Nintendo 3DS

DarkeSword

i WANT A CAMERA WITH 10 MEGAPIXELS ON MY HANDHELD GAMING DEVICE WITH A 3.5 IN SCREEN AND HAS A DISPLAY RESOLUTION OF 400x240. WTF NINTENDO WHAT IS YOUR PROBLEM?

I have a SLR for that, actually. But when my $20 phone has a 5MP camera, and the 3DS has the same .3MP of the DSi...sorry, this is 2010. Its not that much to ask for to have at least 1 or 2MP. While it isn't meant to be a replacement for a "real" camera, it'd be a nice feature to have 3D photos that are worth viewing off console. As it is, .3MP is more than a slight let down. Especially since the iPhone has a 2MP camera on it. And the iPhone is terrible imho.

Don't quote me, but I swear I read on either IGN or the nintendo site that Nintendo are looking at pushing the 3DS as a device to rival the iTouch/iPhone (i.e. something everyone has in their pockets). While I like to have games more than a camera most of the time, the added bonus of a reasonably good camera would be an added bonus. Of course, as was pointed out, the MP means nothing if the lens or sensor is fail, which is inevitable in such a design as the DS. But its no worse of a set up in many other "cameras", like phones and the like.

I have a SLR for that, actually. But when my $20 phone has a 5MP camera, and the 3DS has the same .3MP of the DSi...sorry, this is 2010. Its not that much to ask for to have at least 1 or 2MP.

Think about this

One of Nikons older entry level DSLR's is the D40, it sports 6.1 MP.

Vs your Phone's Camera, that boasts 5 MP, yet probably doesn't take pictures even half as good as the D40.

It's the same for a 10MP Point and Shoot vs the very same camera. The 10 MP point and shoot has a smaller censor, which makes all those extra pixels crammed onto it pretty pointless actually, and produces worse images.

Nintendo probably realizes this stuff and figures .3 MP is more than enough for the size of the censor they are using. They COULD bump it to 5 MP but it would probably make no difference or even make the image worse. I suppose they could also get a bigger censor, and bump it up to 5MP but then it would be more expensive as well, thus rising the cost of their handheld, and even then it would still be likely be wasted pixels, meaning a pointless increase in cost.

Does anyone here buy a cell phone just so they can use the camera...??? 0_o

Now substitute "cell phone" with "3DS".

If the answer is still the same, you should be satisfied with any camera the 3DS has.

EDIT: My point is, why are you even using a DS Camera? If you want a camera, buy one. They're cheaper than DS's. :D I believe 1337 1 said...

my $20 phone has a 5MP camera

... If I got a 3DS and found out it took crappy pictures, I really wouldn't give a care. I just want play my DS games. :D

It's a fucking hand held video game system, ladies. Any person that wants a high-end camera goes out and buys a device built specifically for that use. What? Are you people planning on professionally filming a wedding with an iPhone?

Cameramen: We're here!

Family: Where's ur camera?

Cameraman 1: *holds up iPhone*

Cameraman 2: *holds up iPhone charging dock*

Family: ...

That would ruin it if the wedding would be recorded in such a... low quality manner. :P

What? Are you people planning on professionally filming a wedding with an iPhone?

see this is a stupid thing to say

while the iphone obviously wouldnt be used for professional photography/filming, it still takes very nice pictures

for example i took this one in a really crazy crowd and it still came out well

2eezqfm.png

a .3 megapixel camera on the 3ds wouldnt come close to that

It upsets me that there is an argument over a camera on a gaming device. I don't know a single person who actually uses the camera on the DSi and I don't expect that to change when the 3DS arrives either. I own a SLR and scoff at everyones point and shoots these days. Then I get sad when people with superior SLRs scoff at me :(

I'm confused as to how you would even view a stereoscopic image on anything BUT the 3ds

ok i missed that you were talking about stereoscopic images

It upsets me that there is an argument over a camera on a gaming device. I don't know a single person who actually uses the camera on the DSi and I don't expect that to change when the 3DS arrives either. I own a SLR and scoff at everyones point and shoots these days. Then I get sad when people with superior SLRs scoff at me :(

its because its amusing that nintendo is trying evermore to make it useful for more things than just playing ds games but theyre obviously doing a poor job at it (much like the psp back in the day)

portable devices are much nicer nowadays when they can do a lot of different things

I guess that what bothers me is that to some people, it will become a legitimate selling point. I feel like there will be people who will pass up what has the potential to be an incredible gaming device because they can get an iPod Touch and take higher resolution photographs. And well, that's not cool at all.