Game over for VGMix? NOPE

KyleJCrb

I'm glad DoD has its own site now seeing as i first got into remixes from searching for Snappleman and Ashane remixes on DoD then slowly going through other artists till i got here and into all different styles of genres.

I am however sad i can't no longer search through vgmix even tho i hadn't done i would of wandered in and had a general look around at the most populer ones perhaps.

A missed opportunity >.<

Might want to check out DoD's sony month btw they have 2 Okami remixes

Just so you know i love Okami with a passion.

...oh hey a brandon strader and rexy colab, thats a must listen..

Anyway i got catching up to do with DoD

Somebody didn't listen to the Sonic 1 album :<

But yes, I'm glad that the DoD is still prospering after all these years. I still think it's harder to break through there than it is on OCR, but it often brings out some fun tracks.

Though, usually when I search around I have a tendancy to get every song that Hat has ever done :razz:

Somebody didn't listen to the Sonic 1 album :<

I actually loved the album but i was literally scrolling through as i was typing my comment.

I will admit that DoD brings the ...interesting remixes like princeofdarkness's toejam and earl 2 remix or "preventing judgement day" which started off as a chrono trigger remix and somehow turned into the terminator or PokeMETALLY

I just search for a game i enjoyed or a artist i know and like ussually.

• 1 month later...
Reading the title of this thread, I keep hearing Bill Paxton from Aliens.

Who, incidentally, was "Private Hudson"...

If there's a reason why there's a picture instead of the website when I type www.vgmix.com, then I think I know why.

Before Schism Tracker, I had Harmony Assistant, and that was one of the only places that I did my music in Harmony Assistant and released them. Personally, I'm way out of my league to get anything to here...

Well, don't write yourself off, keep trying, and use the Workshop forums to get feedback.

I've considered closing this thread because it keeps being resuscitated for myriad reasons somewhat unrelated to its original purpose, but at the same time I guess it offers a place for venting and/or nostalgia.

We've already announced as much & discussed at MAG, but I'm interested in ways we can offer CERTAIN "vgmix-esque" functionality here on OCR; you can't make all of the people happy, all of the time, but you can certainly try, and you can certainly improve. I'm not talking about getting rid of the judges, submission standards, etc. What we're specifically considering is more integration between the workshop "Post Your Game ReMixes!" forum and the rest of the site. The ability to embed YT, tindeck, soundcloud would be nice, and then the ability to associate threads with a single game & multiple songs, ala "Official" mixes, we think would go a long way towards the notion that a mix can exist on the workshop forums alone, never be accepted, or even necessarily submitted, and still enjoy exposure & feedback.

I've mentioned this idea to Jake, but he's REALLY super-busy writing tons of awesome VGM.

Some people are very critical/defeatist towards this idea and keep hoping for vgmix's return, or want to start their own site - some even have, to varying degrees of success - but I honestly think we can work towards some, or even most, of those ideas here on OCR. Maybe we've already pissed some people off w/ rejections, etc. past the point of them wanting to even consider the idea. There will certainly always be schisms, sects, cliques, and antagonists, even in the smallest of communities. I just wanted to put it out there that we are interested in what we can do in 2011 and 2012 to try and fuse/meld the different approaches and make more people happy, more of the time.

As someone who both has a longtime "association" with VGMix AND someone that had waited several years between submissions, I am definitely in favor of it.

Considering now that OCR has a tendancy to draw in a much older artist pool than previous years, a VGMix-style setup would be great for younger blood and hobbyists alike to really get into the ropes. Remembering Stevo's post in particular in that "beware djp" thread regarding artists' initial frustrations in passing the panel, as well as various heated tensions around other sites in the remix community, it will function well to be able to make music at free will, taking criticism when necessary and even experiment with ideas that might otherwise not make it past the panel depending on the person.

Course, given the site's popularity it might still need some moderation to weed out the MIDI rips and other such blatant arrangement offenders. But if this all goes ahead, then it should hopefully be able to provide more peace of mind within the community, and would also more than certainly improve the communication between the artist and their peers :)

Some people are very critical/defeatist towards this idea and keep hoping for vgmix's return, or want to start their own site - some even have, to varying degrees of success - but I honestly think we can work towards some, or even most, of those ideas here on OCR. Maybe we've already pissed some people off w/ rejections, etc. past the point of them wanting to even consider the idea. There will certainly always be schisms, sects, cliques, and antagonists, even in the smallest of communities. I just wanted to put it out there that we are interested in what we can do in 2011 and 2012 to try and fuse/meld the different approaches and make more people happy, more of the time.

