Super Smash Bros. Brawl Hacking - Custom OC ReMix music!

Murmeli Walan

In the last few months, I've been following the explosion of creativity and progress that's been going on in the world of hacking Super Smash Bros. Brawl. Character hacks have evolved from just changing color palettes to editing polygons and creating whole new characters, new stages, new movesets, and tons more. After spending half a day or so and reading some tutorials on Smashboards, I can now make custom music to replace the tracks in the game. I've got two tracks completed to start, and I'll be posting more here for the community.

Brawl Vault Profile

Seventh Epic - Pipes

goat - Purple Heart

Fishy, Sixto Sounds, Steffan Andrews, Suzumebachi, bLiNd, pixietricks, tefnek - Black Wing Metamorphosis

Sixto Sounds - Twin Blood

Rayza - Green Hill Zone (Euroclub '95 Mix)

JigginJonT, Mustin, Nate Cloud, po!, zyko - Murder Your Friends Boogie

Mega Ran & K-Murdock - Epoch

Entertainment System - Giygas

To add the bstrm files in Brawl...search for a guide on YouTube. It is a bit complicated to explain, but with enough work, even a schmuck like me can do it. You don't even necessarily have to use any kind of homebrew to get this stuff up and running.

Anyone else on OCR interested in Brawl hacking? Are there any requests for me to turn more OCReMixes into Brawl tracks?

Yeah, the community has exploded in recent months when the community figured out vertex hacking. Just take a look at the intro to this recent hacking showcase video:

If you're looking to get further into Brawl hacking, the best place to go is Kitty Corp: Meow Mix. Weird as hell name, but KC-MM is the most professional group of Smash hackers out there.

Yeah, I've been into this stuff for a while now and even attempted turning Peach into Daisy, though I ran into an unexpected problem (I will figure it out eventually). KC-MM is pretty much the place to go to get what you want. The Brawl Vault in particular is very handy for finding resources and tools.

I've really wanted to get into hacking Brawl, so I can get into Brawl+, but I heard there's some repercussions into getting the Homebrew channel and all that, besides legal issues.

Something about losing the ability to use the Wii Shop channel? There's some good Wiiware in there and I wanna support those indie developers.

Actually, thanks to an exploit IN BRAWL, you don't need the HBC installed to run custom files in Brawl.

Also, I made a thread about this when BRSTM hacking was first started in Brawl, and it was totally ignored; if this thread picks up, I'll be a sad panda. Happy for an influx of hackers, but still a sad panda. T_T

I've really wanted to get into hacking Brawl, so I can get into Brawl+, but I heard there's some repercussions into getting the Homebrew channel and all that, besides legal issues.

Something about losing the ability to use the Wii Shop channel? There's some good Wiiware in there and I wanna support those indie developers.

there's actually no legal issue as of now, nintendo lost a court case over this. however, if you do the nintendo system updates, they will remove the homebrew channel and potentially brick your wii in the process...actually on rare occasion the nintendo wii updates have been known to brick peoples wii's even if they don't have HBC, it's unwise to do them period. but you are correct that the wii shop channel won't work if you don't have the lastest update

I think there's a hacked version of shop channel that works but idk, cave story is the only game on wii shop I'm interested in as I don't feel like paying for games that I already own, would like to throw pixel a few dollars for one of the most brilliant games I've ever played though

anyway, good thread, I use music/texture hacks at all times myself, makes the game so much better. no requests but please post these to the music hub!

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=245410

Actually, you can go in and install the Wii Shop Channel's updated files with a program called Wad Manager and it's like updating the shop channel without updating your entire wii. So there's no reason to think that HBC will deny you access to anything Nintendo has to offer - it actually just opens up tons more options.

Oh my goodness, so many things in this thread...

First of all, if you need instructions on how to boot up Brawl hacks without using HBC, check out the Brawl Workshop on Smashboards; they can explain it better than I can.

