Pokémon RBY -- SS Anne!

evory

Hey there people,

I know Pokemon music isn't really the most well loved here (sadly), and yeah, the SS Anne music just screams out Canon (although not in D, but that's not the point here).

ANYWAY. Here's a remix of the SS Anne (which is as of yet untitled, but again, that doesn't really matter very much) for solo piano, which is at present just MIDI fed through my keyboard so it's going to sound really mechanical because well, it is.

ANYWAY. Comments on the arrangement please =D It's not (supposed to be) complete as of yet so this is probably just the first half or more but just treat it as a complete piece if you so wish, yeah.

ANYWAY. I shall here thank the community for feedback in advance, so if I don't get replies, you shall all feel guilty and terrible inside. But I know that won't happen because you are all awesome people, so. =P

Remix: http://www.tindeck.com/listen/fqeb

Version 2! Don't click the one above, click the one below instead =)

http://www.tindeck.com/listen/bqcr

Source: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9MeE__KUVoo

Ooh I like the thread number (Y)

That's beautiful, even if it is a WIP :) I've been wondering why there aren't that many Pokemon remixes...

ANYWAY, the arrangement is really well done - the intro is touching, then it dips down and back up into what could be a powerful, fiery piano number (what I'd do - might just be my style speaking - I'd build intensity with that section, then drop back down into a reprise of the beginning. But that's just me).

ANYWAY, the S.S. Anne theme is a really overlooked piece of music (in my opinion), and I look forward to seeing how this turns out :)

I love the minor section :D

However, I thought the little motive that scends chromatically was use a couple too many times, and began to sound cheesy as the chromaticism became more apparent.

The arrangement/addition to the original is beautiful, and something this place needs to see more of. Now you just need to perform it, or ask Eric Barker (Noir) to perform it for you :P

Thanks for the replies people =)

The chromatic section was meant to be a combination of the Pokemon healing music and the low health music (which I can bullshit to be a foreshadowing of the futility in trying to escape the ensuing storm, but that's not really the point. God my posting style is predictable.)

ANYWAY. (mm you could totally see that coming as well haha) Listening to it again, it doesn't seem to work very well, so I definitely want to change that before I finalise the mix, but for the time being, I'm leaving it till I can think of a better modulation.

ANYWAY. I've extended the remix to what is supposed to be the full length of the piece, so yep, hoping for more comments on the rest of the piece as well if possible. My thoughts were really similar to djsoto's, so it's basically an extension of the high intensity of the storm (I'm hoping the structure of that part isn't too repetitive), before the main theme is repeated once again.

ANYWAY. Here's the remix!

http://www.tindeck.com/listen/bqcr

• 1 month later...

Okay, I've taken quite a bit of music theory, but I've forgotten all the terminology, so forgive my explanations... The falling notes at the height of the first minor section sounds like it's playing the wrong key. After that your transition into the main melody in minor sounds very improvised, but that goes with the style I think you're going for. Personally, I don't like every single note of the melody played in chords there. I didn't like the transition back into the major melody, but I'm not quite sure why. Other than that, this sounds wonderful even while played by machine! Great composition.

Okay, I've taken quite a bit of music theory, but I've forgotten all the terminology, so forgive my explanations... The falling notes at the height of the first minor section sounds like it's playing the wrong key. After that your transition into the main melody in minor sounds very improvised, but that goes with the style I think you're going for. Personally, I don't like every single note of the melody played in chords there. I didn't like the transition back into the major melody, but I'm not quite sure why. Other than that, this sounds wonderful even while played by machine! Great composition.

The falling notes are actually a diminished seventh chord on B, but I do agree that the key at that point is rather ambiguous so I'm not sure if the chord makes any harmonic sense there. But I personally like it so I shall keep it haha.

[egoistic self defence]

As for the transition, it's meant to be an echo of an actual Pokemon battle scene in the game. The falling notes resolve in the little jingle played upon defeating a trainer before the victory theme plays. I just threw that in because I noticed the victory theme and SS Anne theme had a couple of similarities so I tried to juxtapose the two by converting the victory theme into the SS Anne theme after the modulation.

[/self defence]

That being said, the modulation was one of the big problems I faced when writing this, and until now I can't think of a more satisfactory one. Damn :(

[/ego]

As for the chords, I'll probably end up playing the notes in octaves instead then, too many notes do make it sound horribly convoluted.

D: you seem to be pointing out all the parts I myself thought weren't as good. So much for hoping it was my own strange opinion haha. Yeah that last modulation doesn't sit right with me as well (and it once again uses the diminished seventh chord haha) BUT I HAVE NO IDEA WHY EITHER D:

Anyway, thanks to all who commented! I'll guiltily say that I haven't had much time to practice this so it's probably going to take a rather long time to churn out. Unless someone's willing to collab and help me record this :D (haha please pm or something if you are!)