OCR CS:S or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Plant the Bomb

FireSlash

I am all for making rounds 3 minutes long. Seen quite a few matches go past 3 minutes long and it makes people wanna quit.

Also, I'm thinking we turn one of the regulars for Source into admin.

I vote me. lawls.

But yeah we should. It would help out a lot.

The server seemed kinda random in regards to registration. Well, from my experience servers shouldn't be that random at least. if you get a chance fireslash check this out http://www.cstrike-planet.com/cfgmaker?cfg=srcds

if you read the bottom, the values for the rates determine the "performance" of the server i guess.

maybe its just hardware, idk.

If that config maker hasn't been updated in the last week, it's out of date.

CS:S uses the OrangeBox engine now.

I suddenly realized that I actually DO NOT own a copy of CS:Source. How the hell did that happen? I could have sworn I bought that (and Day of Defeat Source) many many many years ago, but they aren't on my STEAM account.

Maybe if I get lucky, STEAM will have it on sale again on the last day of their sale.

Oh right, I forgot to mention that I restarted the server earlier today due to yesterday's TF2 update that included the following engine fixes (which affect CS:S):

* Fixed some graphical issues when alt-tabbing during a game.

* Fixed bullet penetration problems with Linux dedicated server.

* Removed an exploit that allowed people to change their names to something other than their Steam profile name

An optional update for Counter-Strike: Source is now available. Please run hldsupdatetool to receive the update. The specific changes include:

Counter-Strike: Source:

- Fixed a crash that could occur after the bomb exploded.

- Fixed a crash that could occur when attempting to exit the game.

- Changed default values of the following server variables to reflect the increase of the default tick rate from 33 to 66:

- sv_mincmdrate - 10

- sv_maxcmdrate - 66

- sv_maxupdaterate - 66

- Marked 'developer' cvar as cheat.

- Corrected kill/death reporting in gun games. Deaths were not being properly counted in games using instant respawn.

- Marked test_round_winpanel, test_match_winpanel, test_freezepanel commands as cheats.

- Added sv_nowinpanel and cl_nowinpanel options that can be used to disable the win panel that displays the team winner, MVP, and fun fact at the end of a round.

- Clamped ladder dampen values.

- Fixed jointeam cvar so giving it invalid values no longer spams the server console.

- Removed functionality of cl_minmodels.

- Fixed voice indicators to display at all times rather than just after their respective players have come into contact when -alltalk is on.

- Fixed scoreboard to display correct number of SourceTV viewers.

- Adjusted death notices to display under scoreboard.

- Defaulted 'Simplified list' to OFF and made the setting persistent.

- Fixed an issue that could make it appear as if a player already had one or more MVP stars upon joining a server.

- Made text on loading bar more legible.

- Added more materials that were missing for community maps.

Engine:

- Fixed disconnect exploit causing players to be forced off of a server due to an overflowed packet.

- Fixed players being able to start the game using a DirectX level less than DirectX8.

Windows Dedicated Server:

- Added Counter-Strike: Source to the list of games for the dedicated server when running through the Steam client.

An update on the Update

The reason for the recent update was to move Counter-Strike Source (CSS) from the older HL2 version of the Source engine to the most recent version. This brings the CSS codebase in-line with our other games. This resolves long standing issues associated with the older engine and allows us to benefit from features and bug fixes in other source games as they come online, such as improved graphic effects and more accurate hit registration.

During this process we created some unintended side effects, these are bugs. We are actively investigating all reports.

A good example of this is bullet penetration changing on Linux Servers only; not Windows Servers. This was a subtle bug to track down and understand. It has been fixed.

Rest assured we will continue to fix old and new CSS bugs. We want to retain the CSS gameplay experience that you know and love. We would also like to thank everyone reporting bugs and posting constructive feedback. This is an invaluable part of the process.

The CSS Team

Server has been updated and restarted.

I got board of CS:S Super fast. I don't have the discipline to become a "leet" player who can headshot on a whim and have 39 kills and 4 deaths. That's some serious dedication. I've been playing a lot of Borderlands though. Might hit up TF2 for that Engineer update.

Do what I did, get headshots often with the shotgun from a good distance and only ever use the pump shotty and deagle. :wink:

always fun imho

i'd love to play some CS:S, i think the problem is that no one plays because no one is playing

We've tried having weekly events but really the only way this is going to work is if the css players help evangelize the server, could easily enough make regular play nights if people are willing to spread the word.

I've noticed this has been pretty empty recently.

Is there still interest in this server?

If so I think we should start looking at admins.

Usually Wind and myself get the server going at nights. We've have some pretty big matches. 8v8 at one point.

So check at nights, and add my gamertag

magnumrage

if you want to play just hit me up and We'll get the server going.

It's a lot tougher to get it going by sitting in there by my self so It would be great if some of you guys could add myself and Wind both of us have been getting the server going on a regular basis. I haven't played in a while due to the fact I've been busy with social things lately and taking care of my dog will be in effect all next week to.

What we need are people WILLING to say "Hey lets play some CS:S" once you get 1v1 going, people start joining and it gets going.

