OCR02058 - Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past "Magic Fountain"

djpretzel

Really nice chillout music.

Could fall asleep to this.

Source is harder to hear in the first half than the second but its there... have to know what your listening for to hear it, and I thought I heard a slight variation of zelda's lullaby in the intro.

Production is pretty great - only crit I have is that the mid highs on the vibes need bringing down slightly, gets slightly much at the loudest velocities.

Great remix however, Strongly recommended for zelda fans and fans of chillout music.

I'll come right out and say it: I love these chimes. I love the bells, all the bright and dull tones that are produced. It's so soothing and relaxing, almost to the point of being meditative. The piano is a fantastic compliment. The strings later on are great as well. The water stuff is pretty cool but I can see where it might get annoying since it happens through the whole song. I made that choice way back in the day with a rejected mix. However, here, it actually doesn't bother me much, due to it being quiet and it usually meshes rhythmically with the rest of the song. I listened to this in the car yesterday and suddenly everything just seemed to be "alright": the traffic was no longer bothering me, I wasn't too tired from work. If a mix makes me feel like that, I'm giving it my approval.

Going on my sleep/relax playlist for sure.

I love these chimes. I love the bells, all the bright and dull tones that are produced. It's so soothing and relaxing, almost to the point of being meditative.

Seconding this. Furthermore, I think that the water-fx mesh really well with the bells and the overall rhythm of the song.

The stings later on in the song, which Level 99 mentioned, sound like a choir to me. I quite like it.

• 1 month later...

The cavernous water droplets do some rhythmic wonders here. They offer some serious serenity and purity where any other form of percussion would have failed.

Rhythm is definitely this mix's strong suit, but that's not to say that all other areas weren't great. Production is super clean, and the piano is well above adequate for the minimalist/chill hybrid going on here. The arrangement doesn't get very adventurous, but I really appreciate the sparseness in the intro and how the melody slowly begins to form out of seemingly random piano tangents. Choir backing was also a really nice addition and is used with the utmost restraint.

A wonderfully restrained working of a classic Zelda theme. Though anyone after a bold reinvention of the theme wont find it here. This is more of a gentle deconstruction of the melody, with some killer rhythmic ideas that are as technically triumphant as they are thematic fitting.

• 7 months later...

I really love this track, I'm in the process of backing up tracks from last year and this one almost made the cut to my soundtrack playlist. The only thing that stands in the way is the droplets. I think they are wonderful and relaxing but on a playlist that could play at anytime with any company they might not understand the connection the droplets have to the piece. Would it be possible to host a version on some other site without the droplets.

Imagine perhaps a version that you might enjoy while looking back over old holiday snaps in twenty years. "The Old Photos" mix?? haha

If you don't want to that's ok it just means I can't put it on the soundtrack playlist. I'll still keep the track cos I love it.

I really love this track, I'm in the process of backing up tracks from last year and this one almost made the cut to my soundtrack playlist. The only thing that stands in the way is the droplets. I think they are wonderful and relaxing but on a playlist that could play at anytime with any company they might not understand the connection the droplets have to the piece. Would it be possible to host a version on some other site without the droplets.

Imagine perhaps a version that you might enjoy while looking back over old holiday snaps in twenty years. "The Old Photos" mix?? haha

If you don't want to that's ok it just means I can't put it on the soundtrack playlist. I'll still keep the track cos I love it.

you know I had a guy email me about seeing if I could remove a very specific sound effect from my super meat boy remix because he couldn't stand to listen to it in his car

I actually did end up removing it for him; it was really simple

too bad I didn't make this remix... it's way too good for me to have been responsible for it

Don't be so modest, chthonic, I have three of your tracks. Kirby(Dream Warrior), WIP Dedede Trance, and Fleeting Ecstacy. The latter two on playlists! And they're just from the games I know. Guessing there are many more I've missed!

I wouldn't usually request this kind of thing but I like the track a lot and its such a simple thing to change so I can have it on playlist. I can understand if the artist doesn't want another version out there though.

• 1 year later...

The bells and water drops were really cool. It was like a melody straight out of a natural cave, with a piano somewhere in between. Great images in my mind from listening to this. Peaceful and beautiful. I don't think I can say anything more than how much I loved the idea of those water drops being used like they were. This is a great example of taking a song from a fairy-filled fountain and doing justice to the name "magic fountain".

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR02058 - Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past "Magic Fountain"