The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword

DarkeSword

So am I insulting the composer of FFXII if I say I can't remember a single song from the game, and think they were all pretty similar-sounding, or at least similar in their forgetfulness?

Anyhoo, you better believe I am excited for this...

But priorities, you know? I have to get Metroid first, ha.

I think the watercolor look is looking really cool for the game, though I am on the fence about the Link model, between "it's good" and "it a'ight".

I would have gone for a little younger, like say young Link in OoT (though that's where I would want my OoT similarities to end).

As a huge Majora fan (being my favorite Zelda and one of all time favorite games), I was pleased as punch to see it in the litany of Zelda games shown during the trailer.

I had a cool idea for Skyward Sword.

Picture this:

Link lives in SkyLoft, a island above the clouds.

skyisland.jpg

From here, all around is a sea of clouds.

cloud_sea2-420.jpg

One day, Link accidentally falls off the island and into the clouds. He lands on a cliff and sees a landscape of steam factories.

pollution.jpg

The clouds are actually the steam rising from the factories of an advanced race of monsters living below skyloft, where locomotives, warmechs and other steam-punk style technology is produced.

air-pollution.jpg

Link has to fight his way through one of the factories, where he finds an awesome treasure: A steam powered jetpack!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k07cS_yNtck&feature=related (Skip to 2:07)

The Boss of the dungeon would be a monster using an enormous flying machine:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=za0oktTQh8Y&feature=related

I think that would be neat.

I had a cool idea for Skyward Sword.

Picture this:

Link lives in SkyLoft, a island above the clouds.

skyisland.jpg

From here, all around is a sea of clouds.

cloud_sea2-420.jpg

One day, Link accidentally falls off the island and into the clouds. He lands on a cliff and sees a landscape of steam factories.

pollution.jpg

The clouds are actually the steam rising from the factories of an advanced race of monsters living below skyloft, where locomotives, warmechs and other steam-punk style technology is produced.

air-pollution.jpg

Link has to fight his way through one of the factories, where he finds an awesome treasure: A steam powered jetpack!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k07cS_yNtck&feature=related (Skip to 2:07)

The Boss of the dungeon would be a monster using an enormous flying machine:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=za0oktTQh8Y&feature=related

I think that would be neat.

This... would actually be a pretty awesome premise. Not one I'd use for a Zelda game, but you could spin a really neat original story out of this.

This... would actually be a pretty awesome premise. Not one I'd use for a Zelda game, but you could spin a really neat original story out of this.

I was actually thinking the exact same thing.

I'm very excited at the prospect of an orchestral score. I would assume that means a live score. so we could still end up with some live recordings of pieces that don't utilize the full orchestra.

I'm also excited to not have seen a "helper" character anywhere in that trailer. Midna was an excellent character, and I really liked her role in TP. but 4 console Zeldas with a helper of some sort got old fast, probably somewhere around the eleventy billionth time Navi said "Hey, Listen!" before you made it to Death Mountain.

I'm looking forward to another zelda. Visually I think this looks as close to a 3d representation of lttp as you can get. And the controls look like they'll be engaging rather than gimmicky. Now I just need a wii....

• 7 months later...

Wow, guys... I hate the design of this game. Cartoony is cool, but this is very "Animal Crossing".

Nintendo says, "BRIGHT COLORS WILL WIN US A NEW GENERATION OF YOUNG ZELDA GAMERS!"

Even the monster design is seriously laughable.

Lame goblins enclosed

I know these are early screens, so I'm hoping they tweak some stuff. To continue, the textures don't blend all that well and overall look very 'blah' despite the bright colors. I love cartoony, Wind Waker being my second favorite game ever, but this is just poor execution.

Wow, guys... I hate the design of this game. Cartoony is cool, but this is very "Animal Crossing".

Nintendo says, "BRIGHT COLORS WILL WIN US A NEW GENERATION OF YOUNG ZELDA GAMERS!"

Even the monster design is seriously laughable.

Lame goblins enclosed

I know these are early screens, so I'm hoping they tweak some stuff. To continue, the textures don't blend all that well and overall look very 'blah' despite the bright colors. I love cartoony, Wind Waker being my second favorite game ever, but this is just poor execution.

No, you're wrong, this looks great.

I agree with DarkeSword. It looks brilliant.

This watercolory look is a great design choice after Twilight Princess.

The whole "dark and mature" thing felt a tad forced. I think the character design was particularly bad; a mish-mash of cartoonish and realism that ventured too far into uncanny valley.

That damn Ordon Village store keeper. And the BABY man.

the art style is basically the everything that was good about wind waker and everything that was good about twilight princess

I like it a lot

I disagree.

Twilight-Princess-Telma.png

I can't be the only one who thinks that's hideous. And before you say it, imagine if she didn't have boobs. Yes, she would still be ugly.

The art design is really a large part of why I couldn't appreciate Twilight Princess. Colin with his massive forehead didn't do much for me. The plot also pales in comparison to Majora's Mask, and I can say make that comparison because TP tried really hard to be edgy and mature. I don't think it succeeded.

And to the guy who bumped this thread, damn you for getting my hopes up.

^You're right. Whereas Wind Waker had an original and (dare I say) timeless art style, TP defaulted to the same tired, bloom-heavy "realism" that we see in every other game. I like SS's approach a lot better.

Although, I will say that TP got some stuff right on the art direction side of things, even if the graphics style was pretty boring.

I like skyward swords style a lot. I made a new game file in TP a couple days ago, and the visuals are bland and really tough to get used to after playing so many games with better graphics, even other wii games.

I just hope the game is more challenging and deviates away from the traditional Zelda formula a bit. From what I've heard they are working on that.

Part of it's the fact that you can still see terrible tree-leaf-modeling in the first. And the textures feel like Kirby games to me, which is a bit... out of place.

Then again, why am I comparing to Kirby when I've never played it? 0.o

I don't really think it's fair to focus on tree-leaf modeling as an issue.

If anything minor environmental details like that should be an afterthought. At least the trees are actually rendered and not just decals on the skybox.