OCR CS:S or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Plant the Bomb

FireSlash

New update today, I'll be applying it shortly:

Counter-Strike: Source:

- Fixed several problems with missing textures in community maps.

- Fixed a crash that could occur when stats get updated.

- Fixed a crash that could occur when displaying the scoreboard.

- Added "cl_show_achievement_popups", a convar that is on by default. Turning it off disables in-game achievement announcements.

- Restricted the range of commands that servers can cause clients to execute when closing the MOTD.

- Server admins will need to change the "cmd" key from a string to one of the following ints:

- 0 for no command

- 1 for joingame

- 2 for changeteam

- 3 for impulse 101

- 4 for mapinfo

- 5 for closed_htmlpage

- 6 for chooseteam

Engine:

- Fixed an exploit that allowed a plug-in to be loaded as a .dll file on the client after being downloaded from the server.

Missed from last update:

- Removed an exploit that allowed players to change their in-game name outside of the Steam Community

Linux Dedicated Server:

- Fixed srcds_run so -autoupdate works properly for Counter-Strike: Source

Oh cool, I will totally play on this server. I never got around to TF2, but I played the hell out of both CS's. Time to go install Windows I guess.

pretty sure you can play it on macs now. That was part of the driving reason behind moving it to the OB engine.

My CS:S clan, MaCK, has been around since 2006. With the new update CS:S just got, our server has been packed every day and night. We don't allow AWPs, flashes, or auto-snipes.

Just make sure to get admin set up, as well as all the latest exploits and hacks patched so you don't get invaded by hackers. Maybe think about banning AWPs because they take very little skill to use. The Schmidt Scout takes a lot more skill than the AWP, and is a lot more fun to use than an AWP.

My CS:S clan, MaCK, has been around since 2006. With the new update CS:S just got, our server has been packed every day and night. We don't allow AWPs, flashes, or auto-snipes.

Just make sure to get admin set up, as well as all the latest exploits and hacks patched so you don't get invaded by hackers. Maybe think about banning AWPs because they take very little skill to use. The Schmidt Scout takes a lot more skill than the AWP, and is a lot more fun to use than an AWP.

I'd have to agree, I was playing on a server, and pretty much everyone was using the AWP. I'd ban it. I don't mind flashes. Not sure why anyone would. They're pretty standard.

The reason that the AWP was never significantly frowned upon is because starting with max money never used to be default until recently. So saving up for one was a risk. But if you start with enough to buy one.... laaame.

Ban either flashes or smokes (or even worse, both) and you'll have a hard time with the AWP.

Frankly, I've taken out enough AWP users with other weapons that I don't mind them. I don't even think it's as hard to deal with as some think it is, but if everyone really wants it banned then so be it. But do not ban any of the grenades. Doing so would be one of the worst ideas I could think of. Yeah, no one likes to get flashed and die because of it, but they're in the game for a reason.

While we're at it, maybe we should talk map list for the server. Part of the reason there's never anyone on could be because it's new, and also because there are some unpopular maps on there. Some that should definitely stay just off the top of my head are Dust, Dust2, and Office. I'll have to go and look at some of the other stock maps to remember which are terrible though it's been so long since I played on them.

While we're at it, maybe we should talk map list for the server. Part of the reason there's never anyone on could be because it's new, and also because there are some unpopular maps on there. Some that should definitely stay just off the top of my head are Dust, Dust2, and Office. I'll have to go and look at some of the other stock maps to remember which are terrible though it's been so long since I played on them.

Drop port, the map is waaay too large. Assault even in Source is still rigged for Terrorists, but if you wanna keep it, be my guest. If you can find a non dusty version of de_westwood, that'd be awesome.

Just make sure to get admin set up, as well as all the latest exploits and hacks patched so you don't get invaded by hackers.

Currently the ocr tf2 admins are also admins on the css server.

As for exploits and such, we're running KAC, so we're fairly safe there. Be aware that KAC bans for LSS. I doubt anyone uses it, but now you know.

hey im totally in on this

when do you people play

Sadly I haven't seen anyone on for the last couple of days. I won't be able to get on tonight I think, but if we could at least get a few people on for a few nights this week we might be able to get a regular player base going. I think it's a little tough to get going on the CS server where there's some overlap with the TF2 servers player base and busy hours. Who wants to go to an empty CS server instead of a busy TF2 server? Especially if you're still new to CS. Not really sure what the best solution is there.

Aztec is worth keeping in the map rotation I think. Inferno feels sort of borderline along with Italy. That museum/castle map (can't remember its name) is definately too big for a smaller playerbase.

I'm not the biggest Aztec fan but it's not terrible so I say leave it on there for now. Haven't checked out Inferno in a while so maybe I will and I'm blanking on Italy right now. I think the castle map you're thinking of might be named cbble as impossible to pronounce as that is. I agree though, it should go. Far too big for my liking and not very much fun.

Aztec is worth keeping in the map rotation I think. Inferno feels sort of borderline along with Italy. That museum/castle map (can't remember its name) is definately too big for a smaller playerbase.

You're thinking of Piranesi. It's a pretty large map and not great for bringing people in. The maps you need to get people in are pretty much Dust2 and Office, as they are the most balanced. Then other staples are Aztec, Dust, Nuke, Cobble, Italy, Inferno, Train - pretty much anything that was in the original rotation.

All the other maps should be taken off rotation to begin with, in order to build popularity. I might jump on later in the week but being in the UK it's a bit hard to get on at the right times. Had a great session the other night though :)

Current mapcycle is

cs_italy
de_dust
de_aztec
de_cbble
cs_office
de_chateau
de_dust2
cs_havana
de_prodigy
cs_compound
de_train
de_tides
de_port
de_inferno
cs_assault
de_nuke
cs_militia

Though you should get to vote on the next map. Unless I cocked up the configs.

Anyway, what do you want added/removed. Need to have at least 10 in rotation.

Anyway, what do you want added/removed. Need to have at least 10 in rotation.

I haven't played on every map on that list but I did check out most of them on my own to refresh my memory. The only ones I outright don't want to see on there are port, nuke and to a lesser extent cbble. The first two are just plain terrible, and I don't like how large and open cbble is for the most part, though if enough people wanted to keep it I wouldn't really complain.

I'm also up in the air on havana. I kind of like the map, and will even admit that the random paths is kind of interesting, but it also bothers me to have a map with a random layout in the rotation, especially since it could just confuse newer players. I know the first time I played it a few days ago it took me a few rounds to realize what was going on. At first I just thought there were two different CT spawns or something.

I've been raging for the last few days because I'll literally unload half a clip into someone's head and they'll kill me in 1 shot with minimal damage to them. I found out it's because the bandwidth is being taken here, causing my latency to lie about being low while I seem to just be standing there like a sitting duck.

Which makes the handful of headshots I pulled off all the more impressive

I've been raging for the last few days because I'll literally unload half a clip into someone's head and they'll kill me in 1 shot with minimal damage to them. I found out it's because the bandwidth is being taken here, causing my latency to lie about being low while I seem to just be standing there like a sitting duck.

Which makes the handful of headshots I pulled off all the more impressive

I thought CS:S uses lag compensation?