Donkey Kong Country Returns

Hobocop

]

The way I see it, people who haven't read this revelation are EXPECTING aquatic levels, and I think they'll be inclined to criticize negatively when they find out they were dropped. The 'slow' pacing of the aquatic levels was part of what made the original trilogy great; they created a nice balance. Not to mention THE MUSIC. Another thing: Slow? I guess they don't remember outswimming croctopi.

You just summed up the argument for me right there, the music.

Honestly, DKC 3's water levels were lagging, far too busy looking to me. And I agree with Retro, they do slow the games down.

I honestly trust Retro to make this game. I wish they were making Metroid Other M, the more I see of that game and it's horrible dialog, the less interested I am in it.

I'm just curious about the music. I'm sure they understand that's a big part of some fans attachment to DKC, I just hope this game will be one I can come back to again and again, unlike most games these days.

I'm also worried about the music from the water levels... they said they want to retain the key themes of the series but some of the best songs were from those kinds of levels. Interesting to see how they show up, if they do.

I'm also wondering why they always respond with "there are no crocodiles/alligators in this game" instead of just outright saying K.Rool isn't in DKCR. It's not a game breaker if he isn't in the game, but it's interesting to see these answers. I know I'm looking too far into it, but the fact that they referred to K.Rool as both a crocodile and an alligator in seperate interviews makes me wonder if they are playing with semantics.

The way I see it, people who haven't read this revelation are EXPECTING aquatic levels, and I think they'll be inclined to criticize negatively when they find out they were dropped. The 'slow' pacing of the aquatic levels was part of what made the original trilogy great; they created a nice balance. Not to mention THE MUSIC. Another thing: Slow? I guess they don't remember outswimming croctopi.

Also this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wdUNrVzT97s

I'm also worried about the music from the water levels... they said they want to retain the key themes of the series but some of the best songs were from those kinds of levels.

when they said key themes they basically meant leitmotifs that accompanied various facets of the series

odds are that they aren't going to re-use every single song from the original three games just because some fans tend to think that they're good

when they said key themes they basically meant leitmotifs that accompanied various facets of the series

odds are that they aren't going to re-use every single song from the original three games just because some fans tend to think that they're good

Tanabe: From the very beginning, there was a very strong desire on Mr. Miyamoto's part to offer up those original songs. Those original melodies. So those are the core of the music for this brand-new Donkey Kong Country.

Retro: Just an interesting note, the same composer that did all the Metroid Prime stuff is working with Nintendo's composer on the NCL side, Mr. Yamamoto. We have a long relationship with him, and the goal was to use the familiar melodies but bring them into a more contemporary sound. We didn't want it any other way. How do you have DKC without that soundtrack? So we updated it, using the staff we've used with all the other games we've worked on.

Sounds more substantial than that, in my opinion. And sorry if I gave off the impression that I thought every song in the originals would be preserved :s

There are just some that are more familiar than others, and parts of that article seemed to put those "original songs" in an ambiguous area for the moment.

So it's going to be a soundtrack of remixes?

Goddamn I wish they'd contacted OCR to do that.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

NO

as for enguarde the swordfish... they could introduce a level where you ride him on top of the water, kind of like a surfboard. that'd be a lot of fun, since it'd be pretty fast and include some nice particle effects too, i'd wager.

• 4 months later...

So... with all the cross promotional copies breaking the street date, anyone get one yet?

Game Informer was the first to review it and the game got a 9.5

It also got Game of the Month, and there are scans of the article around now. Edit: http://img580.imageshack.us/img580/9213/scan0004q.jpg

The last paragraph states

"I've been looking forward to this game for months, but the final product blew me away. It's gorgeous visuals, awesome boss battles, varied stages, and cleverly hidden secrets guarantee gamers will have a great time revisiting this classic franchise... One of the best platformers I've ever played"

That's cool that they are reworking the original melodies. Like most things, I'm sure some will be great and others blah. Either way, you've got to give Retro benefit of the doubt as to how DKCR will turn out, but after losing their three key developers, I'm not so sure. Following the commercial failure of "Other M," I'm worried as to how this one will turn out.

Well it's not like Retro made Other M. Plus, Kenji Yamamoto is a beast; I wouldn't be too worried.

Well it's not like Retro made Other M. Plus, Kenji Yamamoto is a beast; I wouldn't be too worried.

I was about to say the music should be great considering who's doing it, but those samples provided earlier... I don't know, seems like those tracks were made more shallow. I hope I'm wrong but I'm apprehensive at this point.

That's cool that they are reworking the original melodies. Like most things, I'm sure some will be great and others blah. Either way, you've got to give Retro benefit of the doubt as to how DKCR will turn out, but after losing their three key developers, I'm not so sure. Following the commercial failure of "Other M," I'm worried as to how this one will turn out.

yeah it really pans poorly for retro that a game they didn't make didn't do well

As remixes, they're just okay. But as BGM, they're pretty good. I mean, you don't want the music to overpower the game. I mean, imagine if pokemon firered used the awesome TEEM.ROKIT remix. That song would be completely out of place in-game, you know?

But I will agree, in the DKCR songs the instruments are a bit odd. The horns are pretty shrill, especially.