Civilization V

Arcana

There's a pretty fun Civilization trailer online now advertising the upcoming Civilization V game as well as the Facebook game.

http://www.4players.de/4players.php/tvplayer/4PlayersTV/Alle/21378/56573/Civilization_V/Civanon_Trailer.html

Civ V: http://www.civilization5.com/

Civ Network: http://www.facebook.com/civnetwork

I just started playing some Civilization IV, so seeing a new, updated version is pretty exciting. I really enjoyed some of the aspects of Civilization: Revolutions, so to see them incorporate some of the eye candy and streamlined play of that game with the depth and complexity of the PC version is quite exciting.

I'm hoping that I'll be able to buy this on Steam, and then play it on the PC for a while, then download the Mac version for free when it arrives on Mac through Steam.

I'm pretty sure you can already pre-order it on Steam, but whether it gets full on Mac support, hard to say. If it did, I'm sure it would be a buy once, play on both platforms kinda of deal though like TF2 and the small group of games that fit into "Steamplay" category now.

I actually don't play Civ but my brother has always loved it, and I'm sure 5 will be the next level of awesomeness for anyone into the series.

Really looking forward to this... I'm not sure about the changes to resources/unit restrictions, though. It's really gonna restrict strategy if you can no longer command large armies and have to rely on getting really lucky with 4-5 units in your entire invading "army".

Regardless, I'll have to take like a week off of work when this gets released. KF

Really looking forward to this... I'm not sure about the changes to resources/unit restrictions, though. It's really gonna restrict strategy if you can no longer command large armies and have to rely on getting really lucky with 4-5 units in your entire invading "army".

Regardless, I'll have to take like a week off of work when this gets released. KF

The "Stack of Doom" was one of the biggest complaints about earlier CIV titles. In Civ 4 they helped counter it with the way collateral damage works and all that, but I guess they decided to do something completely different. They're also planning on limiting special resources, so a tile of horses will only let you have up to a certain number of mounted units at once. You'll certainly have to make more difficult choices on building your army and moving it around, but like Sid himself is often quoted as saying, games are "a series of interesting choices".

I know for a fact I'm going to be buying this one. Normally I like to wait for Steam sales, but in this case I'm willing to make an exception...

The "Stack of Doom" was one of the biggest complaints about earlier CIV titles.

I definitely see where the complaint is coming from. My problem is that, on the other end, having really severe restrictions on the number of units you can field in the first place makes it such that an entire war can be won or lost depending on how lucky an individual unit or two are, whereas allowing for a lot of flexibility makes overall strategy a lot more vital than the outcome of any one given battle. (And then, on the flip side, this makes control of resources a much more vital factor in winning wars than it was under Civ4.)

It's a tradeoff. I'm not sure how it'll work out yet, so I'm not entirely against it, I'm just not sure if I'll like it until I actually get my hands on the game and can see how it plays out for myself.

'Course if I don't like it, I can always go back to Civ2 and zerg rush opponents with human waves of fanatics. There was a broken system {^^}. KF

I definitely see where the complaint is coming from. My problem is that, on the other end, having really severe restrictions on the number of units you can field in the first place makes it such that an entire war can be won or lost depending on how lucky an individual unit or two are, whereas allowing for a lot of flexibility makes overall strategy a lot more vital than the outcome of any one given battle. (And then, on the flip side, this makes control of resources a much more vital factor in winning wars than it was under Civ4.)

Well, conceptually, a unit in Civilization is like, a whole army of ten-thousand or something like that. In most wars, you're not able to move 200 000 troops outside of a city without some severe logistics issues (food, water, etc).

So presumably, the whole tide of a war can turn on a poorly-planned battle.

• 2 months later...

So there are no more massive armies?

The only way I play CIV (and the only way i've PLAYED CIV since Civilization II, my first) was to go the ubermensch route and conquer everyone on the planet. Because that way is the most fun.