I had some guy the other night asking me where zircon and djp were. lmao. So just hit us up. If anything I'd go home at night and play some CSS next week. I don't want to sit around my moms all day.

Usually Wind and myself get the server going at nights. We've have some pretty big matches. 8v8 at one point.

So check at nights, and add my gamertag

magnumrage

if you want to play just hit me up and We'll get the server going.

I think you guys must get on later than I usually do because the server is always empty when I am looking to play.

I'm definitely still interested in having the server, and I'll make more of an effort to get on when the servers empty in the hopes some people show up. Sadly I don't have many people in my friends list who play CS:S frequently if at all, so I'd have a hard time getting even one other person in there to try and kick start it.

EDIT: Just wondering if we have stats on the server, and if not how hard it would be to get it up and running? As sad as it is, stats may increase server traffic if they're not there. I've seen some servers effectively die in a matter of days because they removed stats and most of the regulars moved on. I'd be just as happy without stats as with myself, but they do tend to appeal the people who play CS a lot.

I've noticed this has been pretty empty recently.

Is there still interest in this server?

If so I think we should start looking at admins.

Currently, all the admins are people who play TF2 but not Source, so we could definitely use someone that goes into the server regularly to be admin.

I do like to play Source a bit, though I wish when we actually had those Source events that people other than myself and one or two others would join. It's not the type of game that I really want to play every single day, but I'm still one of the active people on the server, so just like Halt, hit me up and unless I've got an event going on for some other game, I'll be glad to play.

I don't think we have stats on the server, though I could be wrong. Far as know, most people here don't really care about stats, so we might as well put it on the server and even if no one here is ranked #1, woopty doo, just so long as we get more people and have fun.

Currently, all the admins are people who play TF2 but not Source, so we could definitely use someone that goes into the server regularly to be admin.

I do like to play Source a bit, though I wish when we actually had those Source events that people other than myself and one or two others would join. It's not the type of game that I really want to play every single day, but I'm still one of the active people on the server, so just like Halt, hit me up and unless I've got an event going on for some other game, I'll be glad to play.

I don't think we have stats on the server, though I could be wrong. Far as know, most people here don't really care about stats, so we might as well put it on the server and even if no one here is ranked #1, woopty doo, just so long as we get more people and have fun.

Stats shouldn't be that hard to set up, as we already have an HLStatsX CE installation going on for TF2.

Edit: In fact, it's done. Stats are now being logged.

I'm not sure what the current settings are for the in-game points display, though. We suppress it on our TF2 servers.

windstrike, i usually see these events at times that i have something else to do; if you set them up ahead of time here in the thread or some other way i'm sure more people would come. i've been playing a bunch lately and want to play with people here

Sure thing. If you're not in the OCR Steam group already, bug me to invite you (my steam profile link - http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197995227322). Guess I'll bug one of the admins to set up an event night or two for this coming week.

Oh yeah, short notice on this one (contradictory to my reply), but I'm hoppin' onto the OCR Source server tonight at 9:30pm EST (7/15/10) and I invite anyone that has Source, whether you aren't good at the game, pwn everyone, or somewhere in the middle, to join in.

EDIT: There's a CS Source night tomorrow planned as well that starts a little earlier at 8:00pm EST. Quick personal note on that one, I'll be late joining in on that one due to dinner event.

EDIT2: Something I've noticed everytime we OCR Source regulars hop on - we always (everytime) turn alltalk on via votealltalk. Can we just have this on permanently? We're not exactly a "pro" server (no where near close), just more of a... get on, shoot each other, have fun and laugh about it. Especially since we often have low player counts where we might as well have alltalk on.

Didn't have the time to get on for very long tonight, and when I did I didn't even notice there were people playing on the OCR server. I was pretty tired when I started up CS so I must have mistaken the low player count for a zero. The server was still at the bottom of my server list (I sort by player count) because through some fluke every server in my favourites had people playing.

I will do my best to get some play time in at 9:30 tomorrow though, and I encourage everyone else to do the same.

EDIT2: Something I've noticed everytime we OCR Source regulars hop on - we always (everytime) turn alltalk on via votealltalk. Can we just have this on permanently? We're not exactly a "pro" server (no where near close), just more of a... get on, shoot each other, have fun and laugh about it. Especially since we often have low player counts where we might as well have alltalk on.

OK, done. As for events, I'm not on Steam at the moment, so you'll have to catch me later.

I almost forget: We updated the server and restarted it to apply today's update before you logged on earlier.

OK, done. As for events, I'm not on Steam at the moment, so you'll have to catch me later.

I almost forget: We updated the server and restarted it to apply today's update before you logged on earlier.

Thanks man. Noticed it when a BLU- errr... when a CT spoke and I realized we didn't do a vote.

Great run of games tonight with everyone. Server even got pretty full for a bit there, but I had to go after Office so I can go to sleep in preparation for getting up and going to the gym at 9 tomorrow.

I know I haven't played on the server a lot, but I do think some of the guys here are getting better. I seemed to be on the receiving end of some nice Derrit kills in particular.

Also, I need to practice with the deagle more so I can be like DarkSim. I'm pretty good with it, but it's kind of like comparing the guy who donates to charities at Christmas to Jesus.