OCR01234 - EarthBound "Dreaming on Distant Shores"

djpretzel

I really like this piece, and I'm not really sure why. It just kind of stuck to me when I listened to it even though I don't remember the EB song being remixed here. The only bad thing I can say about this is that I wished it kept the level of energy it picked up about 1/3 of the way into the song.

i like the way this one starts... while it gets into yer fun, somewhat bouncy beat later, the beginning is very good at capturing that mysterious, even eerie quality that some parts in EB have. This would make a fine ending credit song or something some day, if not an already astounding standing song. It recreates the feeling the game gives of returning home from a distant, terrible adventure, or even how close it came to not happening. Rellik creates a sound that is both reflective, relieved and yet aprehensive in some ways.

" Is Giygas truly gone? Are the Starmen lost without their leader?

... and what of Pokey?"

There apparently isn't a track in Earthbound called A Flash of Memory. However, it is in Mother 2. If you go to SNESMusic, you can get the tracks. So... The mystery is solved!

No. EarthBound = Mother 2. Anyway, like he said, the soundtrack is available at SNESmusic: http://www.alpha-ii.com/snesmusic/spcsets/mo2.rsn

Good calls by Winter_Stardust on the how some of the areas of the mix sounded like other EB tracks. I could understand the stylistic connections there. The source tune "A Flash of Memory" is very short, but Rellik did a good job taking the one phrase of that theme and rearranging it, making sure to use his rearrangement of that brief material throughout most of the mix. The connection's gonna be tenuous with such a minimal source tune being used and overhauled, so I can see where people are saying "Earfbound??? Where be da Earfbound at?", but I'll vouch for it. Interesting interpretation and a very engaging track. Nice work, Rellik!

It is truly Earthboundesque as it follows the strangely intriguing randomnes and bizzare effects that are prominent throught the whole game. I wish they'd make another game of it... And when the rhythm kicks in its a whole new adventure that awakes within. The high "wave" notes with the lower techno notes give the song a sense of "angelic chaos"...or mabye it makes it sound like Mr.Saturn... hmmm.. N E Wahay it tis GOOD Mon!

I don't know why you people disbelieve in this being from Earthbound. I believe it's either the part where Buzz Buzz dies or Ness sees a part of his past when he gets to a Sanctuary.

I really like this mix. It really makes you think of someone drifting off to sleep and dreaming of home. Makes me think of Winters a bit.

I almost want to play Earthbound again. If only my gamepad would work for my emulator.

The opening sounds like Tessie's theme, and the middle of the mix sounds kinda like the Sea of Eden track.

I just checked on this, and this is indeed from the Sea of Eden ["Magicant2" on the .RSN]. Rellik did a VERY good job of remixing it - I don't think even die-hard EarthBound fans will be recognize this on the first listening.

I think this mix has a very great overall depth. It's definately not "cliche" because it really captures that original Earthbound-y euphoric trippy feel that those who have played the game enjoyed so much. It's also well produced and has an all-around great arrangement. Kudos

And yet, I have to agree with Squid somewhat...I can barely place the songs where this arrangement come from...And believe me, I know Earthbound in and out. As a fan, I do wish it was a tad more recognizable, but anyway...You got the feel down, you got the soul. That's what counts.

Heh. I just picked a random song today and downloaded it to test my cable internet. This was the one I chose. I ended up listening to it into the background while playing online multiplayer games; works especially well with starship games, like Subspace Continuum (http://subspace.legendzones.com). It's very chill and lowkey, and flows pretty good as background music. :)

Also being a huge fan of EarthBound (Starmen.net, or actually before the conspiracy revolving Tomato and Buzz Buzz on that site, EarthBound.net, being the first video game site I had ever really gone to), I could only place maybe half of the original music in this song - but I love it!

It's techno-ey, it's mellow, and it's just incredible to listen to. I recently put this on a CD to listen to while studying and constantly finding myself bouncing the highlighter to the beat of the music.

Very enjoyable, very good composition, and overall just a great piece.

I especially like the drum-like beat around 2:40 that seems to be coming off of the battle music..

Keep up the good work!

The opening sounds like Tessie's theme, and the middle of the mix sounds kinda like the Sea of Eden track.

I just checked on this, and this is indeed from the Sea of Eden ["Magicant2" on the .RSN]. Rellik did a VERY good job of remixing it - I don't think even die-hard EarthBound fans will be recognize this on the first listening.

Totally cool, someone quoted what I said. Thanks DJ Josef Stalin. That (in a odd way) made my day! :D

First time I heard this, I thought I was standing before the gates of heaven.

This is a beautifully done song. I don't know if I have ever heard a song and fell in love with it as fast as I have with this one.

...never played the game.

EDIT: 1.5 years later, after having listened to ALL of the remixes, this is still my all-time favorte!

EDIT: 3 years later, and after having listened to all of the remixes, still my favorite.

• 2 weeks later...

Whatever theme this is remixing from Earthbound it certainly captures the feeling of the game. Like many game sountracks the Earthbound tune in here has many similiar variants on the sountrack. My favorite part of the remix is definitely the softer ending part with the guitar strings.

• 1 month later...

This is such an underrated remix. I burned it onto a CD before I even listened to it, and when I finally did listen to it, I was in an absolute daze. I was in a introspective mood and when this came on, my face became an absolute blank stare, watching the rain fall outside my window. Highly recommended, remixes like these don't come around often.

At first I just thought this was another trance song but turns out it's actually really mellow and calm. It's very good, I've had the tune stuck in my head the whole day.

I love the Cello! Or whatever strings those are.

I think I'ld like the song more if it was a bit lighter, like if the rest of the song was bit similar to the beginning, although the drums around 3:23 are cool!

Then there's that calmer part at 4:33 with the soothing cello, I LOVE IT!

Bring me more!

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

This is THE best remix on the site, in my opinion. At least out of the couple hundred that I have heard.

THIS is how it's supposed to be done. Many remixers on this site like to destroy songs by covering them in a style that's the polar opposite of the mood the game was trying to set when this song was being played. It always irritates me when someone on this site does a soft jazz remix of a battle theme or decides to cover a moderately fast theme on a piano, played at less than half the speed. It happens to even the best of them; even Nobuo Uematsu and the Black Mages managed to ruin Otherworld when they covered it. But this remix really sounds like it belongs in EarthBound. EarthBound was a light-hearted game with emotionally serious undertones, especially towards the end, and you really get that same feeling when listening to Dreaming On Distant Shores.

• 4 weeks later...

I can't really think of a good way to describe how this song made me feel when I really listened to it.

Every time this song plays I am filled with a strange mix of happiness and depression. The easiest way I can describe this song is that it showed me the meaning of life. That said, this song is excellent and I hope Rellik continues submitting more remixes like this.

10/10

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR01234 - EarthBound "Dreaming on Distant Shores"