E3 2010: Nintendo

The Damned

Considering that the new FE is a sequel to Shadow Dragon, my hopes are not too high on it.

I don't blame Nintendo for not having it at E3. Shadow Dragon crashed pretty hard here. I bet they are going to test the reception of in Japan and go from there.

It crashed because it was a remake of the first one, which wasn't all that great to begin with. I figure if you're going to take a game back to the roots of it's series, you have to at least make it to the standards of the latest game in the series, something Shadow Dragon just didn't manage. It was bold to try and bring back some of the traits, like the job switching. But it ruined the feel of the game by making all the characters one dimensional as hell. I didn't care at all for any of them or whether they lived or died (especially considering that if you wanted the extra chapters, you had to kill them off.)

The reason they changed the original design was because it was ass ugly, heavy, and thus had no chance of selling well. The DS Lite fixed those problems, and thus you have the handheld juggernaut you see today. While the necesity of the DSi models are debatable, the Lite was a stroke of genius.

Also, a remake of a 15+ year old NES game being terrible/boring? Unfathomable!

The reason they changed the original design was because it was ass ugly, heavy, and thus had no chance of selling well. The DS Lite fixed those problems, and thus you have the handheld juggernaut you see today. While the necesity of the DSi models are debatable, the Lite was a stroke of genius.

Also, a remake of a 15+ year old NES game being terrible/boring? Unfathomable!

I don't think the necessity of the DSi is even particularly debatable. It failed in execution, providing as far as I know no exclusive (cartridge) games to market yet and considerably little value download-wise. I was excited for the prospect, but nothing came out of it that legitimized the price of admission.

-Coop

The main reason they keep releasing new versions is to have even deeper penetration into the market. Instead of the previous ways of thinking of systems having a life cycle where it would have to be replaced I don't think many (if any) people are thinking they want a new generation of consoles. So how do the three companies get more consoles out there? They make better versions with more built in bells and whistles and that makes the older versions cheaper. Die hards will buy the new one because they want it. Those tentative people who didn't want to pay too much buy the older models that still function just fine like you mentioned. Or people who know about tech and that it'll improve wait for the updated version and buy it for the same price the original launched at. It's the same logic with Apple products. You know better stuff is coming. You know you're going to want to buy it eventually. If anything this gives you more options. Though I do feel for you in that there are those instances where if you -just- bought a 360 then the newest version really stings.

For those of you who are excited about the new DKC game, there's a new interview with Iwata and Kensuke Tanabe, who is working with Retro on the game:

http://e3.nintendo.com/iwata-asks/

I was a bit worried about certain things when I saw the trailer (such as the lack of recognizable supporting characters), but this is a really reassuring discussion. They talk about the two player co-op, Retro's history with the series, and what probably was most exciting for me, the music of the series. It seems that they are fully cognizant of the success of the series' music, and it has been something that was a focus. No word on the composer of the previous games though :(

EDIT: I was also surprised that Miyamoto was the one who wanted a new Donkey Kong game and that this is how it turned out. Considering the negative things he said about the Country series...

Dude, didn't you see the remake of "The Time Machine"? Blowing up the moon will fubar everything. Sure it'll be one hell of a final ride, watching all that mankind has made and achieved crumble beneath a burning sky filled with fireballs streaming into the earth, but... I'm not done with Chrono Trigger yet and I just got it :-(

Dude, didn't you see the remake of "The Time Machine"? Blowing up the moon will fubar everything. Sure it'll be one hell of a final ride, watching all that mankind has made and achieved crumble beneath a burning sky filled with fireballs streaming into the earth, but... I'm not done with Chrono Trigger yet and I just got it :-(

there is time yet if you hurry

I completely support this threat

I second it.

Seriously, I hated Banjo Kazooie Nuts and Bolts, but David Wise's music was top notch.

I hope they consider bringing him in to do the music, if they don't, oh well, just try to match the quality he did for the games.

Considering the fact that David Wise did the music for ALL the original DKC games (although 1 was him, Robin Beanland, and Eveline Fischer, and 3 was him and Eveline Fischer), he'd better be a part of DKCR.

Also funny; R could stand for Retro as well, both as in Retro gameplay and Retro Studios. I could be looking into this too much though.

Well, apparently quite a few who worked on the original three are also on this project as mentioned. If that's the case, there's always the possibility they might have pushed/be pushing him to get him on the game. If I were part of the original team I know I would be. Incidentally, considering a lot of people think the soundtrack for the second one was best, it's kind of funny that it was all his work.

Perhaps what I find most amazing, though, is that they managed to keep this a secret for two years.

david wise has written a lot of awesome music for a lot of games, but banjo kazooie: nuts and bolts is not one of them. grant kirkhope, robin beanland, and dave clynick wrote the music for that.

Whoops... Minus 10 points for me... :(

still I'd love for them to try to get some of those guys involved if it's possible...

I'm very happy with Nintendo's new line-up of games :) I've been disappointed by pretty much every game I bought for Wii so far. It looks like there is some good stuff coming out indeed.

Now, Kirby looks very appealing and would be an instant-buy for me, though I would like it to be somewhat more challenging than previous Kirby games.

While enjoyable, those games were simply too easy.

I couldn't believe the new Donkey Kong Country announcement! I've been dreaming about a new DKC game for so long!

I'm just missing those classic enemies like the Kremlins. I'm guessing those are tied more to Rare? I'm not a fan of the Jungle Beat-esque enemies.

Nevertheless, DKCR is a must-buy for me!

if DKCR doesn't have music by David Wise I will blow up the moon

I don't think it will :( also I fear that no Kremlings are involved this time...

I like the DKJB contamination, but enemies lacked the personality of the DKC series...

See, this is exactly what I asked you guys not to do.

If you want to talk about the 3DS, please make a 3DS thread, and if you want to talk about DKCR, make a DKCR thread. Stop using this thread to discuss disparate topics. Having so many lines of conversation in one thread defeats the entire purpose of threaded discussion.