Kirby's Epic Yarn

DarkeSword

It looks sort of cool, but.... how is this a kirby game?

The main character DOES NOT suck up enemies. He neither eats enemies nor spits them at other enemies. He doesn't appear to puff up and fly.

Why is this new character disguised as kirby?

I was thinking the same thing. But I enjoyed Canvas Curse, which was even less Kirby-like.

The part where he pulls a button and scrunches up a whole section of the screen caught me off guard. Awesome.

My first impression was that I really don't like the title. "Epic" is a word that has been so overused on the internets that I don't really like seeing it in the title of a Kirby game.

Then I actually saw the trailer and... well Darkesword said it best: DAY ONE PURCHASE.

There are quite a few awesome Kirby games where he doesn't suck up enemies or fly. Canvas Curse / Power Paintbrush, Kirby Pinball, that SNES golf game and Air Ride come to mind. The game obviously has the look & feel of a Kirby game, and hey, he still absorbs powers from his enemies.

The main character DOES NOT suck up enemies. He neither eats enemies nor spits them at other enemies. He doesn't appear to puff up and fly.

maybe sakurai finally realized that those two gameplay mechanics were sort of counter-conducive to a game being challenging

Total day one purchase, obviously. :)

Given that there hasn't been an ACTUAL Kirby console release since Kirby 64: The Crystal Shards in 2000, it's high time that one happened. Kirby is my favorite, so I'm totally all over this. The fact that it's got an adorable art style akin to Kirby's Dreamland 3 has me squealing like a little girl. I'm pretty damn excited.

easy != for kids

there is a winnie the pooh platforming game for the n64 and I remember renting it for my younger brother and then beating the whole thing (and enjoying it) because it was tough as fuck

Tigger's Honey Hunt that also appeared on the PC and PSOne..?

Also...

easy != for kids.

I agree, this is easy to pick up and play but that does not make it easy.

easy != for kids

there is a winnie the pooh platforming game for the n64 and I remember renting it for my younger brother and then beating the whole thing (and enjoying it) because it was tough as fuck

back then yeah but nowadays they equate quite well sadly

I've got mixed feelings about this, but then again, I've kinda been clamoring for another Kirby Super Star-esque game for years, and it appears that style of Kirby game is done with. That was easily one of my favorite platformers of all time.

I'll play it, probably buy it, but I'll want to try it first.

I've got mixed feelings about this, but then again, I've kinda been clamoring for another Kirby Super Star-esque game for years, and it appears that style of Kirby game is done with. That was easily one of my favorite platformers of all time.

I'll play it, probably buy it, but I'll want to try it first.

Didn't you play Kirby and the Amazing Mirror or Kirby Squeak Squad?

Why is this new character disguised as kirby?

My sentiments exactly. 10 years later, and we still don't have a proper console Kirby. The mere thought makes me rage. But hey, it's not like anybody misses Sword Kirby, or Fighter Kirby, or whipping out a freaking lightsaber with Kirby...:sad:

Didn't you play Kirby and the Amazing Mirror or Kirby Squeak Squad?

Mirror uses the Kirby's Adventure (GBA) engine and doesn't feel like Superstar.

Squeak Squad is a little better, and I _love_ the combining of powers....but there just aren't enough of them to go around.

SuperStar on DS (with the extras) is still the best Kirby game. Artistically, Dreamland3 is probably the best -- I'm very pleased that the new game is following in its footsteps.

Looks like a cool game, but I do still wish for a true sequel to Kirby Superstar. That game was incredible on so many levels, and despite the fact that it had the 'easy' power absorption mechanic it was still pretty damn challenging, especially the arena. I logged many hours playing multiplayer with my friends years ago and despite our relative mastery of the game it was a blast every time, and we would often rack up lots of deaths.

My ultimate Kirby game would really just be Superstar with more stuff. More minigames, more adventures (with different goals + mechanics), more powers, more bosses, up to 4p co-op instead of 2p, etc. I do think the mechanics in Yarn look cool, but I won't be getting it. I wish they had perhaps integrated mechanics like that into a mode within a next-gen Superstar game.

Frankly, I would love another Dream Land 3 esque game...

Oh wait, that's this game.

So yes, I'm getting this.

I love Super Star, but the series has really whored that game's concepts to death...

I want a return to the Dreamland saga, myself. What I call the 'true' Kirby games, lol (Dreamland, D2, D3, and Crystal Shards which is basically Dreamland 4).

But I am very happy and very excited for this...

I HOPE DARK MATTER IS THE FINAL BOSS I REALLY WANT THAT TO HAPPEN.

I just hope the soundtrack is as memorable and bubbly as the rest!