Alteler Iris 3/ Ar Tonelico When Do We Fight?

No Escape

So I noticed this mix is definitely distorting through my headphones when I preview it on this site. Is anyone else experiencing the same awful thing?

EDIT: I downloaded it and experienced no distortion.

P.S.I uploaded a high fi version for download as well stats.png

Well, I liked it. I could easily recognise it and I think I like it more than the original, which has naff instruments. Yours was muhc more enjoyable and less cheesy.

The Aterlier games have some great tracks, particularly Iris 1 and 2. The songs often have catchy, yet complex melodies, and are quite varied. I'm not sure of the translation but Shining Sword is a favourite of mine, and Drive into the Dark.

If you remix anything else from the series, let me know. :)

• 1 month later...
I'm gonna switch this mod review since it's already been submitted.

just an fyi, the idea is to go through the mod review process before you submit; the whole point of workshop moderators is to catch problems that can be addressed upfront and provide feedback that will give you a better chance of getting past the judges- as opposed to submitting, spending a matter of several months (or more) for them to get around to it, just to be rejected.

the mixing all-around is pretty flat and muffled. lot's of action in the mids, not so much in the low/high's. a lot of samples used, such as the strings, choir and piano have a very 'fake' quality to them. the orchestral hits sounded super-cheesy, and weren't mixed too well either. edit: i thought the guitar was sequenced for the first few listens, my apologies for thinking so if that's not the case, but the tone and mixing there didn't sit too well with me :???: /edit

one of your high-hats is panned pretty hard left, and is coincidentally also the loudest piece of percussion in your set- the rest of the drums were pretty drowned out for the most part imo, and could probably use a boost to get things more balanced. sections with the choir/piano were also pretty unbalanced, with the guitar and choir being the dominant forces.

a lot of this seems like cover material, moreso than an arrangement. i could break it down a little better if i knew beforehand where each source was taking place in your mix, but from what I've gathered over a few listens, it seems like it could use a bit more interpretation and original writing to vary things up and make it your own.

i don't mean to discourage, but this is quite a ways from making it to OCR and I think you may have jumped the gun with a submission (although the judges will be able to provide you with some helpful feedback when they get around to it).. on the other hand, i'd focus on new material anyway to help expand and sharpen your skills. the musical chops are here, but the production (and probably to a lesser degree, arrangement) needs some practice. good to see that you are active and enjoying the workshop forums, and i hope my feedback is of use! best of luck :D

Gotta pretty much echo my man halc here.

I think what you got isn't that bad imho, but it could be so much better.

Listening to the sources and your remix it seems like what you got is a little too close to the original. Try more Variation!

As for the samples, the intro piano and strings are pretty weak.

The guitar that comes in is much better, but the drums and bass are incredibly weak and pretty much destroy all the energy that you could get from this. You need to boost the level of the kick and snare to a more audible volume before I can comment on them properly but from what I can here, the snare sounds a little dry and the kick lacks punch.

The strings and choirs aren't great but you might be able to get away with them more buried in the soundscape. You need to bring up the drums and bass and get a strong bass foundation for the style you are going for, the sound is far too airy for the style of rock/metal you are going for.

I think its a shame you subbed this, because as it is, there isn't any chance of it passing the panel, but keep on working on this... its going to need a whole lot of work but I think its possible to get this one above the bar ;)

Finally, some real feedback. Well, this pretty much confirmed my fears. I definitely jumped the gun with the sub (I didn't know any better) because all the mentioned issues were the one's I was worried about. This was my first attempt at using some FL drums rather than playing them, so the results were a little iffy. I'm also constantly getting killed for my patches, but I'm limited by my Korg N1's library (I don't sequence anything but drums). I guess I just need to really sit down and scroll through until I find a good string setting. Well, back to the drawing board. I'll prob pull the prior sub and re-sub once everything's balanced out. Thanks guys, I needed to know.:-)

I'm also constantly getting killed for my patches, but I'm limited by my Korg N1's library (I don't sequence anything but drums).

You know, if bad samples are a problem, you can download some great free vsts if you look in the right places... I'd suggest looking in this thread - http://ocremix.org/forums/showthread.php?t=4556 if you haven't already :P

I don't even have a midi interface.....

*hangs head in unbridled shame*

I'm probably gonna upgrade my whole rig soon, so I guess I'll just shop around (Thanks for the post back)

Heh I don't have a midi interface either, All my music is sequenced in reason/reaper, with the exception of guitar work. You don't have to use a midi interface to use vsts if thats what you were thinking :P