Secondly, the Nintendo v. Galoob case DOES NOT APPLY to Brawl hacking. Brawl hacking (and homebrew in general) is VERY, VERY ILLEGAL. The reason the Galoob case doesn't apply is because you agreed to a End User License Agreement (EULA) when you booted your Wii (and implicitly agreed when you booted your Brawl disc) that states that you RESCIND the ability to run "unauthorized code" on your system. Any, and I mean ANY, unauthorized code results in breaking of your EULA, which automatically voids your warranty... but more importantly, circumventing copy protection (which must be done to run homebrew) is in violation of the Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA), which makes you a federal criminal and a pirate.

So... just letting you know. Read up on your copyright law. You don't actually "own" your Wii or your Brawl disc; you just "license" the data on them from Nintendo for temporary use that can be taken away from you at any time if Nintendo sees fit.

Finally... Lee Martin got 4th at MLG Columbus with a Lucario. That's all I'm going to say about Lucario.

You're right, Jack. Nintendo learned how to cover their asses after the Galoob lawsuit, and just like any kind of hacking on any modern console, it's very illegal. I don't really wanna go on about corporate rights or legal and moral implications of hacking here, but that discussion is always open.

Finally... Lee Martin got 4th at MLG Columbus with a Lucario. That's all I'm going to say about Lucario.

I stand corrected. I don't really follow the competitive scene, though. I'm not too sure about Brawl's "tier lists" or any of that, although I do use one of the four major "balancing" patches in my game (Balanced Brawl, fyi). It's turning me on to some other characters I never used much like Dedede and Lucas. Plus, NO MORE RANDOM TRIPPING OUT OF A DASH OMGWTFBBQ!

And I'm sorry that you made this thread before and it got ignored. I know I've made my fair share of threads/posts that got buried, too. Ah, well.

YES, Balanced Brawl FTW! That's what I use, too. I haven't played vanilla Brawl in ages. I played at the Anime Matsuri 2010 tournament, but it wasn't any fun. Too much MK. Lucario is actually my BBrawl main, though I also play lots of BBrawl Pkmn Trainer, Marth, lolimar, and Ganon (lol).

Also, I'd rather have this thread do well than NEITHER thread do well. :P My other thread was more of a total conversion OST replacement than just a general hacking thread. Still, though, for every person that replaces Pirate Ship's music with "I'm on a Boat", I get happier.

(Balanced Brawl, fyi). It's turning me on to some other characters I never used much like Dedede and Lucas. Plus, NO MORE RANDOM TRIPPING OUT OF A DASH OMGWTFBBQ!

This right here sounds like exactly what I wanted all along. I don't tend to do hacks on my systems, but this one is sorely tempting just because I'd love to see Fox and Link actually play like reasonable characters instead of the nerfed shadows they are in Brawl.

I've been playing Brawl+ for forever and would definitely recommend it to anyone who is disappointed with the lack of combos and generally slower and defensively-oriented style of Brawl, not to mention its terrible balance and stupid shit like tripping.

I'll also say that it is absolutely ridiculous that hacking is illegal. If I pony up the money for a Wii and Brawl, it should be well within my rights to do whatever the hell I want with it.

Brawl+, MORE LIKE LOL+, amirite? ^_-

If you like B+, you probably already have a SWF account. Go read up on AltF4's Intellectual Property Law thread in the Debate Hall (it's two sections underneath Melee Discussion). It will not only educate you, but also PISS YOU OFF.

The lack of love for Brawl Minus in this thread disturbs me.

Anyway, I've made my own BRSTMs, including a few of VG mixes (Electric Clouds, Urban Uppercut and Zealous Entropy, plus one or two more). If you want them, let me know.

I haven't played Brawl Minus, but I understand that it balances the game by making every character overpowered and broken. That sounds like fun.

But yeah, post that stuff in here!

I tried my hand at making some BRSTMs a couple of days ago... they were more or less a perfect success, but there was only one problem.

Volume leveling. My ears almost died.

Is there a way to level out the volume on the BRSTMs directly or do I have to remake it?