Nintendo 3DS

DarkeSword

Those look pretty neat. I like the thinner case design. I think it was IGN that joked that every 3DS game should have a lenticular cover. That would be awesome.

Anyways, I'ma going out of town for a couple weeks. When I get back, I wanna see 50,000 signatures for Virtual Handheld! :tomatoface: lol

• 2 months later...

Very cool little device.

And while I love the Virtual Console stuff they've announced for GBA and GB games, I really want them to announce NES and SNES Virtual Console functionality as well (or hell, any VC title that the system can run), which reeeally isn't that far of a stretch to ask for.

Cool stuff. I'm pretty excited!

It's not simulated, Brandon.

Taken from RPM.

Final spec sheet:

The 3D-compatible portable will be released domestically on February 26, priced at ¥25,000. It will be available in Aqua Blue and Cosmos Black color variations.

Your ¥25,000 will get you a set that includes the following items:

Nintendo 3DS System

Nintendo 3DS Exclusive Charging Stand

Nintendo 3DS AC Adapter

Nintendo 3DS Exclusive Touch Pen

SD Memory Card (2 Gigabytes)

6 AR Cards (paper cards used for playing with the camera)

Simple Starter Guide

Instructions

Warranty

The system's specifications, as translated from Nintendo's press release are:

Size

134x74x21mm

Weight

230g

Upper Screen

3.53 inches, wide screen with naked eye 3D support, 800x240 pixel resolution

Lower Screen

3.02 inches, 320x240 pixels

Camera

One camera on the inside, two cameras on the outside. Each camera is 0.3 megapixels (640x480)

Wireless Communication

2.4GHz. Can exchange data with other 3DS units through Surechigai (Tag Mode). Can connect to the internet via wireless LAN access points (compatible with WPA/WPA2 IEEE802.11 security).

Inputs

A/B/X/Y, D-pad, L/R, Start/Select, Slide Pad (360 degree analogue input), Touch Screen, Internal Mic, Camera, Motion Sensor, Gyro Sensor

Other Inputs

3D Volume (can smoothly adjust degree of 3D output), Home Button (for opening the Home menu), Wireless Switch (can turn off wireless even while in mid-game), Power Button

Connector

Game Card Slot, SD Memory Card Slot, AC Adapter Connection, Charge Connection, Headphone Connection

Sound

Stereo Speakers on the left and right of the top screen

Touch Pen

Can be contracted. Max length 10cm

Battery

Lithium Ion Battery

Game Card

Nintendo 3DS exclusive game cards. Size is the same as DS cards. Max memory capacity will be 2 gigabytes at system launch

Major functionality mentioned by Nintendo in its press release includes:

Enjoy 3D images with the naked eye on the top screen.

You can adjust the 3D volume to change the 3D feel, and can also make it 2D.

A stereo camera that can take 3D pictures

Includes 2 external cameras. When you take 3D pictures, they can be viewed on the spot.

New input interfaces

Slide Pad, Motion Sensor, Gyro Sensor

Itsunoma ni Tsuushin

When the 3DS is in sleep mode, the system will automatically seek out Nintendo Zone and wireless LAN access points and will grab information, game data, free games, videos and other things from the internet. The name, incidentally, translates to something along the lines of "Wireless Communication When You Weren't Expecting It."

Surechigai Tsuushin/Tag Mode

When the 3DS is in sleep mode, it will automatically exchange data with other 3DS systems. The system can transfer data from multiple games simultaneously.

Functionality For Use Without Leaving Games

Home Menu, Internet Browser, Notice List

A Variety of Software Built In

Nintendo 3DS Camera, Nintendo 3DS Sound, Mii Studio, Surechigai/Tag Mode Mii Plaza, AR Games, Omoide Kirokuchou (Memory Recording Notebook) and more

Download Sales of Games

In addition to buying games, you can view introductory videos and rankings

Transfer Over Software and Data

You'll be able to transfer your already purchased download software to 3DS. This includes DSi Ware games from DSi and DSi LL.

Backwards Compatible

In addition to playing games made for 3DS, the system can also play DSi and DS games.

Parental Controls

You can set play restrictions based off game ratings. You can also limit browser use and other areas. Parental Controls have been improved from the DSi versions.

From here

I've been reading other sites commentators on the price of the thing ($300), which they forget that most of the time Nintendo's tech usually comes out cheaper here.

On a purely educated guess, I'd say for the U.S., they'll cut out the SD card and charging dock pack in. If not, hey, not a problem. But I think they'll try to cut cost down though....

That's what I heard from the conference blogging last night.

What you posted before makes no mention of GBA, and a quick google search didn't seem to result in any real confirmation. Unless there's a link to a transcript in the original Japanese that states it or unless Nintendo confirms it, I'd call it heresay.

Adding on to PB's amazing post;

14:40 -- Nintendo will be bundling a 2GB SD card with the system.

14:41 -- They'll be selling Game Boy and Game Boy Advance "Virtual Console" games.

14:41 -- They will also sell "Classic Games" viewed in 3D.

Although looking at Mark MacDonald's Twitter page, he says "others incorrectly reported it as GBA"

Even if it's not at launch, it will surely come later. Systems were added to the Wii's VC as time went on, remember? It shouldn't be any different with this.

We could even get Game Gear, Neo-Geo Pocket (Color), and possibly... WonderSwan?