Original decision: http://ocremix.org/forums/showthread.php?t=26802

Contact Information

Your ReMixer name : 8 Bit Instrumental

Your email addres: 8bitvgm@gmail.com

Your websit: 8bitinstrumental.com

Submission Information

Name of game(s) arranged: Super Dodge Ball

Name of individual song(s) arranged: A Ultima Carimbada

Your own comments about the mix, for example the inspiration behind it, how it was made, etc.

This is our version to the End Credits from Super Dodge Ball for the Around The Wolrd Project.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.zophar.net/download_file/14686 - 14 "End Credits"

• 2 weeks later...

Still pretty overcompressed, but a little more reasonable. the first transition was still clunky. It didn't have a prominent drum fill or any indication that the phrase was ending, and the tempo shift wasn't smooth.

The first introduction of chip sounds was still really dry. I love the combined sound of more traditional elements and chip sounds, but the end product needs to mesh well, or it just sounds like something is pasted on top.

The ending transition was nice, and that section is equally good, but it still sounds like there are 3 separately produced tracks here. I'm sorry to kick this back, because there are a lot of elements that do work, and this is an improvement from the first sub, just based on the reduction of compression, but it's still not there. Sorry. :-(

No, please resubmit

• 3 weeks later...

I didn't hear any source in the last 40% or so of this song. I might be missing something but since it's over 50%, I'm cool either way.

This is my first time hearing this song and I really like the arrangement ideas. It's very pleasant and a nice way to arrange the source. The biggest problem is definitely the difference in production between the initial section and the rest of the song. Really sounds like two different songs, and the transition between them is clunky too, like something you hear on the radio. The chiptune stuff doesn't blend in very well either. Now is that overlookable given that I didn't have any other issues with the song? I'm willing to say YES. I didn't feel like it hampered my enjoyment of the track very much. Good luck with the rest of the vote!

YES

Overall I am going to have to agree with Andrew on this one. Right now I feel like things are not meshing well enough together, either through the different sections, or the combination of the chip and real sounds. The first transition is particularly rough, and needs some better indication about the change as well as a smoother move overall. The second transition is much better than the first, but it still sounds pretty different from the two other sections and causes a bit of disjointedness. The sections need something that can connect them a lot better, to make the overall song more cohesive to the listener.

The chip and real sounds right now are also sounding like they are not connected. The chip stuff is very dry and doesn't sit in the soundscape with the rest of the instruments. Work on having everything mesh a little better.

As Vinnie mentioned, the last third or so of the song isn't really clear on where the source is, if there is source in there at all. With the rest of the song as is it does still work over the bar for source usage, but a clearer connection will help things along, and add more roots to the original source.

I think this one needs some more work before it is ready. NO (resubmit)

• 2 weeks later...

Nice playing! This is definitely a creative concept and arrangement, but I have to echo what the others said about your transitions. It really does sound like two completely different songs. The lead guitar sounds too distant to me in the first "song," and the chip elements are mixed quite loudly in comparison at first (not when the melody is playing counterpoint with the guitar and afterwards). And yeah, the lack of reverb makes them stick out as well.

The second transition is a little abrupt, but okay by me. I like what you did with the last third of the song, but it still would be nice if you plugged the source in somehow... I feel like going out on a completely original section isn't doing the original composition justice, since first and foremost you want it to be remembered as a remix or tribute. (Right? ^-^)

Nice, but still a little rough around the edges. Keep at it!

NO (please resub)

• 2 weeks later...

Don't like that original outro. It sounds nice but this is a remix and if you're exiting on something completely original, that doesn't really provide a cohesive arrangement of the source. :\

Some great ideas and performance though. First section is pretty awesome, and to be honest I don't mind the transition into the second section that much, because that's pretty much what the source is like.

Really enjoying the second section of the piece, except for the chip-lead, which is pretty dry and doesn't sit well in the mix until it starts arpeggiating. Not bad, but not great either.

This is a toughie, but I'm gonna say NO (resub) because that extended original section at the end bugs me.