Pallet Town Castle [Pallet Town, Pokémon RBY]

Okay so... I got bored. This is what happened. Thats usually how it works, truth be told. Obviously I need to get bored more often so I can get more work done, :P.

Anywho, here be another orchestral mix from me. I've been meaning to tackle this theme for a while now, so I'm happy I finally got to it. Its kinda on the short side and I'm really not sure where else to go with this... I tried to sqeeze out as much variation as I could but... we shall see what you have to say on that.

Also, when I started to get some substance to this mix, it kinda sounded like a theme you'd hear in a castle like Lindblum or something, so I kinda tried going with that kinda sound. And thus the title.

So, enjoy!

Source: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d0GuW7x8X-Q

248-v2-DragnBreth-Pallet_Town_Castle.jpg

It's been a few days since I've broke out the old brick-style GB and played the Pokemon games. Ah, the sweet smell of nostalgia! Anyways, had to look up the source. http://www.youtube.com/watch#!v=d0GuW7x8X-Q&feature=related

I love the orchestral sound scape, it's just fun, good stuff. And Timpani! The snare in places (0:44 comes to mind) feels weak just play those few notes. I'd suggest flams and ruffs instead of just normal notes and 5/7 stroke rolls. Some sustained rolls might help fill some of the quieter parts as well. Just my thoughts.

The fade to an 8-bit sound at the end is kinda neat. I have mixed feelings on it. It's not really 'there' long enough to merit much of a comment, I think it either needs to be more utilized or dropped completely. Right now it feels like it's in no-man's-land back there. I've seen a lot of mixes use that sort of sound as an introduction.

Anytime I think of an orchestral arrangement, I tend to lean towards massive dynamic and tempo changes. This has some really nice builds in it as is, maybe a little bit more in the way of accents/dynamics on some of the builds would help with that general feel.

Musically, I don't know much to tell you. That is, technically/musically speaking. SLy gave me a brief lesson a while ago on the modes, but I couldn't tell you much, key changes and such.

Mmmm... the brick style was the only handheld I ever owned... still have it too. No games for it though.

Thanks. I keep forgetting to include the source, lol.

Yes, timpani indeed :D. Er... Flams? Ruffs?

Yeah, I kinda just tacked that on cause it sounded cool, lol.

I tried tying in a bit of a tempo change early on, when the piece gets quieter and smoother (first time through the B section of the source).

So by accents/dynamics on some of the builds, are you saying, for example, moving from a slower tempo to a faster tempo during the build? Or something else?

Yeeeeaaaaah... I tried it in different modes and keys and whatnot... it really, really did not sound good. At all.

XD, sorry. Flams and Ruffs are drummer geek speak.

It's done by putting a grace note, or series of grace notes just before the main hit. A grace note is a quiet hit.

So a flam has say, 2 notes very close together. The 2nd note comes in on the beat, and the first note is about a 32nd note length before that. A ruff is the same thing, but it has 2 notes before the main 'last' note. A ruff is a flam , only you 'bounce' the grace note so it hits 2 times. It gives you a fuller sound. It's used lots in marches.

I have to really think back to how the pieces I liked and remember playing went. Yours reminded me of like http://www.youtube.com/watch#!v=aaAys23Lc7Q&feature=related Anyway, that was more a brief idea if you had something in mind, more dynamic. It's not how I remember it going when we played it, but it's a good enough example. The end of all the runs get quieter and then the beginning of new ideas are louder. It's in the details I guess I'm saying, kinda nit picky. I almost always have to grab something for reference, words are hard! :tomatoface:Again though, it's my opinion, so is no right or wrong in this, just thinking of examples and ideas.

Modes and keys are beyond what I understand right now. (insert joke 'drummer is not musician' here, Is okay, I get it all the time. PFFT! THEORY! Hit drum with stick good!) I just have a very basic knowledge of triads and play with it and hear it. 90% of the time I hate what I make when I'm like... 'I wonder if...' So, yeah. You'll have to get someone who knows more than me ta help ja with that. Some day I'll have to break down and take a theory class...

Bah, I'm going to have to be listening to classical stuff all day today now till I find exactly what I remember... :razz:

Hope this helps.

EDIT: Another thing occurs to me as I troll through youtube for things. A lot of pieces I see have different voices coming and going, and your arrangement is a lot of voices, but more or less one 'sound' I think I mean. I see things like flute runs and low brass builds and stuff. Just pointing that out as well.

It's done by putting a grace note, or series of grace notes just before the main hit. A grace note is a quiet hit.

So a flam has say, 2 notes very close together. The 2nd note comes in on the beat, and the first note is about a 32nd note length before that. A ruff is the same thing, but it has 2 notes before the main 'last' note. A ruff is a flam , only you 'bounce' the grace note so it hits 2 times. It gives you a fuller sound. It's used lots in marches.

Okay. Cool! Good information to know. :D

Lol. Drummer's not a musician? I'd like to see people who think that tell it to this guy

Anyway, thanks for the input and the tips. :) Appreciated.

• 1 month later...