Nintendo 3DS

DarkeSword

Man, it's a handheld. How much space do you NEED on a handheld? 32, or even 29.8, gigs is PLENTY. The media support topic is much more important than HC v XC.

Maybe for your needs, but not mine. 30 GBs isn't enough. I would have to cut out lots of stuff I like just to make it fit on something that small. If the 3DS can handle media right, then I see no reason why I can't use it as my primary media player as well as my game machine. People have been doing that with iPods for a while now, and they like it. Hell, the PSP was all about being a game and media device since it came out, and people seemed to like it just fine. So why can't the 3DS do the same?

Also, if they support certain video formats, maybe I want to put a bunch of movies on it as well. People have been watching movies on screen that size for a few years now, and they don't seem to mind.

wait a second are they really doing this hahaha

i thought they wanted to compete with the iphone as far as media players go theyre not gonna be able to compete if they dont support mp3s

Don't do that. Far too many journalists want to pit Nintendo against Apple because they can't stand seeing Nintendo being way past the competition. And Apple and Nintendo comparrisons are like comparring oranges and, well, apples. (god that was lame)

The 3D isn't exactly a necessity, but it's a disruptive move. And since blue ocean strategy is part of disruption Nintendo follows that movement. The graphics is a selling point for some, and a sweet spot for getting game makers to support it. I just hope 2D will still have a place on it. Judging from the Wii games we see coming out, I don't doubt we'll see some.

Read something kind of worrying:

Daemon Hatfield: I was very excited to check out the 3DS, so imagine my disappointment when I found a blurry mess that hurt my eyes. Now, I have a bad astigmatism in my left eye and wear very strong prescription contact lenses. I can only assume my poor eyesight is keeping me from appreciating the 3DS' visuals, because most everyone else had a positive experience with it. But when I look at the 3D screen I see double. If I concentrated really hard I could bring the images together, but I couldn't keep them that way for long. So it looks like the 3DS may not work for everyone.

(http://ds.ign.com/articles/110/1100156p1.html)

Hmm... I have a bit of a stygmatism too, which might actually explain why 3D movies only MOSTLY work for me: there's almost always some part of the image that's blurry. Hopefully the 3DS will work for me.

Don't do that. Far too many journalists want to pit Nintendo against Apple because they can't stand seeing Nintendo being way past the competition. And Apple and Nintendo comparrisons are like comparring oranges and, well, apples. (god that was lame)

nintendo has already labeled the iphone and apple as their top competitor "for the future"

i dont feel like finding the link but yeah it was about a month ago

Read something kind of worrying:

(http://ds.ign.com/articles/110/1100156p1.html)

Hmm... I have a bit of a stygmatism too, which might actually explain why 3D movies only MOSTLY work for me: there's almost always some part of the image that's blurry. Hopefully the 3DS will work for me.

I have a stigmatism in my left eye, but my problem with 3D movies was only being dizzy & having to wear glasses on top of glasses.

I have a stigmatism in my left eye, but my problem with 3D movies was only being dizzy & having to wear glasses on top of glasses.

Yeah, the whole glasses on top of glasses thing gets pretty old pretty quickly :<

Hopefully Nintendo will do some work on this autostereoscopy thing to make sure people with bad eyes aren't too adversely affected. The last thing they need is another Virtual Boy...

For some context about how the technology works, you might want to see this:

It's probably not the exact same (obviously you don't need to wear the heagear now) but it definitely appears to borrow elements from the concepts in the video.

I don't think it is the same concept at all. The whole effect generated in that video is derived from headtracking... take out the tracking (eg. glasses) and there's no way to produce the 3D effect.

http://www.tomsguide.com/us/Nintendo-3DS-3D-Glasses-DS,news-6237.html

Looks like this is how it's actually done - essentially the screen is sending two different patterns of light (somehow) via a filter that can be turned on or off. Pretty cool stuff.

it has been confirmed that it doesn't use head tracking for a few days now and has been confirmed to be using some crazy screen effect for at least two months now

I mean I would have assumed that when all the people pointed out that look at the screen from angles kind of blurred the 3d effect that logically it meant that it wasn't using head tracking but I guess people are just bad at assuming

no no I meant who actually cares about the 3D image viewing thing

I mean if you took away the 3D screen and just had the bigger screen and better graphics and analog nub it would still be a fantastic system worth putting money into, you know?

If it required you to wear 3d goggles every time you wanted to actually experience the 3d, would anyone still buy it?

i wouldn't... or, better yet, i still wouldn't care much about the 3d, but i'd still get one.

I'd get one - my DS Lite is starting to show signs of insensitivity on the touch screen on occasions, so I feel like it's about time to upgrade it.

no no I meant who actually cares about the 3D image viewing thing

I mean if you took away the 3D screen and just had the bigger screen and better graphics and analog nub it would still be a fantastic system worth putting money into, you know?

Well yeah I would still get it even if it didn't have 3d capabilities. I just had bad sentence structure in that last post. The raises hand emote was the only thing pertaining to your question lol.

Umm, yeah the 3d is cool and all, but in actuality, it's the analog nub (always one generation behind, eh Nintendo?), and more powerful processor/graphics (combined with awesome first party titles) that has me buying it.

But the real fact of the matter is, if Nintendo re-released the Gameboy Color, but with some kind of gimmick like mind control or something, while still making new Zelda/Mario/Metroid first party titles for it, I would still buy it...

Maybe they already did do mind control.

nintendo has already labeled the iphone and apple as their top competitor "for the future"

i dont feel like finding the link but yeah it was about a month ago

I read that as well, that quote didn't even sound like Iwata, so it was taken out of context or fake altogether. I don't doubt that Nintendo should be watchful.

I read that as well, that quote didn't even sound like Iwata, so it was taken out of context or fake altogether. I don't doubt that Nintendo should be watchful.

Didn't a bunch of Nintendo press stuff come out about how that quote wasn't from Iwata? I remember the same thing being said, and then a articles saying "no, he didn't say that, where are you people getting this from?"

But it makes sense that they would keep an eye out for every form of competition. They didn't take the Playstation seriously, and look what happened. The PS1 became a major competitor, and then it was Nintendo fighting against Sony. Then Microsoft came in, making it harder for them to get back to their former status as industry leader. Since then, I think Nintendo has been keeping an eye on anything that might move in on their piece of the pie.

The PSP was the only portable gaming system to ever take a chunk out of Nintendo's domination of that market. The iPod line is probably something they have been keeping tabs on, just in case. It's smart business, and we know that Nintendo is all about smart business these days.

Just for fun:

PSP:

metal-gear-solid-peace-walker-20090602050411657_640w.jpg

3DS:

metal-gear-solid-snake-eater-3d-the-naked-sample-20100615024846789_640w.jpg

PSP:

metal-gear-solid-peace-walker-20090923081746471_640w.jpg

3DS:

metal-gear-solid-snake-eater-3d-the-naked-sample-20100615024859211_640w.jpg

PSP:

metal-gear-solid-peace-walker-20090923081745893_640w.jpg

3DS:

metal-gear-solid-snake-eater-3d-the-naked-sample-20100615000503867_640w.jpg

The 3DS is clearly the more powerful system, but the PSP has a higher resolution. Well, Kind of. The 3DS's top screen is actually 800x240, 'cause it renders everything twice for the 3D effect. It also has a second screen which is 320x240, so it would actually be easy to argue that the 3DS has the higher resolution. :tomatoface: