Donkey Kong Country Returns

Hobocop

I think one of the (relatively minor) issues I have with the music (and this is true for the levels as well) is that every piece/place I have heard or seen so far reminds me of the jungle. Sure it's DKC, but perhaps the greatest thing about the original games were that they were able to make you feel that you were in far off landscapes, even within the island... this time it feels like there is too much continuity between the levels shown and that is reflected in the music. I mean, it seems like there are cave levels... in a jungle. Canyon levels... in a jungle. Volcano... in a jungle. Then again that's not necessarily a bad thing for everyone, but I really hope the various settings are even half as strong as the originals.

I hope it's more like DKC2 than the original. I didn't like the first one at all, but it definitely looks like it share a lot more in common with that one.

Diddy Kong's Quest was an infinitely better platformer than the first DKC, but from what little we've seen from the level design, it looks like it's getting a good degree of polish.

So hopefully it won't be all flash no substance (though I doubt that'll happen).

Looking at Retro's track record with the Prime games, they have done a wonderful job balancing both artistic professionalism with professional game design.

I think one of the (relatively minor) issues I have with the music (and this is true for the levels as well) is that every piece/place I have heard or seen so far reminds me of the jungle. Sure it's DKC, but perhaps the greatest thing about the original games were that they were able to make you feel that you were in far off landscapes, even within the island... this time it feels like there is too much continuity between the levels shown and that is reflected in the music. I mean, it seems like there are cave levels... in a jungle. Canyon levels... in a jungle. Volcano... in a jungle. Then again that's not necessarily a bad thing for everyone, but I really hope the various settings are even half as strong as the originals.

That's a shame. I've been trying not to look at the game in too much detail, as I don't want to spoil much for myself. But I had misgivings it might be like this. It's like how, in Mario sports games and in Smash Bros even, Donkey Kong seems to be represented exclusively with jungle. Of course, that's the most obvious aesthetic choice, but why hasn't Smash Bros at least taken advantage of starting points like like the beehives, the theme park, the pirate ship, the enchanted forest, the factories... or, of course, the brambles... just anything else... you know? The DKC games, especially the second, had such rich environments. So much more than just stereotypical monkeys-in-a-jungle.

Which is what sorta bugs me about the tiki enemies too. They're just what you'd expect to find... in a jungle.

Obviously I miss the Kremlings. I always liked the Kremlings more than the Kongs. Since I was a little girl.

But, putting aside the nostalgic bias, it still looks like a fantastic game, with a lot of creativity and eye for detail involved in its loving creation, and one that I'll have a lot of fun with. But of course, I'll always have to put it in another category than the original trio. What they meant to my childhood can never be lived up to. That time has passed. But it's totally ok because I never expected to see another DKC game anyway, so having another one sans Kremlings and Enguarde and probably Aquatic Ambience and possibly Cranky Kong is still way more than I ever expected to get.

I was just going to say that no one can do quite what Rare did for the series- but to be fair, DKC3 wasn't as charming as its prequels, and DK64 missed a lot of the charm entirely, becoming basically an overextended Banjo-Tooie without the personality, so really I don't even know if Rare could've ever matched the first two again.

to be fair, DKC3 wasn't as charming as its prequels;

...really I don't even know if Rare could've ever matched the first two again.

I feel I have to chime in with some DKC3 defense here. On a recent play of DKC3, I had a lot of fun finding all the bonus barrels in all the levels and clearing it to 103%; a lot more fun than I can remember having with DKC2, as great as that game is. The level design is still brilliant, the music isn't horrible, there's no shortage of challenge, there aren't really any bizarre design flubs.

I don't think it's that DKC3 is a less good game than DKC2, it just has a very different flavor. Maybe it's the lack of a pirate theme, maybe it's the more 'Northern,' brighter environment, or the non-Wise soundtrack. Maybe people just don't like Kiddy.

I stand by the opinion that DKC3 is as good a game as DKC2.

I feel I have to chime in with some DKC3 defense here. On a recent play of DKC3, I had a lot of fun finding all the bonus barrels in all the levels and clearing it to 103%; a lot more fun than I can remember having with DKC2, as great as that game is. The level design is still brilliant, the music isn't horrible, there's no shortage of challenge, there aren't really any bizarre design flubs.

I don't think it's that DKC3 is a less good game than DKC2, it just has a very different flavor. Maybe it's the lack of a pirate theme, maybe it's the more 'Northern,' brighter environment, or the non-Wise soundtrack. Maybe people just don't like Kiddy.

I stand by the opinion that DKC3 is as good a game as DKC2.

Well, in my original post I had it that DKC3 wasn't as "good" as DKC2, but when I read it back over I changed it to "charming" for the very reasons you described. It is a good game. Some of the levels, in their gameplay at least, are brilliant. But it just doesn't have the charm that the first two have- at least, in my opinion. You pretty much nailed the reasons- I actually have nothing against Kiddy but a lot of the other character designs I found ugly. The levels weren't as creative and some of the music verged on bland (although some of it was very, very good). However, lack of good level design is not a fear that I have with DKCR at all, nor was it a flaw with DKC3.

You know, I'm trying hard, but for the life of me, I can't remember any song in DKC3 outside of the last boss theme.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wYfrYto7BJg

"Remembuh me?"

