The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword

DarkeSword

Wow, guys... I hate the design of this game. Cartoony is cool, but this is very "Animal Crossing".

Nintendo says, "BRIGHT COLORS WILL WIN US A NEW GENERATION OF YOUNG ZELDA GAMERS!"

Even the monster design is seriously laughable.

Lame goblins enclosed

What is it with people who need dark, realistic art just to play a damn GAME?

Also, bright, fun colors =/= easy or for kids. Take, for example, Kirby's Epic Yarn. I'll admit that i fell into that trap at the beginning. "Oh it's so cute! It's so fun...but it's for kids!"

No. That got squashed VERY quickly. Kirby's Epic Yarn challenges you. Kids, especially kids who have NO clue what the fuck to do, would have massive problems. Seriously, can you find all of the music cds, the apartment furniture *and* all the gems in each stage? AND keep the baddies from hitting you/taking your gems? And the boss stages, those have gem tallies too. It's NOT THAT EASY.

Going back to The Legend of Zelda as a series, this is a game I'm sure they're experimenting with, much like Wind Waker. I remember there being a SHIT SLINGING FEST because of the art style in that game. But in hindsight it's one of their best games. Change is good, guys, and i know we as gamers despise change, but with the new technology possibilities coming out, I'd say this is the best route to take.

I'm one of those people who say 3D is a fad that will go away one day, and to me, the art style of Skyward Sword says "Maybe we should try something other than shoving those kind of graphics down people's throats.' There's nothing wrong with Monet. Hell they might even try the Picasso style for all I know. We'd probably bitch about that too.

In all honesty, I'm going to wait and see. There's some things i'm not quite sure about for SS (the whip) and there's some things i've noticed that i'm downright scared of the possibilities (why is there a healthbar for the shield?). I will say this though - after Twilight Princess being so dark and 'realistic' (for a LOZ video game), I'm excited for a change of pace.

KEY was beyond easy when it came to just beating the game. Getting 100% increased the difficulty significantly. Not to DKCR's level of difficulty, mind you. Not even quite as hard as the last levels of NSMBW. But yeah, no 3 year old is going to get 100% in KEY.

I'm a fan of less brown in games, so go SS artstyle!

What is it with people who need dark, realistic art just to play a damn GAME?

Cool to see you ignored my "cartoony is cool" comment, but I'm glad I helped you release all that bottled-up angst toward graphic whores, even if I'm not one. Wind Waker is, in fact, my favorite Zelda game. The only thing I hate about WW is how un-challenging it is.

What I don't like is the look that results from taking cel-shaded style graphics then removing the cel-shading. It looks like a re-texture project for an OoT ROM, the only thing separating it is that "watercolor" filter they're using, which does look cool.

I'm discovering I'm not very alone in criticizing the graphics. OCR just happens to only have me in that crowd, but I don't want the misconception floating around that I only want realistic, dark, and gloomy.

It looks like a re-texture project for an OoT ROM

But what's wrong with that? It still looks cool.

If you don't want to be considered a graphics whore, stop complaining about graphics.

The only time complaining about graphics is warranted is when it's an eyesore (like Goldeneye for Wii. Jaggies everywhere, textures unclear, etc. at least that's how it was at NY comic con. Pulling up images, it's a bit better). Complaining about the style is just subjective. In other words, even if you say cartoony is cool, you're still being a graphics whore.

zelda games have never been exceedingly challenging nor do they need to be

I found OoT and MM more challenging than WW and TP, an issue for certain types of gamers. You really don't think WW's challenge was a bit overly lenient? I'm not in it primarily for the challenge, but it does rob me of a sense of accomplishment when the final boss didn't hit me once.

neblix, please define graphics whore for me. I feel like I have a misunderstanding of the term.

Originally Posted by Modus viewpost.gif

I found OoT and MM more challenging than WW and TP

I don't care

I don't think anybody cares.

Cool to see you ignored my "cartoony is cool" comment, but I'm glad I helped you release all that bottled-up angst toward graphic whores, even if I'm not one.

Your entire argument seems to be based around "it's not OOT" and "the graphics suck, and i'm the only one who matters".

Nintendo wants to make money by trying something different. Don't like it? Don't buy it and quit bitchin'. Bark up another tree.

