Any good chiptune drums VST?

Depends what sort of drums you're after - you can use normal samples with a heavy bitcrusher to emulate the pcm channel or you can synthesise percussive sounds using static. Reason's Thor is good for it, but it's not VST unfortunately.

Bitcrusher? Is that some sort of "8bit-izer" effect?

You don't have to look for drums VST. Just grab any original nes song in nsf format and sample everything you need by muting all channels but the percussion.

If you don't know how to rip sounds from an nsf, PM me and I'll upload waves of various NES drums.

I didn't even know that NSF format existed :oops: OK, I'll fire you a PM, thanks!

EDIT: Txai, for some reason I can't neither PM you nor post a visitor message in your profile.

Bitcrusher? Is that some sort of "8bit-izer" effect?

Yes and no.

Yes: samples have a horizontal resolution (sample rate) and a vertical resolution (bit depth) - just imagine it's a picture. A bitcrusher can reduce either - it "pixelates" the sound, so to say. This has as an effect that the sound loses fidelity, kind of how speech samples in toys are always sounding so peculiar. Since old computers have a small memory, they have to store a reduced version of the sample.

No: Just putting something through a bitcrusher doesn't make it sound like vintage console music.

See

for a (not so accurate) demonstration, or try http://kunz.corrupt.ch/?Products:VST_TAL-Bitcrusher

Hello everybody,

This is my first post. I am the webmaster of woolyss.com ; a website dedicated to audio tracking, chiptune, chipmusic and 8-bit sound for all musicians. Most of softwares are free. I am a member of 8bc.org and chipmusic.org too.

I can help you. Check the page of 8-bit samples and download free packs.

http://woolyss.com/chipmusic-samples.php

Or use VST plugins

http://woolyss.com/chipmusic-plugins.php?s=drum

I hope, it will be helpful !

Cheers, :wink:

No: Just putting something through a bitcrusher doesn't make it sound like vintage console music.

That's true, but i was talking about trying to recreate the way samples sound on old consoles, like with the game boy's wave channel or the nes' pcm channel, rather than drums synthesized with noise. Samples of noise are fine though ;-)

• 1 month later...

I'm not an avid chiptune maker/listener, so I just whipped up a quick ten second tune that I originally wrote to try out the Kontakt Player. I just rewrote the melody and bassline using peach and triforce, and wrote the arp in peach.

So yes, Txai is most likely right on this one given I have no experience in chiptune sims. I just wanted to try out the drum samples he posted. xD