Steam Perils of Summer Sale

Dhsu

I kinda forgot about Beat Hazard, just went ahead and grabbed that.

My rule with pretty much anything on Steam is that it needs to be on sale for me to buy it, which isn't really that much of a challenge as long as you're a little patient.

The EA sale last week got me 2 (4?) games I've been waiting for a good while to try in Mass Effect 1 & 2 and Dragon Age + Expansion, so I'm not exactly dying for more games, but, another few bucks won't kill me.

I was waiting for a sale to happen for those two, and then I missed it by about an hour or so. Is there a predictable timetable as to when they might go on sale again?

Hmm, well, I had been watching those two for a deal for quite a while, and last week there was a week-long sale on EA titles. The key aspect of it of course, was that on each day, a themed selection of EA titles had fairly good discounts, but only for that one day.

With "EA Week" concluded, and this new "Perils of Summer" deal in effect till July 4th, I would expect that you would have no chance of seeing a deal on the previously discounted EA titles until at least then (I could of course, be dead wrong). Unfortunately, I also doubt that they will go on sale anytime shortly after that, just based on how long it took for them to go on sale in the first place, and then, only for one day.

I think that when it comes to those titles, they (whether EA controls this or Valve does, I have no idea) understand that they are both hugely popular and in demand, and that they don't really "need" to discount them significantly in order to get people to buy (the ME1+ME2 Deluxe Edition came to a little over 40 USD, and DA Deluxe + the expanision over 50), so even on sale, these games still called for a decent chunk of cash.

Now one thing I can tell you is that Steam is a goldmine come Christmas time, the key being that you have to check every day as there are a lot of daily specials (basically what Darkesword said above). That's admittedly a while away, but it's the only time I can guarantee you'll have a chance to get virtually every title available on Steam at a significant discount, as long as you are vigilant with your daily checking. In general your best strategy is to check Steam's deals daily, as they do fluctuate a fair amount even during non-big sale times, and you never know what you might find.

One game I think anyone should check out who hasn't already is Trine, I had loads of fun with that game, and it's 80% off, costing a whole 4 bucks today. If you have ever enjoyed platformers in your life, it's hard to mess this one up for the price.

I picked up Bioshock 2 for 15 bucks. Just the other day my fiance asked why we didn't have Bioshock 2 yet. I said "Because it's still $50." Lo and behold.... And if I had the money, I would pick up the Eidos pack. Save $511.85? HELL YES I WOULD LIKE THAT.

I also picked up Mass Effect 2 for $24 during EA week. Been waiting for that to go on sale for a while.

And just because I was looking for an excuse to play Mirror's Edge again, I did the story mode again just because it was EA week. I'm now going through and beating all my 3-star times in Time Trial. I can't stop playing it; it seems I go back to it after every other game or so.

Picked up the King's Bounty Gold Edition ("The Legend" and "Armored Princess"). Can't find them in stores anymore, and $9.99 for what was otherwise $40 seemed like the right time to pounce.

Got the first 5.5GB game in 3.5 hours. It took the second 5GB game some 10 hours to DL after constant "suspended" pauses. Gotta love Steam consistency.

I kinda forgot about Beat Hazard, just went ahead and grabbed that.

My rule with pretty much anything on Steam is that it needs to be on sale for me to buy it, which isn't really that much of a challenge as long as you're a little patient.

The EA sale last week got me 2 (4?) games I've been waiting for a good while to try in Mass Effect 1 & 2 and Dragon Age + Expansion, so I'm not exactly dying for more games, but, another few bucks won't kill me.

between those three games, you'll be wasted for months. fully exhaust mass effect 1 before moving onto 2, and you'll appreciate 2 that much more. there's 35 for ME1 and 30 for ME2. then dragon age, same deal - anywhere from 40-80 for DA:O, depending on how you play, and from 10-15 for DA:O:A.

you're set, dude =)

i might pick up witcher enhanced edition. i've got the disc for the original, but the patch that you have to get is 2 gigs and apparently only works about half the time. for the price...

edit: coop, you'll love the new KB games. i really enjoyed the first one, and goofed around with the second one a bit. lots of fun, albeit with a terrible plot.

edit: coop, you'll love the new KB games. i really enjoyed the first one, and goofed around with the second one a bit. lots of fun, albeit with a terrible plot.

I played the demo of the first one and enjoyed it. The original King's Bounty was oldschool DOS (and Genesis) fun as well, so I've wanted to get them for a while. Finally got the chance.