Also, the level of difficulty in Legend of Zelda as a series seems to be varied from person to person. To the people who thought Twilight Princess was easy - teach me, sensei. Your wii skills must be perfect, and you instantly know where shit is, and where to go. I spent a total of 6 days in the Water Temple. WITH A GUIDE. 3 of those days were spent on the boss itself. Which, had anyone told me i could fucking Z-target the eye WHILE swimming, it would have taken me the total of 15 minutes it did to get out of there.

Oh wait. Ya'll are talking about the GAMECUBE version. Where all you do is sit on your ass and mash buttons. Yeah, i can see how that would be too damn easy. My bad.

Is...that an argument that the Wii version is better? I am honestly not sure.

I only have ever played the Wii version, and honestly, it's the first Wii game i played. Before i actually did research on it, I was not aware Gamecube had its version first.

In the Wii's defense, because of the controls and my own clumsiness, yes, this version is difficult compared to a gamecube controller. Does that mean that mashing buttons and sitting down for your boss battles (like every version before the wii released) is ultimately superior? I'm confused. I thought the argument was to have *more* difficult/challenging gameplay. Now you're saying it should be *less* so?

Just because the Wii's controls are different doesn't make the game itself more or less difficult by a whole order or magnitude. Honestly, some people are just better than others at solving the kind of puzzles Zelda throws at you. To those who it's a challenge for, and who still push through anyway, congrats! I bet you can enjoy the game in a completely different way than many of u s, and I bet you feel more satisfied and accomplished than we would at beating each dungeon.

How was Minish Cap hard for you, if i may ask?

Actually FINDING everything is an absolute and total pain in the ass.

Light Arrows? If you visit the sick old man with the ghost hovering around him early, when you come back he's dead and gone. And you cannot get the Light Arrows. In no way does the game indicate this, nor do you have any idea that doing this out of sequence (which is hilariously easy to do, mind) will have major repercussions later on.

Same thing with the Goron side-quest; if you do a kinstone unlock before another one, you'll be short one Goron and thus, never get that 4th bottle. And if you don't have the right kinstones for the King and his adviser before a certain point in time, you can't do the kinstone unlocks with them either.

If you don't have some sort of prescient knowledge before playing the game you'll never figure this out and skip a number of treasures and side-quests. Otherwise the game isn't very difficult at all, though Vaati is rather annoying.

Your entire argument seems to be based around "it's not OOT" and "the graphics suck, and i'm the only one who matters".

I'm just jealous that everyone else likes the new style because I want to really badly.

Nintendo wants to make money by trying something different. Don't like it? Don't buy it and quit bitchin'. Bark up another tree.

Why can't I just express an opinion for the sake of discussion? why does it have to turn into this? I'm buying the game because it's ZELDA and it's about gameplay, just wasn't crazy about the look.

u mad :o

I only have ever played the Wii version, and honestly, it's the first Wii game i played. Before i actually did research on it, I was not aware Gamecube had its version first.

In the Wii's defense, because of the controls and my own clumsiness, yes, this version is difficult compared to a gamecube controller. Does that mean that mashing buttons and sitting down for your boss battles (like every version before the wii released) is ultimately superior? I'm confused. I thought the argument was to have *more* difficult/challenging gameplay. Now you're saying it should be *less* so?

Difficulty should not come from lousy controls.

I love hard games, but difficulty should come from the actual design of the game, making it rewarding when you win. Bad controls can result in "fake difficulty", which is awful.

TP was a game that was designed for the cube and hastily ported to the wii (mirrored world, lol), resulting in shit that is bad.

In all seriousness, Modus is getting a lot of underserved flack. He's not being pretentious. It's just a question of taste. SS's artstyle simply doesn't appeal to him. That's not a big deal. It's his opinion. When it comes to art, it's all subjective anyways. There comes a time and a place when we don't like something, yet we can't really describe why in the best way possible. Now, in my opinion, I find the graphics to be more stimulating than TP's more washed out look.

Speaking of TP, I played the Wii version in 2006, and the GCN version in 2009, and I didn't notice a difficulty spike in either version. (I can't understand how someone would get stuck in the Water Temple for 6 days...)

• 1 month later...