Ocarina of Time: "The Desi Tree"

caoimhín

After first signing up almost 8 years ago, I present my first WIP:

First Upload: Listen

EDIT

Finished Arrangement: Listen

NOTE: I have taken liberties with the original tunes with regard to their key signature, not to mention actual notes themselves, the Lost Woods theme is a good example of this. I can recall another mix doing this to great effect.

My intention was to make a Bollywood-like song, but as I went forward, all of these OoT tunes seemed to fit.

EDIT

Source Material (Although I think we all know it)

Kokiri Forest: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ahHBtn71EsE

Forest Temple: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8KUXX9T8Cm4

Inside the Deku Tree: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uN-XbdAZMSw

The Lost Woods: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Dt3QWsJ0Bs

Minuet of Forest (all 6 notes of the ocarina song): http://s176.photobucket.com/albums/w177/squirelflight/videos/?action=view&current=.002.flv

Wow, really interesting take on the source! I like the idea here, and you build a nice soundscape with bags of atmosphere. I'd say it lacks a bit of direction - it builds up so well and you think it's going to really kick off with a melody in there, but the Kokiri Forest melody doesn't seem to be enough on its own. Would the Lost Woods theme fit in here somewhere? Might be worth trying to incorporate it somehow. Not sure about the end part - it doesn't really add anything to the rest of the track, so maybe consider cutting it, or taking the synth (sounds very Chemical Brothers - nice) and adding it to the main part of the track.

Other than that, I don't really have any issues with the mixing or mastering (not that I'm an expert), and I really like the subtle panned percussion at the start - sounds exactly like the Forest Temple - is that straight from the game? It segues very well into the Indian style.

Really nice work, definitely try and improve it, would love to hear it finished!

All I can really say is "wow"

maybe have a lil' play with the drums' reveb? and make the bass a bit deeper? Other then that this is fantastic. I'd be dissapointed of this site if this wasnt picked up and noticed by the judges.

Oh! And maybe add some of the "dulcimery" sounding things from the winder waker forest version of the simular song. cant remember what its called. and maybe a few more pipes n such? :)

Thanks for the comments everyone. I've taken some of your advice and combined it with my own feelings and have produced what I feel to be the final arrangement of the track.

I'm hoping the only changes I have to make are mixing/mastering related. :-P

I'm pretty satisfied with this remix, but one thing that sticks out and bugs me, when you do the main part of the Kokiri Forest theme, it's like you're trying to fit too many notes at once for the tempo and pace you're going for (0:57ish for example).

Other then that, I really like how you meshed all the themes together, and I definitely get that 'Bollywood' feel you say you're going for. The transition into the Lost Woods theme was especially cool. Can't help you with mixing stuff though, I'm clueless :v:

Thoroughly awesome. Brilliant changes, and I absolutely love the build from 1:23-1:36. Only thing I'm not entirely sold on is the "Hey" bit from 1:36. I don't mind it later on, but it seemed to stick out from 1:36 onward. Might just be personal taste, but I'd consider lowering the volume or removing every other "Hey" from this section.

Only that minor observation though, everything else is superb! Can you get a mod review?

The eastern sounds for the Forest Temple work so very, very well. The way it blends into the other themes is superb too. I love the fact that like you say, you've taken liberties with key signatures. Gives the different themes a completely new flavour.

Mighty fine remix, son. :<

I'm kinda lost on all the chord and key changes during the kokiri forest and saria's song sections. it just doesn't really work for me.. the melodies seem unnatural and the transitions a bit disjointed. sorry, not sure how else to put that :/

the forest temple sections were cool. production overall was pretty solid as well. i think the bass could have been a little louder, it gets buried at times. the sitar sample works and is mixed fairly well, but it starts to wear on you after a while. try changing up the lead instrument during some of those sections in the middle. flute, string, ocarina.. just some ideas :P

the arrangement is pretty conservative save for the fact that the keys have been altered. not sure how this would fly if it were all in it's native key (might be a little too conservative), but the genre adaptation is intriguing and seems to fit the sources pretty well.

anyway, it's tough, but i wouldn't be able to comfortably pass this if i were a judge. once the kokiri forest theme kicks in it just loses me. again, sorry to be so vague about that, but i'm not so sure how to put it. hope to have been a help, and best of luck with the remix! :)

• 2 weeks later...

At :55 when the Kokori forest starts in I think you need people singing along with it. :) I don't like the chants around 1:36, they sound almost evil while the tune is happy and cheerful. I love this otherwise. Your adaptation of the songs was pretty creative. Somewhere around 2:20 to 3:00 I wish you would have changed up the chords more. I love the sound.

I really enjoyed this mix. I think the sounds/instrumentation used gave it a very unique feel and I really enjoyed the percussion parts. I do feel though that the contrast between the ambiance in the first part of the song and the upbeat, louder sections in the ending are a bit too different for my taste. Maybe a transition using something thats not as... tempo happy?

Anyway, I did very much enjoy the mix and hope to hear more from you soon.

I like the arrangement, but the sound overall sounds too newby. The sitar is probably the worst culprit there, tho the dryness of the other instrumentation might add to it. Unlike halc, I think you need to tweak the sitar to make it less grating and probably replace it with either a different sitar sample or sitarlike synth or another instrument entirely, at least for parts of the mix. The stuff that sounds like flanged, filtered, low sitar stuff in the background might need some further filtering, their highs shine through a little too much, exposing them as samples. Might just be that the whole track and/or some of the instruments need a boost to their mids.

Nice creative arrangement, grating sound. Fix it, this track is too much fun to not be on ocr.

I like to agree and disagree with Rozovian all in one post just to piss him off, because he's so much more eloquent than I am...and nicer, even tho we have the same opinion usually. And for some reason I always find that he's posted within hours of me...

Anyway, i think it's fine the way it is. interpretive, moody, fun. We haven't had a good zelda medley, especially not one that encompasses songs from one area, in a long time. I personally, think the key changes are well executed, the medley is well scripted, and the instruments certainly do the songs justice. I like your creativity and the energy of the mix. The judges get piles of crap, and piles of good smelling, pretty crap everyday. but every now and then (whether they like it or not) they get something thats not crap...and pass or no, this has the distinguished feel of an OC. So i'm glad I got to hear it.

• 1 month later...