Kirby's Epic Yarn

DarkeSword

Also, what games whored the "concepts" from Superstar to death? Just the three GBA/DS titles, Squeak Squad, Nightmare Amazing Mirror? Nightmare is a remake of Adventure which isn't really like Superstar (or more accurately it's a prequel - less features, less everything.) Squeak Squad/Amazing Mirror also did not seem to capture everything that SS had, such as the multiple minigames, interesting variations on the adventure themes.

I'm in the small minority that while loving Superstar, loved Dreamland 3 more.

I think the art style ultimately won me over. And it has a really great soundtrack in my own opinion.

I think just the general aesthetic of Super-Star is done to death... Every single sprite and art design choice from Super Star is present in every kirby game afterwards (sans D3 and of course 64)... DeDeDe looked the same, all the enemies looked the same, etc etc. Now I know someone will say "yeah you really can't make a waddle dee look different" Well you can and you can't.

Nightmare may have been a remake of adventure, but its choices (and again art style) were pretty much lifting Superstar into a different game. And the same would happen with Amazing Mirror and Squeak Squad.

Now I loved all those games (except SS, but I didn't play it because I heard it was sub-par...), but I would like a detour from that Superstar aesthetic.

And yes I know I am bitching about a minor thing in only three subsequent Kirby games. Well four if you count the remake of Superstar.

It sounds like you're only talking about the art style, which IMO is not a good complaint. A new Wii Kirby game in the style of Superstar could have really any graphical style - but I highly doubt it would be at all like the SS/Nightmare style because that wouldn't be taking advantage of all the neat graphical stuff you can do on the Wii.

Gameplay-wise (which is whawt matters here) Nightmare is not really like Superstar on the whole. How much did you really play SS? The game had a number of separate minigame modes, all of which were entertaining. It had an enormous, non-linear treasure hunting map more similar to Metroid or Castlevania than anything else. It had a more traditional romp with a linear progression (plus a hard version with a completely different story/setting). It had an incredibly cool and challenging boss rush mode, and an epic space adventure that even had a 2D SHMUP as one of the levels (?!)

Nightmare simply is NOT all of that.

Didn't you play Kirby and the Amazing Mirror or Kirby Squeak Squad?

No, the last GBA/DS Kirby game i played was nightmare in dreamland, and it was fun, I forgot about that until you brought that up. Do Mirror or Squeak Squad have as many attacks per power as Super Star? That was one of my favorite things, it wasn't that you just simply threw with the cutter, but you could pull of all the other moves, too.

I should go back and play those two games you mentioned, though :)

Every single sprite and art design choice from Super Star is present in every kirby game afterwards (sans D3 and of course 64)... DeDeDe looked the same, all the enemies looked the same, etc etc.

yeah I mean kirby has been round and pink in every game I mean what is up with that

I suppose I stand for the most part corrected...

Though the two posts above me apparently didn't see that point I put it

Now I know someone will say "yeah you really can't make a waddle dee look different" Well you can and you can't.

For the record, I DID beat Superstar several times. And like I said, I love every bit of it (well to be accurate, I love everything except Spring Breeze. No LoLoLo/Lalala's castle? No Kaboola? Come on... And yes I know the remake put Kabula back in). I've played every Kirby game except Squeak Squad and Air Ride, as well.

My complaint is that I suppose that I feel like nearly every Kirby game afterward was trying to "be Superstar" and not being as good as Superstar... However, there's a really great Kirby game (Dreamland 3) that DIDN'T try to be Superstar and then it's written off as "it's not good like Superstar"; I feel like Dreamland 3 is the more "fuller" experience of the two games, and that i like more.

And Zergon, from what I hear, skip Squeak Squad and get Amazing Mirror (which I HAVE played). I think AM is one of the very best Kirby games, and probably the best recent one. It's basically a Metroid nonlinear map stuck inside a Kirby game. LOADS of fun.

What I don't get is why you're comparing all the other games with dreamland? Are you saying you liked Dreamland 3 more because all subsequent games tried to be too much like superstar? O_o

That video made the kirby game look a lot funner. I'm still put off by the fact that he doesn't suck up or absorb enemies powers that's a trademark of kirby that shoulda stayed intact in some form. Still want this though looks fun as hell.

Frankly, I would love another Dream Land 3 esque game...

Oh wait, that's this game.

So yes, I'm getting this.

I love Super Star, but the series has really whored that game's concepts to death...

I want a return to the Dreamland saga, myself. What I call the 'true' Kirby games, lol (Dreamland, D2, D3, and Crystal Shards which is basically Dreamland 4).

But I am very happy and very excited for this...

I HOPE DARK MATTER IS THE FINAL BOSS I REALLY WANT THAT TO HAPPEN.

I just hope the soundtrack is as memorable and bubbly as the rest!

Amen. Unfortunately, Shinichi Shimomura--the presumed creator of Dark Matter/Zero, Gooey, and the Animal Friends--has since faded into obscurity.

I miss the animal friends. There was something about getting Kine, the fish, and then grabbing the electric power... heh, fish-bulb.

A few years after the game came out, the episode of The Simpsons where Homer finds that Japanese soap box with his likeness on it aired, and ever since then, when I would get Kine and the electric power, I'd go around shooting everything, saying "FISHBULB!"

This game looks so awesome. I don't get why people are complaining about the lack of sucking in and spitting out enemies though. The basic mechanic of grabbing and throwing enemies in Epic Yarn is pretty much the same thing, just with different gameplay-branching possibilities.

No, it's different. It looks different, it plays different (even though the vast majority of us haven't actually played it) and it's too kiddy, too Nintendo, and not enough like _____ for the _____. It obviously sucks, and you all suck for even thinking of liking it.

I think that way...but I'm serious about it. :|

And Zergon, from what I hear, skip Squeak Squad and get Amazing Mirror (which I HAVE played). I think AM is one of the very best Kirby games, and probably the best recent one. It's basically a Metroid nonlinear map stuck inside a Kirby game. LOADS of fun.

Squeak Squad was fine. They're all good. Super Star was a good game, but people need to stop acting like there haven't been any Kirby games since then. Dream Land 3, Crystal Shards, Amazing Mirror, Squeak Squad, and Super Star Ultra's extra games are all excellent, right up there with Super Star. Personally I think Adventure/Nightmare in Dreamland is much better than Super Star, but like everyone who puts Super Star on a pedestal, it's just the nostalgia talking.

Squeak Squad was fine. They're all good. Super Star was a good game, but people need to stop acting like there haven't been any Kirby games since then. Dream Land 3, Crystal Shards, Amazing Mirror, Squeak Squad, and Super Star Ultra's extra games are all excellent, right up there with Super Star. Personally I think Adventure/Nightmare in Dreamland is much better than Super Star, but like everyone who puts Super Star on a pedestal, it's just the nostalgia talking.

Been replaying dream land 3 recently. The game is just as fun as I remember it being. :)

The music in it is also kick ass!