*NO* Chrono Chross 'Dreams of Kid'

djpretzel

Email sub file Techno - The Prophet - FruityLoops - Dreams of Kid.mp3 - actually some cool stuff here, like the transition around 3'20"; not what you'd typically hear from Fruity, at any rate... - djp

Yo - you've got a new remix coming in from a new guy. I'm basically illiterate when it comes to ID3v2 tags, so if there is a problem please gimme some info on how to fix it - i couldn't understnad your other page.

Remixer name - The Prophet

Real Name - Brad Burr (i'm the prophet of mephisto in the forums, and Asmodeus on ormgas)

Email - jazzsax4ever@yahoo.com

Website - none as of yet - its in the works. i'll have a link with this song soon enough

Userid - 16318

Game Remixed - Chrono Chross

Song Name - Radical Dreamers (i'm naming it 'Dreams of Kid')

I remixed this just as a thing for a friend - then realized i could use it for this site. I was going to use 'Hellfire' from Soul Calibur 2 for my first submission, but oh well. Feel free to gun away, this was done on Fruityloops with almost no experience. thank for listening!

The Prophet of Mephisto

aka BRAD

U

R

R

Yeah, I remember bLiNd did a MIDI-rip cover of this just for fun, and the sounds reminded me of that to some extent. There's not much energy and not much going on arrangement-wise here. The volume tricks with the lead around 2:27 were a cool idea but pretty awkward in their usage. Yeah, the transition at 3:08 was cool. Should have definitely played around with that sound more instead. Certainly a cool effort for nearly no experience, but this doesn't take the source tune in any new directions.

NO

The intro reminds me of Hotel California. Brownie Points, there.

The arrangement is overall pretty decent; it doesn't take any huge risks but doesn't have any huge pitfalls either.

However, without a stellar arrangement job, sound quality has to help make up for it. No dice, here. Very SNES-ish, especially the vibrato on the synths. The "volume" fx that Larry so eloquently referenced sound more like velocity glitches than actual attempts at melodic artistry. I'm not hearing the uber-wunderbar transition. I'm hearing a fadeout into some nicely done, ethereal pads and filter work. This part would have worked nicely as an introduction. Instead, it further alienates my interest in the piece, and the abrupt piano-synth "strum" brings out the ancient sound quality issue again. Leaves a bad taste in the mouth, per se.

The percussion work throughout is very ho-hum. Nothing really going on except for a very simple ballad-esque beat played with very bland, top heavy samples. Give that kick some meat, the snare some snap, and the metals some sizzle.

Til then -

NO

-D

• 2 weeks later...

Danny B is right about this. The arrangement is not very daring, and not arranged enough for OCR standards. It's just too conservative. Soundquality and production sound barely a step above SNES type sounds. I don't hold others to high production standards, but this is just below the bar to pass. There's much better GM soundfonts available for free than what's in here.

Not bad by any means, but it needs more work in the arrangement and production department. I liked the ending sections.

NO