I think part of this is the perceived and rarely but sometimes justified sense of elitism that OCR critics see with us VS the open gaming community at large. A lot of times I think it is just pissed off remixers who could never get a remix passed, but when they bitch to others and those others start looking at this site and the really hardcore attitude we have to many different things and peoples in general, and how we treat the OCREMIXER status or the PROJECT DIRECTOR status like internet caste badges of honors, and how the Judges Queue VS Direct Posting seems to work for different remixers and on, it does add up to this mentality you're talking about.

These are not my criticisms, btw, I'm just saying I can see where it comes from. I do think there is some stuff we're doing that's alienating that sense of openness in the videogame communities and creating that nostalgia for vgmix.com. If you're not a celebrated badass in OCR, we tend to either ignore you politely or, in the case of some, just ridicule you for being a newb. I myself have tried to submit some ideas to you, David, and heard nothing back.

One day I'd like to genuinely study the criticisms ocremix sometimes gets (like how people still say all our music is FruityLoops shit or "Just add drums!") and try to come to a substantial conclusion because it is a subject that genuinely intrigues me, but right now my honest opinion is that stuff like this comes from us just not being as open to others as we used to be.

If you're not a celebrated badass in OCR, we tend to either ignore you politely or, in the case of some, just ridicule you for being a newb.

It's funny you brought this up because I've been in a few of those conversations with other site members about them thinking OCR prefers to promote the most relevant people in the community, or those "badasses" you speak of.

In OCR's defence, I feel the communication between staff and musician has improved greatly over at least the past couple of years, so it's definitely fine in regards to the most determined amongst us. There DOES, however, feel as if there's some kind of selective process in regards to artist promotion, with most examples being shown in either mixposts or OCR's Twitter. Hence, for some it DOES feel like being politely ignored.

But I am sure some VGMix-like system would still do some good. Sure, there will STILL be some celebrated badasses here, but if people get the ball moving when/if the idea surfaces, then such alienation may be reduced depending on ways of communication with others. Much like djp stated there are some small cliques within the community, but they can also be broken down much further than just how they feel about OCR :)

Edited by Rexy

• 1 month later...
We've already announced as much & discussed at MAG, but I'm interested in ways we can offer CERTAIN "vgmix-esque" functionality here on OCR; you can't make all of the people happy, all of the time, but you can certainly try, and you can certainly improve. I'm not talking about getting rid of the judges, submission standards, etc. What we're specifically considering is more integration between the workshop "Post Your Game ReMixes!" forum and the rest of the site. The ability to embed YT, tindeck, soundcloud would be nice, and then the ability to associate threads with a single game & multiple songs, ala "Official" mixes, we think would go a long way towards the notion that a mix can exist on the workshop forums alone, never be accepted, or even necessarily submitted, and still enjoy exposure & feedback.

Or ... just leave it as-is. OCR is a place I come for quality, peer-reviewed submissions.

VGMix was a literal crapfest... I'd have to download 300 songs and sift through them to find a CD's worth of quality stuff. Good riddance.

On OCR, I can download 300 songs and sift through them to find a CD's worth of bads.

VGMix was a literal crapfest... I'd have to download 300 songs and sift through them to find a CD's worth of quality stuff. Good riddance.

Sounds like you were doing it wrong. The tiers existed for a reason and VGMix had peer reviews much like OCR has. Most everything in the "Stuff of Legends" tier during the VGMix 2 era generally had a reason for being there. It's not VGMix's fault you decided to start downloading from the bottom tier instead of the top.

Sounds like you were doing it wrong. The tiers existed for a reason and VGMix had peer reviews much like OCR has. Most everything in the "Stuff of Legends" tier during the VGMix 2 era generally had a reason for being there. It's not VGMix's fault you decided to start downloading from the bottom tier instead of the top.

If he was talking about VGMix2, then yeah, he was doing it wrong, although the dropoff of reviewers in 2005-2006 lead to the tiers not being accurate due to too few scores.

If he was talking about VGMix1 though, he would have been right. Back when I was brand new to the community, I remember hearing about VGMix on the OCR forums in early 2002, even before I registered an account. When I went VGMix1, I downloaded a ton of tracks, it turned out 95% (IMO) were garbage and I never went back. I wasn't angry about it or anything, I just thought it would be a waste of time to try to find the good stuff. Some people have the same complaint about OCR due to the lack of a scoring system. Those people would also either be closed-minded or deaf and wouldn't know what good music is. :lol:

• 4 months later...

Had massive data loss a few months back, was able to recover a lot of things thanks to the mirror posted earlier in this thread but I'm still missing some stuff, wondering if anyone has

mv - Heavenly Anew(Final Fantasy XI)

zyko Diablo remix, forget the name but it's part of his "of darkness and legends" series so it should be similar

Fatty Acid - We Were Sixteen(Chrono Trigger)

The Wingless - Obsidian Ocean(Star Fox)

Prophecy - On Top of Jacob's Ladder

Edited by liquid wind