The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword

DarkeSword

Like I said, I don't really care. It's great if a game does open-world well(and that's up to the eye of the beholder, and these eyes say "meh" for the most part), but I'm not going to dock points from a game or flat out avoid it just because it has tunnel vision.

To me that says they spent more time making sure it was a tight and well-crafted gameplay experience(ideally) rather than tossing in everything up to and including the kitchen sink and hoping for the best.

So the Sand Sea was really, really awesome. Probably the best music in the game so far, too. It really reminded me of the crashed frigate from Metroid Prime.

But I have a small rantish thing...It's mildly spoilery, but not about the plot. More about a gameplay element, the time stones. So...watch out.

When you create that 'time bubble' where you see into the past, really, if you break a barrel in the past it should still be there in the future, but that's not the big thing.

In that part in the sand sea with Skipper, it would have been so emotionally impacting if he takes you to these ruins, and says "look at that palace! Isn't it magnificent?" Because you see it in the future, but he sees it in the past. It's like you're stepping into a bubble of the past, and if you leave it the creatures in the past can't see you anymore. So when he acknowledged that he can see the future beyond the bubble...it kind of ruined it for me. I choose instead to believe that they cannot see beyond the bubble into the future.

Aside that, though, of course, going into the past should mess up the future, but I suppose since all those creatures died in the same place they were in the past implies that there was some sort of cataclysmic event that destroyed Lanayru and turned it into a desert wasteland before anyone had a chance to react.

Ah well, it still makes for great gameplay.

Yeah... but do you need a $450 video card for it to work at a proper framerate?

Like I said, I'm playing the game at twice the native resolution and it's running pretty smoothly thus far(12 hours in) with a GTX 460 which you can grab for around $150.

Of course for maximum compatibility, you can't go wrong with playing it on your Wii, but man, HD is so nice.

Exactly. And so far, Skyward Sword seems to have a wonderful, fantasy story that benefits from the linearity. I'm really excited to see what happens next. The cutscenes are really well done and very cinematic, on that note.

They are, and it makes me wish I could play the game on/with Dolphin. The game already looks and feels great (took a break as I just stepped in the first temple/dungeon/whatchamacallit) and I also do like the changes to the controls they made. Most notably the spinslash: no need to shake the wiimote like a maniac to maybe have it happen on the first try. The shield raise/bump is nice too.

Whole thing does feel linear (with the usual collectible items/hearts to sidetrack you) but the story has a nice flow up to now. The music adds to the ambiance very well too, I love it.

Took about 5 mins to really get used to the flying controls sensitivity(I blame it on playing so much HotD:Overkill), but it's pretty nifty. Seems like it's one of the rare games where the motion control isn't fidgety.

My wrist hurts though right now :<

I've never played this game but seriously the best spoilers it has are sand sea, mining cave, time stones? meh

Is the green hat a bird in this one? I'd be more surprised by that

I'm not sure what any of the above things mean, but I'd appreciate it if you left things originally put inside spoiler boxes left inside spoiler boxes.

thank you very much.

Yeah... but do you need a $450 video card for it to work at a proper framerate?

Dolphin?

No. It isn't GPU reliant very much at all. If anything, it's CPU reliant. A modern CPU clocked at around 3.5GHz will get you a maxed out 30FPS in Skyward Sword, maybe a dip or two here. 4GHz intel processor? forget about it, 60FPS Mario Galaxy @ 1080p glory.

The only reason Zelda only gets 30 FPS is because that's what Nintendo hardcoded it for. Galaxy 1&2 are a beautiful 60fps the entire time.

K I dont understand why people call this game linear. It isn't linear.

Lets take OOT for example. You're telling me that if you removed the field in the middle, and all the areas were "separate" that would make the game linear?

if anything, the flying bit in this game replaces the field essentially. There is really nothing linear about this game :S imo anyways.

As far as the game goes. I feel like its my favourite zelda so far. Gameplay is great, story is great (I dont know what the general consensus of the story is here, but I think It's awesome), items are great (I really like some of the new items they have introduced), upgrading system, etc. I could go on

Cant wait to keep playing tonight :D

RAWRAWRAWRAWRAWRAWRAWRAWRARAWR

What are you looking for in this game to make you happy? (not trying to start a fight here, i'm seriously asking.) Seriously, I think Nintendo paid attention to everything that was good and yes, bad, in the Legend of Zelda series and did what they could to make it the best in the series. No, it's not perfect, but when you look at the LOZ fanbase, we have a history of bitching about a new release, picking it apart, and then five years later finally catching up with Nintendo and saying "hey, this was actually pretty good." *coughWindWakercough*

I think there's nice touches that bring back memories of very specific games. Link to the Past, Ocarina of Time, Wind Waker...hell, even Twilight Princess and some of the handhelds. I truly do believe that Nintendo tried to please us this time, and remind us that we've had wonderful times with this series. This is a good 25th anniversary gift.

@Hylian Lemon, are you gonna go for the new game+ feature?

linearity in most cases is now determined by whether or not you can drive around the city and kill hookers in between missions

i am also of the camp that says linearity isn't always a bad thing i'm pretty sure just about everything else in entertainment (see movies, music, television, books) is linear as well, usually storytelling works in a beginning to end fashion after all.

@Hylian Lemon, are you gonna go for the new game+ feature?

I'll probably give it a shot the next time I decide to replay. I'll have to do a minimal-health run at some point, too (guess we can't call it a 3-heart run anymore). Of course, I have yet to beat Majora's Wrath with 3 hearts, but I'm workin' on it. Trying to avoid getting sword upgrades if I can help it.