Xerol Plays ROMs - Mondays & Tuesdays @ 10pm

Xerol Oplan

roms.png

UStream Channel | Facebook Page

So Monday and Tuesday nights don't have a lot going on these days, especially in the summer, so I'm spicing things up a bit with some old-school emulator action for an hour each of those nights. I've got a short list of games I'd like to get through, and then I'll be taking votes/requests.

Weeks 1-2: Godzilla (NES) (UStream Week 1 - Week 2)

godzilla.png

Even though I'll be playing on an emulator, I won't be using savestates except for at the end of the show (so I can pick up where I left off next show), which won't matter much with this game (I've been playing it at least once a year since 1998, plus the majority of the last 24 hours in test videos) but should lead to some hilarity and/or frustration with some other games.

Weeks 3-4: Air Fortress (NES) (UStream Week 3 Week 4) (YouTube Highlights:

)

airfortress.png

I'll be providing live video and audio commentary alongside the game footage as well, using my amazing new vibration-proof mic rig:

nz.png

The gameplay starts at 8:30pm Eastern every Tuesday unless otherwise announced. I'll try to announce any cancellations at least a week in advance and make up for it with an extended show or extra show as soon as I can.

FAQ

Why am I doing this?

I'm not doing much else on Monday and Tuesday nights and have a lot of old console games to catch up on.

Why should you watch?

What else are you doing? Plus you might catch a tune that you might want to remix.

You should play ______.

That wasn't a question.

Can you play ______?

Better. Post your request here and I'll put it in a bin for consideration. Basically I'm looking for games that can be completed within 2 hours (maybe 4 at the most), can actually be completed (exception for sports games here), and are less commonly known or popular. Once I get through my personal queue I'll put up some requests for a vote. For now, let's keep it to NES, SNES, and Genesis games, at least until I can get a beefier computer that can run ePSXe and video capture at the same time.

Why did you play ______ like ______?

This probably only applies to the games I've chosen but basically if there's glitches or game-breaking exploits to be done that I can pull off live I'll be showing off whatever I can.

Can I be on the show?

A co-host can be a good way to liven up the broadcast so if you have a UStream account and want to co-host let me know.

It's difficult to hear your voice, so captions would help. This could be very funny and entertaining, but practicing beforehand is going to waste a lot of anger off camera.

Don't prep for this one. Just do it. Set a time limit or have a point when you're so damn pissed off you just have to stop. Trust me. That's the only way this game will end...

c4hz.jpg

And is the green beer Rolling Rock? Very reminiscent of the

Yeah I need a much better mic. I might be able to borrow one for tomorrow.

The beer is yuengling. I don't know if I'll have beer tomorrow, depends on whether or not my paycheck has cleared the bank yet, or if a co-host can bring some.

Thunderstorms were rolling through my area tonight and there's a forecast for more tomorrow. If there's basically any rain going on within 40 miles of where I am my internet connection becomes completely useless. I may have to postpone or record/upload the show tomorrow.

I didn't really spend that much time pre-playing the game, only about 15 minutes on the first couple of levels to get an idea for the controls and gameplay. It's a little bit of preparation that lets me get more game-time in the show's slot rather than spending 15 minutes figuring out what button does what.

Also I found the MAGICAL HOLY DVD OF ALL ROMS that had been missing before and therefore limiting me to the US-released NES games I had on my hard drive.

After Air Fortress, I'm going to do a run through of Toy Story for Genesis. It's not a particularly obscure or rare game, but something I haven't played since I was playing games on cartridges and a bit of nostalgia I want to go back to.

Tomorrow's show is at 8:30pm EDT. I think people are turning off at break because it's usually after 10pm by then and people have work/etc. the next day, so hopefully I can play an hour, take 5 minutes off, and come back with people still watching.

Can a mod please edit the title to say "Tuesdays @ 8:30pm"? Thanks