OCR00137 - Super Mario 64 "Liquid Mario"

Super Mario 64 'Liquid Mario'

Jade Gemini aka McVaffe aka Michael Vaffeas gives as a taste of Mario 64 with a side ambience. "A very cute little mix" is what I thought the first time a heard the song. The song starts of with some pretty cool tribal beats spread across the stereo spectrum (though I would have perhaps placed a few more instruments in the left side as it's a little unbalanced). It is then followed by a piano playing the main melody and a tb synth or two. I do detect some semi-nasty distortion in some places, especially during the parts with more bass. Maybe Mike could have panned the hats to the left to dodge the kick drum - this may have also solved the stereo unbalance issue as well. This mix is ok, but I must confess that it isn't one of McVaffe's greatest efforts. It gets a little boring a times.

• 1 month later...

I love the way you can listen to this song at the beginning and just feel the beat moving across your speakers. It's awesome...also, he keeps the traditonal theme simple and doesn't expand it too much, I seem to enjoy that most in remixes. I thought this was really well done, McVaffe has done it yet again! ;)

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Hmm it says first female remix... is McVaffe female?

No...this has been answered several times, so I think someone might need to log OCR history or something so everybody knows about this. This remix was submitted at the time when McVaffe had three different "Aliases" - one being his original name, one being the fabricated female "Jade Gemini" (who's name this remix was sent under), and the other being "Quasikaotic". He did this supposedly to get different moods so people wouldn't comment on how something doesn't sound like a "McVaffe" remix, but it eventually got too hard to upkeep and he eventually told DJP about it. Needless to say, the remix comments by DJP were never changed, although the artist was corrected. I think the actually first female remixer was (and maybe still is) Starla Peacecraft, aka "injury".

Anway, this is a good remix, but not a great one. I'm not a fan of the percussion, mainly because I like loud stuff, and it just seems weak to me. The techno bleepy-bloops in the bassline can get annoying, too, but the lead piano is good when it comes in, and I don't see any other major problems with it. So it's good overall, but definitely not one of McVaffe's best, imo...

EDIT: Fixed spelling of something...

• 2 months later...
Hmm... it's wierd that he would submit this as a female and point out himself that it was the first remix by a female... seems kinda like blatent dishonesty (going beyond just diff aliases) if ya ask me

But if this issue was covered before, like ya say, no need for me to bring it up again... just my two cents

It was covered before and waaaaaaaaaaaay in the past. I think we should just change all of those damn descriptions just to avoid confusion like this, it isn't necessary anymore. But hey I'm not the one making them, I just make the music.

-McV

• 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...

this is a very well done song i think, and i agree, it is one of those songs you could just have playing in your background constantly.

ive left it running on my winamp once on repeat for like 30 minutes and i didnt even notice till i went back to open up a different song ;) nice work

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

LOL. I listened to this and then ran into my room and flicked on the 64. Ran Mario around until I remembered where the level was, then entered it and listened. I was so mad! THIS SONG KICKED THE TAR OUTTA THE ORIGINAL! It made lisiting to the other one a bad experience. But as you listen to this one, all the synthesization sucks you in, and you're off. Man, always one of my favorite mario songs. I looked at the first two of this song i found and none of them did it for me. Half heartedly i lookedat this one, and was in for a surprise. At the beginning, you're not sure what to expect b/c it's such a nice little drum beat, whereas the original had just little chords in the background to sustain you. This however kept you hangin onto it all the way. The melody stays true and i enjoy listining to the background chords. Makes it all worthwhile. Downloaded this one and it's never coming off my memory. I love this, man. This is true synthesization. Whoever said they enjoyed listening to this as they're about to drop off, i have to tell you something. My mom grounded me for listining to this song when i was supposed to be asleep. You're not alone! :)

• 4 months later...

Proof again that Michael Vafeas is a genius. I love the percussion here, as well as how the panning and production was done. Synths are great; minimal, but well-done, as usual. The arrangement expands on the original in a good way, without losing sight of it. The effects used throughout fit well, and the transitions and subtle changes keep the mix from getting boring. Truly amazing.

...Wow. That is all I can say. This track did so much more than simple justice to the original track. I loved it. It is near its 6th time around on my Media Player, and it is just as good as the first time. Fantastic Work. Get a record deal.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...
AHHHHHHHHHH! I love this ReMix!!!! It's GREAT! It's our first Mario 64 ReMix, but there's something even more important that it's also first at: to my own certain knowledge this is the first ReMix submitted by a female!

djpretzel needs to rewrite the comment about this mix.

This stuff is simple but pleasant. Probably, the second remix from Mike Vafeas in OCR. The Jolly Roger's Bay Theme from Super Mario 64 by McVaffe is pretty cool. He used good resources: "pan", "filter", etc...

These resources incorporated the mix. A small, simple and pleasant power has this work for me. It is pure fun, without interruptions.

• 1 month later...

I love when djp and McV both do remixes to the same song. Although there's a big difference in style between both of them, they're both extraordinarily good!

McVaffe's has a more up beat, techno style mix yet he still kept the emotion of the original song. There couldn't have been a better choice than the delayed, filtered synth as the lead.

Very impressive McV I'm hoping you'll come by and post another song here one day

• 2 months later...
  • Liontamer changed the title to OCR00137 - Super Mario 64 "Liquid Mario"