The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword

DarkeSword

I've been playing it on Dolphin since Friday(I have my bought and paid for copy sitting next to me unopened, Nazis), and I can say that the game runs pretty well, albeit a bit slowly. I recently downloaded the recommended Dolphin revision(7719) however and pretty much all visual issues that I've experienced thus far in the latest revision(smudgy backgrounds and such) have pretty much been eliminated. Just got in an hour in a new game, so I can comment on slowdown in areas like the bazaar or with a bunch of monsters on screen, but thus far none at all.

I'm playing with the internal res at 1.5 and could probably try 2, but don't know about anti-aliasing just yet. Work to do now.

My system specs are a 1 gig GTX 460, 4 gigs o' DDR3 RAM, and an unlocked Phenom II x4 at 3.5 ghz for anyone who's interested.

I've been playing my copy pretty much all day and only just now gotten to the second land point (Fire Temple area). Gamestop is selling a collector's edition guide, which is a hard cover with a fabric world map inside, for those who are interested.

I find myself thoroughly enjoying the gameplay, the story, the new controls and the overhauled mechanics. I'm in love with Link and Zelda's designs and can't wait to see what they do with the story. The music is beautiful, and I find myself comparing the dungeon that I played to what I'd seen of Wind Waker already. Is it just me, or did those seem short? Once you get the idea of the temples down, it seems pretty straightforward. Keep in mind, i haven't been to the Fire Temple yet.

Loved the first boss fight, even if his introduction *was* creepy.

Lol, overreacting much? This is a very minor nuisance, not nearly as bad as you put it. IMHO.

Have you played it yet?

It is EXACTLY as bad as I described it. There is no longer a permanent flag that says "they already got this message", so now you get it every single time you turn your system back on. That's a LOT of messages repeated.

Have you played it yet?

It is EXACTLY as bad as I described it. There is no longer a permanent flag that says "they already got this message", so now you get it every single time you turn your system back on. That's a LOT of messages repeated.

I wouldn't be surprised if they do this for colorblindedness, but that doesn't make sense 'cause it only does it once every time you start up the game unless it's a treasure chest.

Still annoying though.

I am LOVING the game so far! At first, I wasn't too fond of the graphics. They were nice, but it wasn't until the night scene that the pure artistry of this game hit me. It really is beautiful.

The characters are so vibrant with wonderful little touches! In the bazaar there's that creepy salesman who looks like the happy mask salesman, and if you walk away from his stand he sulks!

The music! Wow, the music is wonderful! That scene where Zelda sings...wow.

And the gameplay is great! The enemies are so smart and complex! They learn and react to my attacks and anticipate what I'm about to do!

And Fi...She's cool, but I have some interesting theories about her. Have you noticed the way she talks? But no spoilers please!

I'm only a little into the first temple. Those Skulltulas took me forever to figure out how to beat!

Anyone else playing in Dolphin? Here are some 1080p shots.

Please edit those images to just links. It makes it a bit annoying to read the forum page when they take up half the page length. Also, it sort of helps to only load one image at a time for us with slower internet connections. Thank you.

I'll delete this message after.

The game looks super pretty; I hear it's more linear than previous ones, which is a huge plus for me.

Any confirmation on this by people who have already played it?

Will be able to tell you either tonight or tomorrow. Sleep schedule is rather messed up today, brain's on zombie mode still. Arrow might have started playing since he got home yesterday.

Is the game linear? Yes. WARNINGL POSSIBLE MINOR SPOILERS IN THIS POST (none story related, all gameplay related)

There's no real "overworld"; you get your town of Skyloft (this game's Kakariko) and you get to fly around there in a very very VERY miniature version of Wind Waker's ocean sailing. There are small islands with treasure chests but again, it's very small.

Skyloft acts as a hub point from which you choose which area of the game you want to go to. So you don't "Travel" in the traditional Zelda sense. From Skyloft there are several teleport points within the land below that you can simply warp to.

Each outside "area" of the game is in and of itself "dungeon" like. It may be a large outer area but there's usually always a point A and a point B that you will go to. You can explore this area, and some are bigger than others, but there's nothing remotely class to traveling from say, Lake Hylia to Death Mountain or from the Goron Village to Kakariko.

There are no other towns in the game as far as I know other than Skyloft.

The game also almost never stops prompting you with hints and telling you outright exactly what to do before you know (and even when you DO know) what to do. You thought it was bad in previous Zelda games? They turned it up to 11 here.

Edit: in regards to the linearity, it's not to the literal corridor fest of FF13, but when you get down to it it's similar. Just instead of corridors you have slightly open areas.

