A few questions.

RPGX Omega

First. I have been using Anvil Studio for quite some time now and have made very good remixes/arrangements according to others. Although I mostly originally used midis I found online.

I would like to start doing something other than midis though. I currently have Acid Pro 7. I can't find out really anything I can do really. Seems hardly a similar process to editing midis.

How can I take a SPC and then start remixing in a program or at least a mp3 version of the SPC. (I know how to convert.) Like I said it seems so different then editing a midi.

If I took a SPC. Turned it into a midi. Then remixed it from there would it be acceptable?

I am wanting non-midi sounds though. If I do it that way. I want to be able to change the midi sounds to something else.

I can't compose or anything like that... So anything else I can mention or any help I can get here? I'd like to move off of midi but I seem to be going nowhere.

Don't worry about not being able to "compose" - play around with the music and you'll see what feels right eventually ;-)

I am wanting non-midi sounds though. If I do it that way. I want to be able to change the midi sounds to something else.

MIDI doesn't have sounds, it is a means of storing a sequence of note data and control changes. What you're talking about are the default sounds with which your comp plays back a MIDI sequence. You can run that MIDI sequence through any software or hardware you like, and it'll play it back with that.

How can I take a SPC and then start remixing in a program or at least a mp3 version of the SPC. (I know how to convert.) Like I said it seems so different then editing a midi.

If I took a SPC. Turned it into a midi. Then remixed it from there would it be acceptable

You can use spc2midi (here) to convert an SPC to a MIDI sequence, but really this is no different to working with MIDIs from somewhere like vgmusic.com; remember that OCR is not for MIDI rips, it is for reinterpretations. You can use an existing MIDI as a starting point, but make sure that it's not just the same as the original composition with the instruments changed.

If you want to nick samples from an SPC, use openspc (I've uploaded it here) and ModPlug Tracker (here). You'll need DOSBox (here) to run openspc.

openspc -i /path/to/file.spc
This will create an Impulse Tracker file from your SPC. Open it in MPT and you can export the samples used to WAV, which you can then use in your own works.

If you were thinking of creating a remixed version of the SPC still in SPC format, do as above, then save your remix (in MPT) as an XM file, then use xmsnes (here) to convert it to SPC. Bear in mind that OCR does not accept SPC format submissions though.

I can't compose or anything like that... So anything else I can mention or any help I can get here? I'd like to move off of midi but I seem to be going nowhere.

Not sure what you mean by "moving off of MIDI" - MIDI is an integral part of most producers' workflow, and by the sound of it yours too. Can you clarify?

And while we're at it, what software are you using, is it still Anvil Studio or are you changing?

Hope all this helped 8-)

Hmm that has helped quite a bit.

As for changing instruments some of what I done was somewhat like that. But I try to change the overall effect. Maybe I can upload a couple mp3s and show what I mean.

I meant moving off of midi as in I've always been using Anvil Studio then converting to mp3 and that is all.

I would like more "realistic" sounds and more to work with... which I always thought was a method of using mp3's.

I am trying to change from Anvil Studio to something that would give me some more options. Like I said. I am currently using Acid Pro.

Note: These are all original midis I found online.

Here is one of my best ones according to most that has heard.

http://www.blade2k.net/FFThunder/Midis/FFMQ_MIX2_SM3.zip

Here is the latest I have done.

http://www.blade2k.net/FFThunder/Midis/FFT_SM2_RUN_PAST_THROUGH_THE_PLAINS.zip

Here is the one I was going to try to improve on by using other methods.

http://www.blade2k.net/FFThunder/Midis/L2_SM5_Boss.zip

Right. If you want more "realistic" sounds then you'll probably want to be using sampled instruments. Samples are usually in WAV (or some other uncompressed) format rather than MP3, and are just small snippets of sound, be they recordings of a real instrument, a small section of another song or whatever. You'll control a sampler using MIDI to play back the samples at the desired frequency. However, this is not always the case; it is more than likely that you'll find yourself using synthesisers to create your own sounds to be used in your compositions. These are also controlled by MIDI.

Basically, make sure you know all about what MIDI is and does (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Musical_Instrument_Digital_Interface ;-)), because it'll be pretty much at the heart of most (if not all) of your work.

A couple of example MP3s would be good to hear :-) I recommend Tindeck (here) for hosting your works-in-progress.

EDIT 1: lol just as I posted this you put up your examples, listening now

EDIT 2: I'm unfamiliar with the sources, can you give me names/YouTube links please? Cheers :-)

I'll be honest, those MP3s you posted sound almost exactly like the sources. OCR is for complete reinterpretations of video game music, not just covers - ReMixes tend to be done in an entirely different style to the original. Cases in point:-

- Dirty Mix, by A Scholar And A Physician

(Source: Super Mario Bros. - Overworld BGM, YouTube)

- Spinlock, by Aluminum

(Source: Super Mario 64 - File Select,

)

Notice how different these ReMixes are to the originals. The artists have taken the original music and completely reimagined and reinvented them; that is what OCR is all about. It's not that your mixes were bad, just that they were covers rather than ReMixes. See the Submission Standards page for more info, especially sections 3 and 4.

Good luck and happy ReMixing! :-D

Ok. For sometime now people I let listen to what I do, and I tried to figure out what exactly I did. I knew it wasn't just "changing instruments". Or a "remix". I thought of it being a "cover" before. Guess I was right. :)

Although anywhere besides youtube to post covers?

YouTube's fine, Tindeck will host MP3s, you can set up a MySpace profile or use BandCamp. There are lots of options available to you, but YouTube'll do if it's what you've already been using. Recommend using YouTube and linking to Tindeck for higher-quality downloads of your works. Not sure if there are any forums dedicated to that sort of thing but you're welcome here. If you want to start ReMixing, have a go, post in the work-in-progress board and a lot of very helpful people will tell you how to make it better :smile: You can learn a lot from the people here; make the most of it!