Metal Gear Solid Remix

This is going to be a combination of the "Encounter" from MGS and the main theme. I don't care about the "controversy" (nor do I want to discuss it in this thread) I was very disappointed that the main theme has been dropped from the MGS series after 3, and that the original encounter theme was never used after the original MGS. My original intention was to do a version of the main theme that would fit in well with 4, but now I think I'm just going to have fun with it and write the arrangement the way I want to. The final version will be more than twice this length.

Thank you for your feedback. http://www.evanarnett.com/audio/downloads/mgs8-15.mp3

Should this really titled Sviridov's "Snow Storm" remix?

Anyhow, sounds great so far. Great start you have here. Nice mastering. Very close in style to the actual game soundtrack, which may work for or against the mix if you intend to submit it, depending if the panel finds it endearing or not interpretive enough. I like it. But you gotta finish it!

• 2 weeks later...

Link updated! I'd say it's about half finished now. I'm almost to the beginning of the climax where the melody of the theme comes in full force. A few parts sill sound a bit too sparse to my ears. I've done a lot of thematic development and alteration/combination of the themes from the game, and I hope the panel will appreciate it.

Once the main melody kicks in, I think the supporting brass could be toned down a little bit.

Overall though, this is REALLY good, it's very similar to the source material but you worked the themes in well together. Might be too conservative to submit to the OCR judges, but it's really enjoyable to listen to!! Can't wait to hear where you go with this dude :-)

• 3 weeks later...

Okay, so..the link has been updated again, and it's almost done. The last two minutes are still pretty rough. The piano at the end is probably going to be more elaborate and the entire second half of the melody is going to be fully orchestrated. It has a crazy basstastic interlude...doesn't quite fit perfectly yet, but we'll see what I can do with it.

DAAAAAAAMMNNN!!! I almost want to accuse you of just posting the original track. The comp/editing is very solid. Shit! I had a long written post about how perfect it was and if it didn't get accepted, our world would cave into itself and some other crap, but then I heard the outro piano. It doesn't quite sound right to me when I hear it. The whole track is midi, so I;m not surprised at it, but it seems out of character with the rest of the track. Maybe a little more sustain on it? Maybe a little verb/ long delay? I don't quite know, but it stood out to me. Anyway, sick job overall. I'll "shamelessly" post my recruitment thread RIGHT HERE if you're interest in working on a project that I'm trying to get going. :smile:

Thanks for all the nice replies.

Emunator: I took your advice and turned down the brass since the last version!

No Escape: I hear you on the piano. Not sure why it sticks out sonically, it has the same reverb as everything else and the sustain pedal is play in a standard way- changing with the harmony. It does sound a little bland though compared to that other metal remix by that Reuben Kee guy, so maybe I'll just leave the piano to him. I really liked his snake vs dragon mixes...hopefully he'll post some new stuff soon.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Yeah my site went down for a little bit : (

Currently trying to recruit a horn player from my university to record, to replace at least one of the trumpet solo lines.

Alright, the site is back up. The link was also leading to an older version of the track, and I fixed it. Still trying to book a horn player to replace the trumpet lines, but I've been busy with school. It should be done in another month or so.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
my opinion

You took a dificult music to make a remix

(Harry Gregson Willians & Norihiko Hibino) they are Musician masters, but you achieve a high-level in your remix for me, it deserves a submission, great melody and feeling.

Thanks for all the comments guys.

I know I've kept you all waiting a while, and I'm sorry for that. At the end of last year, my home was burglarized and I lost a lot of my studio equipment, including the computer with my Metal Gear remix.

It was so close to being finished. I was about to schedule a few brass recording sessions at my university's new recording studio to replace the somewhat blatty trumpet solos. Now it looks as if all I'll be able to do is submit the last version I posted here which was uploaded to my site. Although it's not all it could have been, I'm still proud of it. I worked really hard over 4 or 5 months on this thing off and on, and I really hope it will be accepted.