OCR02063 - Sonic the Hedgehog "Drowning My Lives Away"

Nice usage of NES-drums and stuff! You've always got a pretty full spectrum of sound in your remixes. What I don't understand is why this couldn't also be included on the album. This is the one Chthonic did with the Zebra talker. :-P You could have fit both of them on the album, seriously! I love the breakdown around 2:25 or so, very light sounds with a pleasant echo.

Post your opinion

Well this basically classic halc.

In other words, if you like lots of chiptune awesome with a very clear and ambient soundscapes, then you'll most like this one.

I'm not sure I like the fact you kept the bass on the tonic key during the verse sections but this is a personal gripe.

I gotta agree with proto that the out of air section with the tempo speed increase is a very clever and unique move, props :D

Another solid chip mix from halc :P

I love it when I'm "meh" about a track, and then a brilliant remixer comes in and makes me love it. I wish I had that kind of creative talent.

Sorry, I had to interrupt the playback to write this, so I don't have a comment on the whole thing, just that the first 2 minutes were glorious. Now it's time to listen to the rest...

Thumbs up, man. :)

I never really listened to the source tune much but it's pretty good, and what you did with the mix here was work your usual magic of getting that nostalgic feeling embedded throughout the song. It never feels forced, and the things that could have sounded really cheesy (like the hiccup and the tempo acceleration) ended up effectively used and add to that "I remember playing it" feel. Even if I never really played it. Consider it standard halc fare, which is quite exemplary as a standard. Keep it up, bud.

Brave. Labyrinth is one of the weakest sources on the OST, but you take it on like a pro. Awesome to hear the drowning theme, I have fond memories of nearly killing sonic so I could get that experience you reference so well near the middle of the track; the intensity of drowning followed by the reprieve of finding an air bubble big enough to support the blue flash.

Usually I hate it when mixes meander around musically, but this does such a nice job, and the chippy world is so retro and lush, that I can't help but enjoy myself. Good on ya!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
FINALLY! A Labyrinth Zone remix!!!

With amazing work fitting in sound effects as well as the "Gasping For Air" theme (as well as it being accepted on OCR), this is by far the best Labyrinth Zone remix you will ever find. Period.

oh ho ho, I think you might change your mind once The Sound of Speed drops ;-)

thanks for the comments, i'm glad you love it!

• 3 weeks later...

Bear with me I'm relatively new to the community mostly just because I've never followed thorough & signed up like I should have but having grown up on Sonic the Hedgehog its Always exciting to hear the old songs i grew up with remix & completely re-envisioned into such beautiful & unique works of art. This song truly rocks by the way! lol

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

I'm still pissed that you won't put this on The Sound of Speed, even as a bonus track. Ben's mix is really, really good, but I feel like this one works better on a conceptual level with the way you worked in sound effects and changed up the groove halfway through. I really am a sucker for mixes that work on a concept that fits the game it came from and this is one of the best-executed examples of this I can find on OCR.

This is still one of my favorite mixes from you Drew after the 42-ish songs I've heard from you. Love every second of it :-)

• 4 months later...

I can't decide which one is better, Ben's or Halc's. :lol: But seriously, I really enjoyed how you managed to work in the "Gasping for air" theme into this ReMix. The transition between the two were seemless and fit together like a puzzle piece. The sound effects are used well and your music style shines in this one. Not much else to say other than I love it.

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR02063 - Sonic the Hedgehog "Drowning My Lives Away"