Hedgehog Hysteria - a Sonic the Hedgehog remix album

JH Sounds

Happy 20th anniversary, Sonic!

coverbu.png

Get the album here!

UPDATE FOR 2011: The album now includes "Kevin Eggerman Rework" bonus track featuring previously unreleased verse by elsalluz.

This album features arrangements of the Sonic the Hedgehog (Mega Drive/Genesis) soundtrack. It is a solo album project by me (JH Sounds), but features guest appearances by swordofdestiny, OCRE, B-Type, Draconiator, elsalluz and OCR's own Cyril the Wolf. Hedgehog Hysteria is a concept album and features characters and themes that carry over from one track to the next. Tracks 1 through 12 consist of the main arc, while tracks 13 and 15 are bonuses. The album download includes a 12-page booklet. Some additional facts: Track 5 is a cover of analoq's "sonik special". Track 9 was made using Nutritious' orchestral template. A radio edit of "Finality" is set to be posted on OverClocked ReMix.

Heh, this is an interesting concept. Some of the songs I felt could have had stronger drums for the style, like Kevin Eggerman, and Complex Labyrinth.

Other than that though, I do enjoy the remixes and the overarching story. Though some may disagree.

Also, ME SINGING! I personally prefer my singing on the acoustic one in retrospect, but please let me know if you disagree!

This is not at all what I was expecting, and that's a very good thing. I'm a HUGE fan of the original Genesis game, and this is a real interesting twist on the soundtrack. I really like the story and the idea of a person using the world of Sonic as an escape.

Also, you cover sonik special, one of my favorite analoq mixes ever. Nice work!

It's really nice to have a remix project album with some thematic consistence, musically.

As for the "concept", I can understand and appreciate the idea you were going for, but I think the execution was really weak, the tracks would be better off without it. Especially Kevin Eggerman -- rap songs like this, where the lyrics are forcibly shoehorned in to aggrandize a story or such are pretty universally weak. See Unknown from M.E., Pumpkin Hill, Don't Copy that Floppy, and

for examples of what I mean.

Actually, Finality is the only track that I'd say wasn't extremely diminished by the words.

And I don't mean to be insulting when I say that. Storytelling is difficult, and not everyone can do it perfectly on the first try. I think your story had a lot of potential, but it could have used a few more drafts before actually putting the final words down.

And the music came out really well. I'd love it if I could download versions of these tracks without the psychiatry talk over them. Especially all three versions of "A Special Case", and obviously excluding Finality and Kevin Eggerman.

I enjoyed a lot about this album. The concept is great. Musically, I liked the jazzy feel of a few tracks (well, more it was the latinesque bass line in A Special Case that I really loved) and the feel of the album as a whole really made me remember watching things along the lines of "A Beautiful Mind". I love dystopian literature so this album was right up my alley. I've been meaning to post this for a while but I got busy with work and whatnot and just now got around to it. I am glad that JH asked me to lend my voice to one of the tracks, I love doing things like that.

Sick concept you had here JH. It was a fun experience to watch (or in this special case, hear) it unfold through the entire album.

Enjoyable to listen to, with some highs and lows, but very interesting nonetheless.

Favorite tracks of mine were the blurry electro-acoustic 'In the Yard' with its strangely interrupted orchestral break, the upbeat and cheerful 'Special Case (analogous version)', which is by far the best definition of 'Sonic meets J64H' you'll ever hear, and finally the very melancholic 'Finality' ft Cyril, which features some of that beautiful and dramatic piano we all know and love.

For anyone familiar with JH's music, Hedgehog Hysteria bears his usual trademark style: balanced yet asymmetrical, both skillfully crafted and voluntarily cheesy at times.

But for once, I appreciated the fact that this album delves deeper into the mind of an artist who definitely has his own unique way to do things.

• 11 months later...

You know, this is probably one of my favorite remix albums. While the spoken word parts are a little cheesy in concept, they're so well written that I barely notice them. On some tracks. I would like to hear the pure instrumentals, but it's not a big deal.

Good stuff. There are a few tracks I'm not particularly fond of but the good ones more than make up for it.

I guess this was meant to be the "Happy Birthday Sonic" thread for all of OCR? (if that's the case - shameless promotion

)

Oh well. So far I'm liking the album. Very smooth and nice background music to have. (whilst drawing Sonic fanart!) I usually don't like lyrics with my music unless they're a parody, but Finality was interesting and nice.

I remember spotting this album when it first came out and... well, I was busy, then it dissapeared from infront of my face, and then I forgot about it...

This time I took the time to listen and i'm glad. Surprised, more than a little, but also very happy. It's a brilliant concept, and whilst its not something anthemic i'm going to stick on again and again, it is certainly a new experience.

• 2 years later...