OCR02061 - Seiken Densetsu 3 "Aurora Borealis"

Awesome remix of a nostalgic track when the game was, and still is, available to play only by emulator/rom outside of Japan with a fan-made English patch.

The remix takes the

that sounds some what somber as well as reserved and makes it more exciting. Makes me wish I could have it loop appropriately and hack it into the game itself.

It does not deviate too far from the original track but in this case it's not a bad thing at all; it instead fleshes out the original track, creating an ambiance that is, imo, missing in the original.

Very well done~!

This is fucking great. I really dig the sound choices that were made and I like that it doesn't stray too far from them. It makes for a really clean, tight sound throughout the whole remix. And the back-and-forth between regular and double time sounds awesome. Really great work!

Always nice to hear a Seiken Densetsu remix.

I really liked the transition from the intro into the main part, so to say. Actually I listened a few seconds to the intro, then closed my eyes and leaned back, when suddenly the kick comes in. Nice one :)

Also the calm middle part from 2:00 till somewhat like 02:50 is really soothing. A great choice of instruments and the overall rythm and pace of the whole piece is just something that makes me smile.

Thanks for sharing this one.

The percussion seems a bit robotic/loud so it kind of intrudes in on the piece. Like, it's disproportionally intense compared to the other instruments. I also feel like the arrangement could have been compressed a bit - it dragged on a little. However, the synths were very beautiful and atmospheric. I would say this piece is an even split for me.

Ah, THIS song. I got to say, here, that I've played through that game about... 9 times, so every track in it sticks in my memory like crazy. Great game, great track.

Anyhow, It's a pretty chill mix going down, here. Of course, the original was chill, on it's own, so it's sort of like an enhancement of that original sound.

Great track there, buddy - can't wait for the album of this game you're working on (and if it doesn't come out by next year I'll try to participate, I swear :tomatoface:).

Thanks everyone. I'm gone for half a week and this is what I see when I come back. :D

I had a feeling this track was gonna get posted soon, juxtaposed with the current season. It's a winter track, and I don't think djp would wait until winter to post it, so... :D

Again, a big breakdown in the middle of the track. Yeah, ppl love it, which is awesome :D, but am I becoming predictable?

(I miss the judges' comments. must make crappier music, or heavily interpreted stuff they must panel just to sort out source use... and then they ask me anyway.)

Hey maybe this mix can get ppl excited about the sd3 project :D and FINISHING THEIR MIXES FOR IT!! :P

It sounded awesome back in Winter, and it still sounds awesome now. Rozo knows how to work his sounds to their maximum potential. The result is nearly always mixes that sound complexly layered, even when they really aren't. This one is more complex than I've usually heard (unless my ears are playing tricks on me), with a mesh of pads and high bell chimey sounds supported stable strings and some killer dancey drums. Definitely a wintery feeling throughout. Love how the progression doesn't change up that often but it never gets too stale for me, as there's always parts changing, coming in and out.

I dig the Rozo sound. His force is mighty.

As Rozovian himself said in the submission email, this doesn't sound very Xmas-y, but the wintery feel is definitely there. Nice choice of instruments; the synths stand out especially.

I agree with OA on the length. though. For a track this long, it could've used a little more variation, particularly in the second half of the song. I'd like to see Rozovian try something more daring, something that takes a step away from the part1-breakdown-part2 formula.

Diggin' the outro, btw.

• 3 months later...

This is my favorite Rozovian song too, and winter is absolutely captured in this. diotrans and I drove up to NY last winter for the holidays, listening to the OverClocked Christmas album. Even though this song is not that Christmas-y, it perfectly fit the drive. Maybe a little long, but it's one of those tracks where he keeps a good thing going and it doesn't overstay its welcome.

Very nice track, not a super favourite but well executed regardless. Rozo has his own style, clarity and synths being the central features. His sound is recognizable.

The drums in this one are very Kikuta-like in my opinion! My nitpick for this piece is that the strings sometimes feel like they drag a little bit behind. They could have perhaps been shifted a little bit forwards to compensate for the attack.

--Eino

• 9 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Very Wintery ReMix. Perfect for when all you can see outside is white. This is the kind of song that may not scream Christmas, but gives that cold, northern lighted sky feeling. Loved that bass drum and the synths here. A little long, but it's great to drive to. If there was a spirit of winter, this song would have it. Sweet stuff Rozo.

• 7 months later...
  • Liontamer changed the title to OCR02061 - Seiken Densetsu 3 "Aurora Borealis"