EastWest Play issues

DAW: Reaper

Library being used: QLRA

In the project I'm working on (which was playing back perfectly yesterday), my Play instruments have stopped working. They're completely silent.

When I go to adjust the settings and click the "Streaming" tab, there is a red note at the bottom saying "This engine level setting has exceeded your available system resources. Try lowering your engine level or your audio buffer size, or contact tech support."

Even when I set the engine level all the way down, I still have the same issue. I have 3 gigs of RAM, (actually 4 -- but one of the four sticks apparently isn't functioning), and this project does not have a huge number of instruments. Playback was working fine yesterday, so I suspect that isn't the problem.

Any ideas?

In the project I'm working on (which was playing back perfectly yesterday), my Play instruments have stopped working. They're completely silent.

When I go to adjust the settings and click the "Streaming" tab, there is a red note at the bottom saying "This engine level setting has exceeded your available system resources. Try lowering your engine level or your audio buffer size, or contact tech support."

Even when I set the engine level all the way down, I still have the same issue. I have 3 gigs of RAM, (actually 4 -- but one of the four sticks apparently isn't functioning), and this project does not have a huge number of instruments. Playback was working fine yesterday, so I suspect that isn't the problem.

Any ideas?

1) have you updated the play engine to the latest version?

2) check your system resources utilization (task manager): how much ram is free, and what, if any, are other big processes that you can stop?

3) you may need to freeze tracks and painstakingly work them one at at time, freezing and unfreezing, if you're getting the issue. Try freezing all the tracks except for one of the play VST's, and check if it works then.

4) just for good measure, disable any active antivirus scanning and hard drive indexing while doing work on the project.

Also, are all four sticks of ram installed but only three are showing up? You're on Windows 32-bit or 64-bit?

Edit: oh, and before I forget, unless you're using the 64-bit version of Windows, the 64-bit version of Reaper, and the 64-bit version of Play, I believe Reaper and/or Play is limited to 2GB ram usage total.

Any ideas?

Welcome to hell, mate - I started getting this problem a while back in Cakewalk. I have to make sure that Play is the FIRST vst loaded in any project I use (until I upgraded from 2->4gb of ram). I haven't checked since i did that.

I suggest reordering them if you can. Other fixes that I've done just to get a dumb VSTi to work include opening a blank project with just the VSTi I have a problem with, then close it and open my real project. I literally have a folder called bootup that's got NI's Battery, FM8, Massive.... etc. that I open one at a time before opening some of my projects. ;_;

Productivity snatch.