OCR01238 - Final Fantasy IX "Messenger in the Key of Black"

djpretzel

I was originally a big fan of this piece while it was a WIP, though it was noticably synth at that point. I'm glad to see that the piece kept its generally frantic tempo with its calmer interludes. Overall, this is an excellent companion to the original that reminds me a bit of something that Noir might do, though the classical piano style definitely does not carry through the whole piece.

Props to Nex for an amazing display of skill on the keys; I wouldn't have imagined too many people would be able to keep up the frantic tempo in spots like those around 2:00 that came easily with the synth in lightwarmth's WIP.

Excellent remix.

This is...wow. I'm always a fan of individuals who can do two things -- play the piano with a fast pace while maintaining a good sound/rhythym and interpret a song with many different instruments into a single piano solo.

This does both of them nicely, what starts off as a normal piece quickly changes into what sounds almost like a slightly jazzy rendition of the moonlight sonata (act 3). I have a deep respect for people who play the piano so well -- this is obviously a good demonstration of playing the piano that well.

This is quite awesome indeed. This is a style of piano I don't think I've ever heard before, mixing the rapid heart pounding driving sections in with the softer smoother gentler sections.

I have but one complaint, and that is that I had to turn my speakers up a considerable amount in order to hear this mix. A little bit of extra volume would have been welcome, and perhaps just the tiniest bit of extra fidelity.

Other than that, I'm in love with this piece. It just does everything so well!

I have a little bit of criticism to add to the reviews on this pretty well done arrangement.

First of all, the piano has too much reverb, making many of the fast sections muddled together. Second, there isnt enough contrast between the melody and the counterparts/bass parts. The melody needs to be louder, and it seems that everything is mixed a little low, which makes it harder to distinguish the differences in volume. In comparison with the original, this does a pretty good job of taking it and transforming it into a piano piece, while keeping a consistent style. I think I actually prefer this piano arrangement over the original :P

Nice job lightwarmth and Nex.

Blue

Edit: Something I forgot to add: the articulation sounds all the same to me...thats what you get using a keyboard and a piano sample but oh well

I guess I'm the only one, but...

I didn't enjoy this too much. It's a decent arrangement, played well if it wasn't sequenced, and not all that bad.

However, to me it sounded like someone banging on a piano faster than they should, just trying to show off some of their speed/skill instead of making a pleasant sounding arrangement. I don't mean make a pleasant and peaceful arrangement of Dark Messenger, but something a little more pleasant to the ears instead of being reminded of a 9 year old banging on a piano.

So my opinion: Too fast, too hard. Try easing up on those keys and playing with emotion instead of skill.

7/10

honestly didn't care for this remix all that much. i can't place what it is. i think its the fact it sounds like its being fast just to be fast. a few of the fast to slow transitions work and start to develop emotion behind the music.....

but definitely not the developing of emotion everywhere and thusly falters a little in my book. gave it two listens through too.

technically good, emotionally flat.

have to say though, like it or not, kudos to anyone who can actually play that fast.

have to say though, like it or not, kudos to anyone who can actually play that fast.

This is not that fast. The only moderately difficult part of this arrangement is toward then end when you have to reach out with both pinkeys repeatedly. That requires swift wrist movement, however that is a skill that is quite easily mastered. There is definitely alot to like in this piece, however the technical skill needed to play it is not much of a selling point

This is not that fast. The only moderately difficult part of this arrangement is toward then end when you have to reach out with both pinkeys repeatedly. That requires swift wrist movement, however that is a skill that is quite easily

mastered. There is definitely alot to like in this piece, however the technical skill needed to play it is not much of a selling point

mebbie it just sounds fast to me cause of the whole, me not being able to play. well steal the compliment from my post then why dontcha. =P

I guess I'm the only one, but...

I didn't enjoy this too much. It's a decent arrangement, played well if it wasn't sequenced, and not all that bad.

However, to me it sounded like someone banging on a piano faster than they should, just trying to show off some of their speed/skill instead of making a pleasant sounding arrangement. I don't mean make a pleasant and peaceful arrangement of Dark Messenger, but something a little more pleasant to the ears instead of being reminded of a 9 year old banging on a piano.

So my opinion: Too fast, too hard. Try easing up on those keys and playing with emotion instead of skill.

7/10

It does lack emotion, but part of that could've been due to the sample's articulation. I think the sample is partly responsible for making it sound so bangy.

I think this is a great piece. I play the piano, and I only have a few problems. One was mentioned, and thats that it seems like the person playing this had their "foot on the pedal" a little to much. It makes for a great effect, but parts of it do run together.

As far as a contrast between the lower and higher notes, I didn't really have a problem defferenciating between the two. Also, as far as it being fast, one thing that piano players will do so that the song doesn't sond monotonous is to speed up parts and slow down other parts. This song could be played all at the same speed, but then it would be repititious. Varying the play speed is a way to make one part stand apart from another, even if they are the same sequence of notes.

And yeah, it was pretty soft, but it's not like that isn't easily remedied. Anyways, I'd have to give this remix a 9 out of 10. It's worth listening to many times.

~Lord Syruss Khalai

• 5 months later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

This is a mix that deserves more props that it has thus far! I haven't got a lick of musical talent in me so I can't offer you constructive crits. I can only say that I have passed this song along to friends and find it tremendously inspiring.

I really hope to hear more from you!

• 6 months later...
  • 2 years later...
  • Liontamer changed the title to OCR01238 - Final Fantasy IX "Messenger in the Key of Black"