Civilization V

Arcana

Go to C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam, right click on steam.exe, go to properties, goto compatability, click on change settings for all users. Unselect "run this program in compatability mode"

It was not set for compatibility mode :cry:

Seems like the problem is Steam Cloud. If I click load game, crash. If I hit save game and then click Steam cloud, crash.

That shop. Is amazing.

I am surprised about Gandhi's bloodlust though. I've read that the various leaders do have some degree of "personality" programmed into them. And Gandhi was about peace and ... stuff. Unless certain difficulties throw that out the window like "@#$% it, everyone wants you dead."

Now I want to start a new game on the hardest difficulty just to see what happens...

I am surprised about Gandhi's bloodlust though. I've read that the various leaders do have some degree of "personality" programmed into them. And Gandhi was about peace and ... stuff. Unless certain difficulties throw that out the window like "@#$% it, everyone wants you dead."

It's an old Civ joke. tvtropes.org:

All AIs had values for aggressiveness, likelihood of building nukes, and such. Most had values somewhere in the middle between 1-10, but Gandhi had his set to 1. However, countries with a "peaceful" form of government also got a -1 or -2 to these values — and 1 - 2 = 255 for the math used in that place in the game. So, Gandhi was perfectly peaceful until he discovered Democracy, which is when he instantly turns into a bloodthirsty maniac who always wants to build and use nukes.

Subsequent Civs had referenced this as an in-joke.

If it's still the first turn, you should be able to basically reroll starting positions. I forget how to do it, but I know you can

You just go to the menu and hit restart before you found a city or before your first turn it over. But turn down voice FX first, because god I am SUPER SICK of hearing the VO go "OH LORD RAMESES" over and over.

I'm kind of stuck here. I came around and really do like Civ 5 (though I still think Civ 4 and Civ 4:BTS are better). And I really want to get both Brave New World & Gods and Kings.

Unfortunately, it makes my current computer really hot. By the time I'm in the Industrial Era, it shuts down from overheating and I can't play anymore (eh, unless I really want to risk wrecking my machine). It didn't always do this, no other programs present the same problem, and I can't figure out why the hell it's running so hot (software, not hardware, is more my forte, so I'm lost).

Not willing to get a new computer just to play BNW and G&K (or Civ5 in the first place)... so I suppose I'm stuck until this machine just craps out altogether. KF

Kiz, if your machine is overheating to the point of automatic shutdown, it's on its way out anyway. That shouldn't happen; instead, the computer should be processing as fast as it can safely handle, and if that's not fast enough for the game, then the game lags. If you're hitting auto-shutdown, then it's because there's a disconnect between what the computer thinks it can handle and what it can actually handle -- which usually means degrading hardware, and is a sign that your computer is about to crap out entirely.