Nintendo 3DS

DarkeSword

why are we still talking about the camera?

Until we get to see this thing in the wild along with Nintendo's plans for online service, I don't think we have much else to talk about other than the following:

They have mentioned the processor, which is the pica200 from Digital Media Productions, and here is a link to 1up.com with a tech video and some detailed specs.

An interesting rumor that's been going around is that apparently the game carts are going to have a 2 gig minimum size(UMD is currently 1.5 gigs, and I don't know of any PSP game that uses all of it, save maybe Crisis Core or MGS: Peacewalker), and even more interesting is that apparently games can be installed/stored on the 3DS.

If this was mentioned before, go ahead and disregard.

Also, I really doubt that they're aiming to use the camera for any actual photography as much as they'll probably try to incorporate it into game mechanics somehow.

Until we get to see this thing in the wild along with Nintendo's plans for online service, I don't think we have much else to talk about other than the following:

oh hey if were gonna talk about online services how about we make another comparison before the end of the year (by extension before the 3ds is out) apples gonna have a full unified xbox live type service for the iphone with achievements and friends for easy online play

hey nintendo are you ever gonna do that

Guys. Bleck just tried to re-rail this thread. That should tell you something.

As for "installed games", I've read that wa not true. I can not for the life of me find the article, but I recall reading an interview with Iwata where he said that this was not a feature he was aware of. If I (or someone else here) can find it, it should clear things up.

As for online, maybe this will be of interest.

Guys. Bleck just tried to re-rail this thread. That should tell you something.

As for "installed games", I've read that wa not true. I can not for the life of me find the article, but I recall reading an interview with Iwata where he said that this was not a feature he was aware of. If I (or someone else here) can find it, it should clear things up.

As for online, maybe this will be of interest.

It was a Miyamoto interview, but he could be playing dumb. Nikkei doesn't report BS

It was a Miyamoto interview, but he could be playing dumb. Nikkei doesn't report BS

I have a feeling Miyamoto maybe just didn't really understand the question (It all has to go through a translator, after all.), but I'm not sure Nintendo would really go for that. After all, how would they prevent people from buying and installing a game, then giving the game to all their friends to do the same? Nintendo is not stupid, they wouldn't allow that.

What I would like (And suspect may happen) is a similar system to the Wii, where sertain games have channels you can install. You could install a Mario Kart channel to your 3DS that would function just like the Wii's version.

Actually, what would also be cool is if Nintendo packed in with the 3DS a pokewalker/VMU device you could download pokemon, minigames or other stuff into and, because of it's tiny size, you could carry it everywhere. They'd use the Infared port on the 3DS and you could transfer a mario minigame, and always have a pokemon on hand to battle friends. Maybe they could also store the friend code for the 3DS so you could just connect the VMU-things together and when you reconnect it to your 3DS, your friend would be registered.

I'm a geek for tiny video games; I really want to track down a Pokemon Mini (Those tiny cartridges are hysterical!)

Hate carrying around multiple DS carts with you when you travel? It sounds like the 3DS will clear up that issue for you.

According to the Japanese publication Nikkei, the 3DS will allow you to store games on the hardware itself. You pop a game in, you copy it over to the DS, and you're set to go! It all seems very cool, and not an approach that Nintendo would traditionally take!

Quote from GoNintendo

Original source from here

Let this be true...

...But I doubt it.

From RPM's 3DS topic. Should be interesting if it's true.

You mean this article?

Okay, maybe not. But I did post this a few days back.

The Reginator has confirmed world-wide release in March next year. So, you have nine months to save up the money and decide what color, games and accessories you want.

Nine months. Man, that's just not enough time, is it? My poor DS Lite... it's going to be a bitter-sweet year for us, isn't it?

Nothing new, it says BY March, which was known at the time of the first press release for the 3ds. March is the latest, which is the end of the fiscal year.

My bet is November, before black friday if they can finalize the design and start mass producing it within the next month or so.

Nothing new, it says BY March, which was known at the time of the first press release for the 3ds. March is the latest, which is the end of the fiscal year.

My bet is November, before black friday if they can finalize the design and start mass producing it within the next month or so.

Wait, you mean this November? I thought only Kid Icarus was the only game that was even close to being a full game at E3. I don't think they have the lineup to support launching this year...

Wait, you mean this November? I thought only Kid Icarus was the only game that was even close to being a full game at E3. I don't think they have the lineup to support launching this year...

Yeah, every game listed so far is in development, and not close to a release date yet.

I'd rather wait the extra couple months and have all the games ready, so when I do go buy on, I will have a selection of twenty plus games, not a half dozen or so. The more selection, the better.

Well, here's the thing about that.

The size reduction from the DS to the DS Lite (and also the DSi, but not the DSiXL my god, so many pointless letters...) was the biggest change. It dropped a fuckload of bulk and slimmed it down to something not only pocketable, but comfy.

The 3DS is the same size as the Lite, so what can they really do? They can't alter the screens anymore because they already have those set. They aren't going to add another analog pad, as that would alter the current control scheme. They also already have camera and tilt sensors and all that other stuff. It will also have DSware and media management like the DSi already has.

What can they really do for a revision? Make it slightly smaller? They could make it bigger, but goddamn, why would you want a bigger portable? Even then, they'll just do the same thing as the XL, making it bigger without changing any of the specs.

So really, what can they do in two years time?