Can my new laptop run Starcraft 2?

Thin Crust

I don't know computers that well, so I was hoping someone could help me out. I just got the NV5929u Gateway laptop. Here are the specs.

Intel® CoreTM i5-430M Processor1 2.26GHz with Turbo Boost Technology up to 2.53GHz (1066MHz FSB, 3MB L2 Cache)

4096MB Dual-Channel DDR3 1066MHz sDRAM, 280GB SATA 5400 RPM Hard Drive

320GB 5400RPM SATA hard drive, Blu-ray disc drive, HDMI out

15.6" HD Widescreen UltrabrightTM LED-backlit Display (1366 x 768 resolution, 16:9 aspect ratio)

Intel® Graphics Media Accelerator HD with 128MB of dedicated system memory supporting Microsoft® and Mobile Intel® HM55 Express Chipset

For the rest of the specs

http://www.amazon.com/Gateway-NV5929u-mislabeled-NV5927u-computer/dp/tech-data/B0036FFH4A/ref=de_a_smtd

According to this, you're probably good to go, but your "video card" is the bare minimum and also is not nvidia or ATI so I wouldn't be able to guarantee it. This is always the killer on laptops, as their processors and memory are usually fine, but you can't get the same video cards for laptops that you can for desktops (in most cases you can't even get video cards in the truest sense of the term).

My guess would be that it would run, but could suffer from some video related slowdown.

Unfortunately my older brother told me that this laptop can't be upgraded with it's video card. The only way to do it would be to throw away the whole thing and buy a new laptop. oh well. I'm having fun with the original red alert right now. And that was a huge pain to get running on windows 7.

So if everything is up to speed with specs except for the graphics card, everything should be able to process fine, but the video wouldn't be able to perform adequately with it's limitations. Does this mean that with low video settings, it should still be able to run smoothly?

I hope you're not just going to ignore the above-expectations, well-balanced, fun multi-player experience, and the, what promises to be a very engrossing, single player experience because of some qualms you have with Bnet 2? Blizzard has already said they are going to be addressing some of the issues that the community has brought up regarding the state of Bnet. Chat channels will be added. Possible solutions to the problem of cross realm play will be addressed. Whether LAN will be getting added or not is uncertain, but at the very least there is going to be a tournament version that has LAN capabilities for the eSports community, which actually gives hope for a crack version in the future for LAN-ing it up with buddies anyway ^^. Also, there are some problems with the way map publishing and custom map releases works, but again, they are looking into that too. Remember that this is still beta, and even once the game is out, Blizzard will probably keep working on getting everything as good as they possibly can, especially because there are two more expansions in the works.

But even these issues aside, if you just use Battle.net to play some quick multi-player games against people of similar skill levels, then it is quite sufficient in it's beta state. I just hope that you really aren't going to dismiss SC2 based on your issues with the beta version of Bnet 2.0 and/or your dislike of Activision Blizzard. In my case, even the single player alone would make it worth the purchase for me.

I hope you're not just going to ignore the above-expectations, well-balanced, fun multi-player experience, and the, what promises to be a very engrossing, single player experience because of some qualms you have with Bnet 2? Blizzard has already said they are going to be addressing some of the issues that the community has brought up regarding the state of Bnet. Chat channels will be added. Possible solutions to the problem of cross realm play will be addressed. Whether LAN will be getting added or not is uncertain, but at the very least there is going to be a tournament version that has LAN capabilities for the eSports community, which actually gives hope for a crack version in the future for LAN-ing it up with buddies anyway ^^. Also, there are some problems with the way map publishing and custom map releases works, but again, they are looking into that too. Remember that this is still beta, and even once the game is out, Blizzard will probably keep working on getting everything as good as they possibly can, especially because there are two more expansions in the works.

But even these issues aside, if you just use Battle.net to play some quick multi-player games against people of similar skill levels, then it is quite sufficient in it's beta state. I just hope that you really aren't going to dismiss SC2 based on your issues with the beta version of Bnet 2.0 and/or your dislike of Activision Blizzard. In my case, even the single player alone would make it worth the purchase for me.

Get back to me when I can play with people from the US, and I'll give it a second look.

Are you serious? BattleNet is region-locked?

What century is this?!

you havent been paying much attention to the sc2 news have you

yes its region locked as well as a host of other what id like to say are serious issues

you havent been paying much attention to the sc2 news have you

yes its region locked as well as a host of other what id like to say are serious issues

No not really; I have a fleeting interest in the actual SC2 proper; I'm more interested in the games and stuff that'll be made with the engine, like that SC Ghost mockup they showed off.

PRETTY SILLY THOUGH

No not really; I have a fleeting interest in the actual SC2 proper; I'm more interested in the games and stuff that'll be made with the engine, like that SC Ghost mockup they showed off.

PRETTY SILLY THOUGH

hey darke don't derail threads or you'll get banned or something

back on topic...

i wasn't talking a gaming pc, either. just in terms of raw performance and long-term viability, that laptop will be toast either from the first drop or because the battery and system bus fry from the extra heat generated by that system. oh, and turbo mode? uber LOLz on a laptop, right up there with overclocking. your computer's raw computing ability will function significantly below a desktop running even an AMD 3ghz dual-core from three years ago =( =( =(

Back off topic for a second:

Today Blizzard announced that the future SC2 forums, WoW forums, and eventually WC3 and Diablo forums will use the "RealID" system to force forumers to post using their real names (or rather, the name you put into your BNet 2.0 account months ago and can no longer change).

The overwhelming response to this ridiculous idea only gives me hope that Activision-Blizzard will pull their heads out of their asses sooner rather than later (or never).

Get back to me when I can play with people from the US, and I'll give it a second look.

It's not possible for you to order a US version? Sucks. Buy the game when Blizzard gets their priorities straight and announces a real timeline for implementing cross-region play.

We’ve given a great deal of consideration to the design of Real ID as a company, as gamers, and as enthusiastic users of the various online-gaming, communication, and social-networking services that have become available in recent years. As these services have become more and more popular, gamers have become part of an increasingly connected and intimate global community – friendships are much more easily forged across long distances, and at conventions like PAX or our own BlizzCon, we’ve seen first-hand how gamers who may have never actually met in person have formed meaningful real-life relationships across borders and oceans. As the way gamers interact with one another continues to evolve, our goal is to ensure Battle.net is equipped to handle the ever-changing social-gaming experience for years to come.

"We care about your online friendships, so we're region-locking the game and turning BNet 2.0 into Facebook. I hope you hate privacy!"

Sorry for being captain obvious all through my post, but I thought it's best I summarize just how retarded this all is.