Donkey Kong Country Returns

Hobocop

as much as I love DKC, it has nothing on SMG2

Depends what you're looking for... defeating Bowser at the end of Galaxy 2 in one try was disappointing. The last boss in DKCR is crazy hard and it feels great beating the game. I just wish they did to DKCR's music what they did for Galaxy. Not to mention there is no sign of anything past the first game here...

As nice as the graphics and music were in Mario Galaxy 1&2, NSMB Wii is the better game to me. It pisses me off that Nintendo's devs don't like making 2D Mario and didn't make it a bit better.

DKCR is good, took a break on it to try Fable 3....

They need to have Retro do a 2D Metroid, with zero involvement from Sakamoto...

Retro studios delivers.

Waggle is only used as a button replacement, a la SMG or Twilight Princess. It's not a big deal, and you don't really need to roll a lot anyway. I don't know why you guys are complaining about the music either. Just listen to a song like this one and you know that the groove is still very much intact. Many of the songs are

, whether you like that or not is up to you, but I like it.

There are only 2 things "missing" imo: Kremlings and water levels. The bosses are much deeper (about three or four patterns per boss, and there's usually a "berserk" form as well), the platforming is the same good ol' DKC style we know and love, and the fact that they used Super Guide in this game lets them ratchet up the difficulty to beyond what they'd be comfortable putting in a "casual" game. I definitely like Super Guide for this reason, though of course I never use it.

This is a true DKC sequel, and an instant must-have for any fan of the series. As far as the "feel" of the game goes, it's feels much more like DKC1 than it does DKC2 or DKC3.

I'm on the final boss.

EDIT: The youtube link that some of you thought was the first boss music was pulled ..

. The first 30 sec or so is intro cinematic. It's nothing special, but it's not hideous. OST Youtube Playlist

Waggle is only used as a button replacement, a la SMG or Twilight Princess. It's not a big deal, and you don't really need to roll a lot anyway. I don't know why you guys are complaining about the music either.

There's no way you're not going to be using the roll jump frequently if you're going for 100%. Many of the puzzle pieces require the technique, it's unavoidable. It just sucks when you are near the end of a difficult stage (knowing it takes a few minutes to get there from the last checkpoint) trying to get the last piece and your roll jump doesn't register despite giving it a good enough shake.

The music isn't horrible, but it fell far short of expectations for a lot of people it seems. The original tracks get better later in the game admittedly (like the Cliffs, Volcano), but the remixes are just so shallow. The only track that is an improvement over the original, in my opinion, is the main bonus room theme (and maybe some of the mine cart and Northern Hemispheres ones are close). The music feels more like an afterthought than an evolution... either way I hope sales are great and they make another soon.

excuse me tencaarara

There's no way you're not going to be using the roll jump frequently if you're going for 100%. Many of the puzzle pieces require the technique, it's unavoidable. It just sucks when you are near the end of a difficult stage (knowing it takes a few minutes to get there from the last checkpoint) trying to get the last piece and your roll jump doesn't register despite giving it a good enough shake.

I stand by what I said. You can beat this game without using a single roll jump, and there really aren't many secrets that need it. Think back to Twilight princess where every sword strike requires the same waggle, or SMG and NSMBWii where every spin jump needs the same waggle motion. You do those actions in those games way more than you need to roll in DKCR.

Is it annoying? Yes, especially in time trials. Would a classic controller option with buttons for roll and pound be one of my suggestions for improving the game? Absolutely. But raising a ruckus about it when waggle is a much smaller part of the game than it is in Zelda:TP, SMG, NSMBWii, etc is making a mountain out of a molehill.

I was playing it yesterday on a friend's system and we quickly got sick of the 'shake the baby' motion and mapped it to the B button.

It fixed EVERYTHING.

Oh wow I shouldn't have loled as hard as I did reading that. :lmassoff:

Wished the recorder on that video could done better than using the guerrilla-style recording there.

Details? I want to know how to do this.

As it is, you need to have your Wii modded in order to do it, and it only works via a usbloader program AND you have an ISO of it. It *could* potentially work via something like say Neogamma and launching it via the disc, but I wouldn't know how to do that.

In other words, its not legal by any stretch, and thus I should probably not talk any further about this.

I've noticed that too and I greatly dislike it, the mechanics of the game kill any sense of speed and fluidity, can't roll quickly, you lose momentum on landing etc. but the controls are still somewhat unresponsive too. also annoying is that it seems to respond to certain types of movement more than others like holding the wii remote straight up and lashing it forward works well but holding it in a more relaxed position and swinging it up doesn't work as much, the game encourages/forces you to hold the controller in a different position than you may want to

So it seems like any future iterations (DKCR2?) would be infinitely better if they stick to the basic design established in this one, add classic controller support and properly map the roll to a button, and add Diddy as a playable character in single player mode.

Hmmm... so why not just download DKC on the Virtual Console and play that instead?