Is the game linear? Yes. WARNINGL POSSIBLE MINOR SPOILERS IN THIS POST (none story related, all gameplay related)

There's no real "overworld"; you get your town of Skyloft (this game's Kakariko) and you get to fly around there in a very very VERY miniature version of Wind Waker's ocean sailing. There are small islands with treasure chests but again, it's very small.

Skyloft acts as a hub point from which you choose which area of the game you want to go to. So you don't "Travel" in the traditional Zelda sense. From Skyloft there are several teleport points within the land below that you can simply warp to.

Each outside "area" of the game is in and of itself "dungeon" like. It may be a large outer area but there's usually always a point A and a point B that you will go to. You can explore this area, and some are bigger than others, but there's nothing remotely class to traveling from say, Lake Hylia to Death Mountain or from the Goron Village to Kakariko.

There are no other towns in the game as far as I know other than Skyloft.

The game also almost never stops prompting you with hints and telling you outright exactly what to do before you know (and even when you DO know) what to do. You thought it was bad in previous Zelda games? They turned it up to 11 here.

Edit: in regards to the linearity, it's not to the literal corridor fest of FF13, but when you get down to it it's similar. Just instead of corridors you have slightly open areas.

This is actually pretty much exactly what I am looking for. Thanks for the heads up. :-D

I haven't noticed any of the obvious hints. There's been many times when I've had to ask for a hint :S
yeah, this is what I've heard the most. from what ive been told, it's the hardest 3d zelda in that the puzzles aren't standard zelda fare and fi doesn't interrupt unless you ask her to.

yeah, this is what I've heard the most. from what ive been told, it's the hardest 3d zelda in that the puzzles aren't standard zelda fare and fi doesn't interrupt unless you ask her to.

In my experience playing the game so far, id have to agree. There's some talking with the dowsing mechanic, and there IS some "you should do this because I said so," but for the most part it's alright.

The game's really great, but it does suffer a bit from "Go get a propellor so you can put it in this so it can do that so you can get the clue to get the three things so you can finally proceed."

Yeah, when I heard that propellor bit...I was a bit miffed.

Other than that, the mining facility was really really awesome! Really loved how the music would change when you affected the area.

UPDATE: So I'm 17 hours in and it's so awesome. While the dungeons aren't large spatially, they are very dense, using the smaller area to their advantage. That is one very nice thing about them, imo. They don't overwhelm you with their sheer magnitude like they did in Twilight Princess.

However, and this is a minor complaint I have against all zeldas: why are almost all the dungeons you go to destroyed or in a state of disrepair? Seriously, aren't there any fresh or intact temples? That's why I loved the Temple of Time in Twilight Princess: It FELT like a real, fully functioning temple.

*mild spoilers*

Just finished the Ancient Cistern, quite the interesting dungeon. The section above versus below was quite a jarring and effective transition. But it was the boss that really stole the show. Really love how even in the bosses they introduce whole new gameplay concepts on the fly! And the creative use of the dungeon item is a very welcome change.

The game's really great, but it does suffer a bit from "Go get a propellor so you can put it in this so it can do that so you can get the clue to get the three things so you can finally proceed."

Yeah, when I heard that propellor bit...I was a bit miffed.

Other than that, the mining facility was really really awesome! Really loved how the music would change when you affected the area.

UPDATE: So I'm 17 hours in and it's so awesome. While the dungeons aren't large spatially, they are very dense, using the smaller area to their advantage. That is one very nice thing about them, imo. They don't overwhelm you with their sheer magnitude like they did in Twilight Princess.

However, and this is a minor complaint I have against all zeldas: why are almost all the dungeons you go to destroyed or in a state of disrepair? Seriously, aren't there any fresh or intact temples? That's why I loved the Temple of Time in Twilight Princess: It FELT like a real, fully functioning temple.

*mild spoilers*

Just finished the Ancient Cistern, quite the interesting dungeon. The section above versus below was quite a jarring and effective transition. But it was the boss that really stole the show. Really love how even in the bosses they introduce whole new gameplay concepts on the fly! And the creative use of the dungeon item is a very welcome change.

I'm one dungeon ahead of you, and obtained the second flame yesterday night.

you want a fully functioning dungeon? well wait until the next tempel, which isn't a temple in fact, but functioning quite well (timestone, anyone?)

another interesting note about skyward sword is the main theme.

but because I don't want to type erverything again (and copy pasting the same text in the same forum twice is also stupid), I simply link my request thread here:

http://ocremix.org/forums/showthread.php?p=822299#post822299

you can read everything about the message in the main theme of skyward sword there.