Final Fantasy VI - Wandering on the Moon

dfalkmusic

UPDATED!

stats.png

I started working on this arrangement of the 'Terra's Theme' from Final Fantasy VI maybe a week ago, and it has eventually turned into what it is now. It's name is 'Wandering on the Moon' for now because of the pads and synths that I used. Please give me any kind of criticism you can. Thanks:)

Sorry, listened to this a while ago and was meant to reply but got side tracked.

Anyway, I really enjoyed it, orchersta sounded real enough for me, that being said i'm no expert on orcherstration and realism so hopefully someone with a better ear for that stuff can give you better feedback on that part.

I really liked the synth sounds, nice and simple, but they fit with the orchestra nicely.

My criticism comes with the arrangement, i like the first section, then the section section with the arpeggiated synth is a nice change, but then the last bit just combines the two sections together and it's a bit predictable. It would be nice to hear something a bit more unexpected.

Anyway, as i said i really enjoyed this, definately one to keep going with

Mmm... I'm liking this. The percussion work is quite excellent (one thing a lot of people have trouble with, tbh), and the sample quality is great (I would like to know which VST you used - I may look into getting it, sometime soon).

The synthwork is pretty simple, though. Combining the wonderfully full sounding orchestra with the popcorn-like synths doesn't do it for me. The synth you use for the theme in the beginning is quite bland, as well. Look for some nice fat synths instead of the synth that blends with the reed instruments (Perhaps it's a trombone + an oboe? If that's the case, they don't sound too hot, I'm afraid).

I'll agree with Anti-Syne and say that the arrangement is a bit predictable and conservative. You need to expand on the theme into something original, or at least arrange the structure in such a way that it doesn't resemble the source so much, if you want to get on OCR.

Even if you don't want to get on OCR, you'll need to vary the textures far more than they are - while the instruments are pretty, they're used for the same purpose far too often. The strings, for example, are used to strike on the anticipation the whole song. It's great to build into the song, but using them throughout like that not only sounds lazy, it numbs the listener to the effect. Vary the use of the strings (even considering cutting them out periodically) and they'll sound fresh and interesting. The synthwork & the woodwinds have similar problems. The percussion is great in this regard, though.

The samples, while great, need some dynamic work in order to sound even more human. You've got a great start with them and they sound close, but they tend to play in the same dynamic range. Vary it to emphasis the music better and you'll get much further with everyone.

Personally, I love the song. It could be much better, though - it has a lot of potential. Keep it up!

Most important thing I have to say. Whatever you do, keep the orchestra/synth combination. While the synths are meh, I believe this could sound much much better with more sophisticated sounding synths.

So far though, both replies before me are right about the arrangement being predictable. I also agree with Gario about the string stabs. Use sparingly and their effect will be that much sweeter.

Overall though, it's very good in my opinion. Just work on some dynamics with the orchestra stuff and make 'em feel a little more "human," and you'll be well on your way to having an awesome remix.

Btw...I've no idea what the source sounds like. xDDD

Ok thanks a million for the comments, i have a lot of work to do but hopefully soon i will have a big update:) i used ni massive for the synth sounds and a combination of edirol orchestral and garritan personal orchestra for the orchestration for all wondering8-)

One of my more favorite tracks from the old school series. If you dont mind I would like to add to the playlist at radio. Not sure if this is part of the collection here yet but it really is good version from some of the others I have.

Keep up the Square love :<

Okay new update once again. Check it out and please tell me what you think xD

stats.png

Right off the bat, the opening shorter string bites need more... "bite." Go with a Spiccato articulation or something that effect.

The synth is harsh and in the same as octave as most of your orchestration which makes it muddy and hard to listen to. All around with the synths actually, I can just never get behind any of them. Also, arrangement-wise, you really haven't done enough variation from the original for this to stand on its own for me, either.

That said! The percussion is pretty good, I especially enjoy the tamb., the crescendos later on are also pretty fantastic. I'd say maybe take out all of your synths altogether and replace their ideas with something orchestral, see if that works because you have a much better sense of how things go together in that setting, and if not then go back and find a synth that sounds better. The point of that exercise is that hopefully you'll have found a more appropriate octave for the line.

Hmm, okay, hope I don't sound too critical, because it's a good start! I do think you'd need a -lot- more deviation for this to pass though. (: