes and sequels are "bad" games, but that new ideas excite me more.

Fourthed. Anyway, I think the 3DS is a wise step for Nintendo. The DS and Wii are largely successful because they do something the others guys don't do - not until this Autumn. But the 3DS has capabilities that distinguish it from the guys who are taking the DS market share - especially Apple and the phone companies. Americans are whores for whatever is the most cutting edge. Nintendo are nailing it, yet again. But now they have something called third party support, something they lacked five years ago.

-Confirmed amazing games:-

Kid Icarus: Uprising

Mario Kart 3DS

Animal Crossing 3DS

StarFox 64 3DS

Paper Mario 3DS

Resident Evil: Regeneration

Hideo Kojima's Metal Gear Solid Snake Eater 3D "The Naked Sample"

Sonic Rush 3

Super Monkey Ball 3DS

And there's already leaked screenshots of an Ocarina of Time Remake, with upped textures.

I knew the 3DS was going to be amazing, but I had no idea it was going to be even better than that.

i don't really play call of duty, and i dig halo and the gears of war series but they're not personal favorites of mine. i don't even own halo 3, and i only picked up gears of war 2 because i found it really cheap. i was never excusing other companies from the blame, and i wasn't saying that nintendo is the only company guilty of this. in fact, i was saying that because nintendo has innovated so much, the fact that they make so many shameless rehashes is disappointing. are they expected to perform on a completely new level every time they make a game? no, and that's not the point i was making, either. but i just find it unfortunate that they've been pulling this gimmick with so many of their console releases. gba had mario advance, ds had mario 64, wii had a rushed port of twilight princess, and now 3ds has star fox and ocarina of time.

i sort of find the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" argument (in reference to dkc and goldeneye) that you mentioned in the post before that sort of irrelevant, too, because if that were the case, why would we even be playing the wii in the first place? there was nothing inherently "wrong" about gameplay in the last generation, so why would nintendo bother to change it at all? the difference is that they decided to try something different and it worked really well. the same goes for something like mario galaxy or the ds itself. the 3ds is a really good evolution of that. but i think it's lame that they use something like the ds or the 3ds as an excuse to show off the same games we played 10 or 12 years ago simply because it's on new tech now.

i'm not really asking for complete overhauls, i just think that nintendo could put more effort into something like a new star fox 3ds launch title, considering that series has had very little development since 64 came out anyway. that was 97, and there have been 3 new star fox games since then, i think, right? why not use this opportunity to at least make a new game based on the same engine?

the 3ds is a really good evolution of that. but i think it's lame that they use something like the ds or the 3ds as an excuse to show off the same games we played 10 or 12 years ago simply because it's on new tech now.

i'm not really asking for complete overhauls, i just think that nintendo could put more effort into something like a new star fox 3ds launch title, considering that series has had very little development since 64 came out anyway. that was 97, and there have been 3 new star fox games since then, i think, right? why not use this opportunity to at least make a new game based on the same engine?

Who says they're not? The 3DS is very, very new (it would have been announced today had it not gotten leaked to the press awhile ago and forced an early announcement by Nintendo), and it's very likely that any games for it are still so early in development that it was easier to adapt an existing game to show off the new tech.

As far as Donkey Kong goes, one thing that may or may not have been in the announcement (I was at my company's booth all morning and haven't looked at the official press releases yet) is simultaneous two-player co-op. I played it for a bit with the guy behind me in line and it seems very well-done. One nice thing is that unlike the Super Mario Wii co-op there's no collision with your partner so you can't accidentally push each other into enemies or bottomless pits.

Who says they're not? The 3DS is very, very new (it would have been announced today had it not gotten leaked to the press awhile ago and forced an early announcement by Nintendo), and it's very likely that any games for it are still so early in development that it was easier to adapt an existing game to show off the new tech.

As far as Donkey Kong goes, one thing that may or may not have been in the announcement (I was at my company's booth all morning and haven't looked at the official press releases yet) is simultaneous two-player co-op. I played it for a bit with the guy behind me in line and it seems very well-done. One nice thing is that unlike the Super Mario Wii co-op there's no collision with your partner so you can't accidentally push each other into enemies or bottomless pits.

Accidentally my ass, Nekofrog and Newt were intentionally trying to kill everyone with that when we were playing NSMB Wii at my place before :-( .

Quoting again, because it's somethig that needs to be heard more often.

Bleck, sometimes I could just hug you. In a heterosexual way, of course.

I feel the exact opposite. I love everything they did with the new Kirby game. Frankly, I was getting sick of the old "suck up enemies and spit them out or use their ability" strategy. It definitely works for the old games but it's making the franchise stale, IMO.

That's like saying that you get sick of Mario going down pipes, or Sonic spin dashing through enemies, or Master Chief sticking a Plasma grenade on an Elite's head, or Samus shooting enemies...you see where I'm going with this. If you've grown tired of a character's trademark abilities...maybe you need to go play something else.

Wait you want to call kirby sucking up people stale when Nintendo has been recycling ideas over and over for I don't know how long? I don't have a problem with it but what you just said is very hypocritical. They should not have messed with Kirby's trademark abilities in my opinion that's what I love about him. It's whatever I guess, I'm still gonna play it when this comes out and I get my wii fixed.

I agree, and I'm still going to get this anyways. I'm just disappointed, that's all.

- The 23rd iteration of the DS just made me roll my eyes (c'mon Nintendo... how many damn versions are you going to pump out?).

It's a brand new system, with new graphics and new capabilities. Don't be redonkolus.

Are you kidding me? You're actually complaining about a Kirby game looking cute?

Would you complain if your funnel cake was buried under a mound of powdered sugar? Yes, you would. So, in my opinion, Kirby's new game is TOO cute. Don't agree, idc. :razz:

JClvgnfuler is known for not getting the point sometimes

And you're known for never getting the point, meanie-face.

Bleck, you have redeemed yourself in my eyes. Even if that doesn't matter to you, I have to give you kudos, you deserve them.

ooh boy. I think I just might have to get a 3DS.

Anyone who buys a launch release of a new Nintendo handheld isn't paying attention to history. We all know a new and better redesign of the 3DS is waiting on the horizon. Hold on to your money, and get that one instead.

Meh, nobody's forcing you to buy them. I think Nintendo has this approach because portables have a shorter lifespan, and when you lose, break or in anyway make your portable unusable, you don't have to buy the same thing over and over again, it gets slightly better each time. Plus, I still have my DS Fat, and I haven't had any need to upgrade it in anyway for it to still play games. The stars of hardware changes this time around would be the PSP, with the different versions some dropping the UMD drive and going on downloadable only.