OCR00356 - Super Castlevania IV "House Party"

Saunders

Super Castlevania IV 'House Party'

While the lead sample at first is a little weird, I personally really liked this mix. I remember some people complaining about a sample in here that hurt their ears, but I can't find it anywhere. Maybe my hearing is just so bad that I've been rendered immune to it. Whatever. This is a good mix, with some unusual samples being used (not unusual like strange, but unusual, as in, not usual) but I like it.

• 3 weeks later...

Hearing djp's House Party the first time is certainly weird and can turn off those not willing to hear out the whole track, but DEFINITELY stick with it and give it two or even three listens to let yourself see if you truly like it. I think many people would agree that, even if you don't initially click with this track from the get-go, there's something here musically that makes you think about listening to it several times to understand just what's being played.

Listening to it multiple times, you'll get more accustomed to the warbling beats and the entire ReMix as a whole. If you don't like it immediately on the first listen, give it another one. House Party definitely grew on me, and is one of my favorite OC ReMixes as well as my favorite track from djpretzel himself. DL it now and check it out.

-LT

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

ya know, i think that DJP could be considered the Moby of overclocked remix... and before you flame me for that statement, it has nothing to do with similarity between styles, but more that ive noticed djp's stuff has a very old school/analog feel to it...like moby.... and i think its pretty damn cool. this particular one is pretty groovy, and the lead line towards the begining is pretty sitar sounding, which i dig. you'll get no complaints here.

• 1 month later...

i think djp is way too humble. i liked this one right off the bat.

the fact that this "mere test" has elicited 7 very positive reviews just goes to show that djp was born with talent (talent he should be making money with, but hey...).

once upon a time the lead would have made me grit my teeth in the high range, but i'm good and deaf now, so HUZZAH!

• 10 months later...

This is really frustrating... CV4 has some of the best music in the series (some argue the best) and yet there only 3 remixes for it on OCR... 1 of which is good...this one...but of all the songs it could be it's from one which has apeared in every game in the series since Castlevania one. So while djpretzel decided to tag it a SCV4 mix, it could easily be CV1, 2, 3, Dracula X, XX, or SOTN.

Anyway, despite djpretzel's disclaimer this mix actually is pretty good. A couple of those grinding sounds here and there are slightly anoying, but overally it's very catchy and has jazzy feel to it that gives it a sort of unique pizzaz. Great job, just I was expecting an actual Super Castlevania 4 remix.

If he has so little faith in this one, I'm eager to hear pretzel's next Castlevania mix, the one he puts "more than 2 hours of effort into".

• 7 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I dig this tune. I dunno what people are talkin' about with the weird noises and ears hurting... You people need to go listen to more music. For this song, it might be a little weird... The organ is purty slick, though. And the drum programming is timeless. Download it. Do it now!

• 1 year later...

So I just found this in my stash of Castlevania remixes tonight, and it's like being at a roller disco fighting the undead with a whip. It's ridiculous. In a good way. I really like it a lot, as my Last.fm profile will soon betray.

• 8 months later...

The lead is pretty hardcore in the higher frequencies; I would agree that pain is involved. The arrangement here is really nice though. AnSo style before it was all the rage. :<

Lots of crazy analogue funk, and some great counterpoint. I really think the star of this one is that organ, which does some great syncopated bits.

Cool stuff. :-)

• 1 year later...

A djpretzel mix, through and through.

There is a sense that this was a "quicky", and there is overbearing sense of familiarity in the arrangement. There isn't a whole lot to it, but really, does there need to be? djpretzel does his thing, and then it's over. It's not crazy, it's not sublime. It's just a mix with an intent to please and I can't see a reason why it would fail to do that.

• 4 years later...
  • 2 years later...
  • Liontamer changed the title to OCR00356 - Super Castlevania IV "House Party"