Now, I am not saying that I won't get this (I probably will during a holiday sale Xmas time), but if it's way harder to do that, I'd be a sad panda...

Being a total political douche is one of the most fun parts of Civ.

Even more so that after conquering and wiping out so many people, you could win diplomatically. Good times.

So there are no more massive armies?

The only way I play CIV (and the only way i've PLAYED CIV since Civilization II, my first) was to go the ubermensch route and conquer everyone on the planet. Because that way is the most fun.

Now, I am not saying that I won't get this (I probably will during a holiday sale Xmas time), but if it's way harder to do that, I'd be a sad panda...

Being a total political douche is one of the most fun parts of Civ.

Even more so that after conquering and wiping out so many people, you could win diplomatically. Good times.

there's just no more stacking. i plan on having many, many, many VERY large armies in the VERY near future

(long pre-ordered and waiting in throbbing anticipation)

I can't wait for this game, already have it preloaded on Steam!

let's play :)

Edited by zykO

I watched some of that live stream of the developers playing it.

Definitely loving all the subtle, and not so subtle, changes to gameplay. City states seem like they'll mix things up alot.

I personally hated unit stacks and the fact that the losing unit in a fight would always die. Prefer the new system a lot more.

I watched some of that live stream of the developers playing it.

Definitely loving all the subtle, and not so subtle, changes to gameplay. City states seem like they'll mix things up alot.

I personally hated unit stacks and the fact that the losing unit in a fight would always die. Prefer the new system a lot more.

agreed, i was not a fan of stacks... i've always visualized it as more indicative of a board game than actual war. i am really looking forward to a more strategic military aspect to the game.

Recently got Civ IV with its expansions, and been playing it with my brother. Probably gonna wait a while before getting V. Besides, until there's Mac support, there's no point in me getting it. Saw it on Escapist the other day, looks interesting. Cool with the hexagon tiles, gonna be interesting to see what else is different... some day.

I'm in too, though it'll have to be next week or later; I have a major gig this weekend and just got the setlist today, so I'll be glued to my keyboard arranging the songs we're doing until Sunday.

Sometime a few weeks later maybe?

I was planning to take some time off for this, but unfortunately we're nearing the end of the fiscal year and some stuff just really needs to get done. So, I'll have to delay my Civ5-based holiday for a little while. KF

Damn, I've been playing this off and on today and its really good. Some thoughts:

- Everything is made to be way more streamlined and accessible. I wasn't initially a big fan of how these things are laid out but a lot of the game still seems to be in tact.

- I've been loosely playing Civ games since #2 and this one is probably the biggest change for the series. Its almost as if they've re-approached the concept of the Civilization games (building an empire) and saw if they could make it better.

- City-States are by-and-large the biggest change. Early on in my game I found two city states, one to the south and one to the west, and before long the one to the west wanted me to eliminate the one to the south, which I did to the ire of England who ever since has been hostile towards me. I have no idea as to how they'll effect multiplayer games but in single-player games they are the great instigators.

- Epic games are so fucking long now, at least it has been so far. I think I've been playing for around 3 hours today and I just now got to 0AD

- Barbarians still exist and quite frankly aren't nearly as annoying now. All of your troops have a +50% bonus against Barbarians so it makes it fun to go and wipe out their villages.

Anyway, totally worth the purchase so far, anyone else played it yet?

I've never played the Civilization series, but Civilization V looks really nice. How is V supposed to be for computers specs? It doesn't look like it's too graphic intensive.

Here's the GameTrailers video review for it.

SD version: http://www.gametrailers.com/video/review-civilization-v/704828

HD version: http://www.gametrailers.com/video/review-civilization-v/704829

Not out until Friday in Europe. I'm all for some multiplayer after that. Though I haven't touched a Civ game since 2.

Yeah that sucks. I'm downloading the demo right now atleast. Can't wait to try it. I hate how they chose to release just when people are goin back to college/universtity though.