But yeah, the rest of the soundtrack isn't too memorable for me either... despite it being the only DKC game I owned, hehe. The others were just rentals or playing at other people's houses (and I believe I played a DKC2 rom at one point), but the DKC 1 and 2 songs are some of the best on the SNES.

Every trailer I see is so full of action 0_0; Which makes me a little worried that they're showing off a few of their awesome levels to give the impression that all the levels are like this. You know, kind of what they do with every movie trailer ever made :P

I certainly hope there will be a good balance in pacing and action.

Also, there is something about the visual style, the sounds, and the enemy designs that is really putting me off. I still want the game, but I can't help but feel that is not 'DK Country Returns' but 'DK returns...to a different country'

IDIOT EDIT:

Actually, after looking at some other gameplay video's I can say that there are definitely also more easy going levels that have plenty of charm in them :) I ish happy

Diddy Kong's Quest was an infinitely better platformer than the first DKC, but from what little we've seen from the level design, it looks like it's getting a good degree of polish.

So hopefully it won't be all flash no substance (though I doubt that'll happen).

Looking at Retro's track record with the Prime games, they have done a wonderful job balancing both artistic professionalism with professional game design.

You guys pretty much brought it up already, but what I mean is the variety of locales and the general charm. DKC2 was 'darker', but it was still charming at the same time. DKC1 was jungles, and caves, and factories. Plus I hated using DK...

It'll still be a good game, I just don't know if it'll top DKC2. And I'm not some nostalgia noob, I played the DKC games for the first time a couple years ago, I had to force myself to beat the first one, and I didn't bother with the third.

people who don't think dkc3 has memorable music are probably too caught up on how ridiculous the first level's music is

if you don't think this song is memorable than there is something wrong with you

those are the fattest, juiciest drums the SNES has ever produced come on

people who don't think dkc3 has memorable music are probably too caught up on how ridiculous the first level's music is

if you don't think this song is memorable than there is something wrong with you

those are the fattest, juiciest drums the SNES has ever produced come on

Hell yes. I would use that one first as an example of DKC3's memorable songs.

Also, what's wrong with the first level's music? ^^; It is ridiculously jolly, yes. But that befits a first level, and as far as I can remember, no stilt village levels occur later on into the game. In the GBA remake, the song for those levels was much darker, and it just felt out of place.

However... the most I can say about the first level's music is it sounds like it fits right in with a game about monkeys running around collecting bananas and balloons, riding giant spiders and jumping on waddling wide-eyed crocodiles. Which is perfectly acceptable on the one hand; however, the music of the DKC series is far more epic and atmospheric than that, usually. Which is something worthy of respect. And a big reason why I've always taken such silly games seriously.

Now I'm listening to a bunch of DKC3 music while waiting for my boyfriend to get back with the game. :3 (DKCR, that is) To be fair, I think a lot of the subtleties, the darker chords and the way different melodic lines interweave, I just didn't appreciate as a child. The music has a different flavor than the first two, though not necessarily worse. However, I still think some of the tunes are less memorable. For instance, I couldn't even remember the K. Rool battle song, whereas those of the first two are unforgettable.

Water World - here is a theme that, as hinted above, I just could not appreciate when I was younger. Compare it to the unforgettable melody of Aquatic Ambience, or the pounding epic intensity of Lockjaw's Saga, and you'll see why. But still, the chords in this song are dark and powerful.

Enchanted Riverbank is another of my favorites from the game. It's very upbeat and light, with a very fitting atmosphere for the levels, but also a fun melodic line that comes in.

Just to point out for anyone interested, Toys r Us currently has the best in-store deal value-wise: free copy of the full (as opposed to a promo) Prima strategy guide & a t-shirt worth about $17 (total of about $37 in value). Target is giving away a $10 gift card with purchase, but no extras. Finally, GameStop has a banana wii-remote cover thing.

From what I can tell, no other stores have particularly good deals on DKCR. Best Buy is $50, and I believe Kmart and Wal Mart are the same.

To be fair, I think a lot of the subtleties, the darker chords and the way different melodic lines interweave, I just didn't appreciate as a child.

I don't mean to finish posting the entire DKC3 soundtrack (as much as I like it) but I have to chime in with these two personal favorites (that demonstrate the darker mood you described):

this one I didn't notice way back when I first played the game and it's become my second favorite tune. Our own anosou remixed it:

Another great moody tune.

I think Eveline Fischer did a remarkable job at replicating the "atmospheric" somehwat minimalist feel of Wise's DKC1 soundtrack.

As for DKCR: I'll be getting my copy in the mail tomorrow. Can't wait to explore the jungle again. :3

Just to point out for anyone interested, Toys r Us currently has the best in-store deal value-wise: free copy of the full (as opposed to a promo) Prima strategy guide & a t-shirt worth about $17 (total of about $37 in value).

w_donkey_kong_img.jpg

i'll pass

^^^ That's not the shirt. It's this one:

http://media3.teenormous.com/items/www.myteespot.com/images-Images_d-img_SNfdfy.jpg

Moreover, the guide is the real prize with the Toys r Us deal. I wasn't originally going to get it, but a $20 strategy guide (which reminds me, strategy guides are overpriced these days) free with the game is one of those things you don't see often since the end of the SNES era.