OCR01236 - Space Harrier "I Got the Spacebeam"

djpretzel

The tough homeboy lyrics about an 8-bit game are hilarious in a pathetic, Weird Al sort of way. I appreciate that Star is one of the few out there who is remixing tunes in a style other than techno. However, in my book, rap isn't a style. (DOH!)

I'm not one fer rap myself and I listened ta it once before I didn't think it was my kind of song. But then I gave it another chance and paid close attention, and it's got this mellow groove and amusing lyrics that I just didn't notice before. I likes it.

This is some crazy killer power orchestra rap.. whatever. Just great stuff.

I was at star's house when he made this. We got rather into it. Its easily one of my favorites from him. Creativity is simply spilling off of it. Very well used original source material.

Round 1:30 is when I feel it gets the most powerful. 1:50 always makes me laugh. This is simply a music style you'll never hear anywhere but here.

Sweet.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I don't know how I came back to this mix reviews, but oh well... I'll worry about the health consequences a bit later. ^_^

I remember everytime I came across a mix where the review mentions it had lyrics, I always got this bad feeling because I don't enjoy lyrics in most songs- mostly due to that it's hard to enjoy the -music- and any lyrics at the same time (if they are even audible).

I think this mix if fairly clear, flows well, and has humorous lyrics, which labels it a keep for me.

• 6 months later...
  • 5 months later...
This is some crazy killer power orchestra rap.. whatever. Just great stuff.

I was at star's house when he made this. We got rather into it. Its easily one of my favorites from him. Creativity is simply spilling off of it. Very well used original source material.

Round 1:30 is when I feel it gets the most powerful. 1:50 always makes me laugh. This is simply a music style you'll never hear anywhere but here.

Sweet.

Agreed 100%

The middle section is so good. Complete juxtaposition that works. I'm glad I don't hate rap because it's one of the best things ever, and I used to hate it til I stopped being gay.

• 3 years later...

I actually listened to this and froze for a split second when I heard the lyrics, thinking that someone had turned on the radio when I wasn't looking or something. GAH I'M HEARING THINGS

Nah, it was a good surprise. The lyrics made me laugh, made me think of trudging through a good(?) kind of sludge through space. o.o Good job.

• 2 months later...

WHY YOU DISTRACTIN' ME?

I SAID DON'T EVER BUG ME

WHILST I'M BEIN' A KILLA

i think that's all that needs to be said, but since I'm feeling verbose, I'll say a bit more. I like the original theme a lot, but i'm not really hearing much of it throughout, and the lyrics aren't great, though the flow and delivery is good enough. I think speeding up the track a bit mroe overall would be good, more of a club/party track.

• 7 months later...

Inspired delivery, I'm liking this. Never heard the original, though.

This is a puzzlingly unique and amusing mix, to be honest I can't even point the reason I like it - I just know I do. It feels way shorter than it actually is, then again it's probably better that way.

A+++, would (and will) hear again.

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR01236 - Space Harrier "I Got the Spacebeam"
  • 3 years later...

After going through 1400 OCRs so far to find favorites, I feel like this one speaks to me the most... from the point of view of FEELING GOOD, genuinely, or, as if it is speaking to me on another plane or realm than the usual, "Wow, this is a great track." It's the central pillar. But I keep abstaining from going back, waiting until the time is upon me, after finishing my OCR journey, to experience sweet bliss from a deliberately dopey guy's fitting voice singing about something on the Sega Master System, which I never owned yet have nostalgia for because of getting to play some of its games later.