DJSoto13 - Dream In The Windmill

DJSoto13

Hello, OCRemix Mod(s)! I'm DJSoto13 and this is my first attempt at remixing a song.

What I've prepared is an ethereal-themed take on Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time's "Windmill Hut" (a.k.a. the Song of Storms). The reason I call it a dream is because that's what it reminded me of - the panning audio, the spacey piano, the toybox-like instrument - and although it does contrast with the other part of the song - the drums and the guitars - it still seems like spending a night dreaming in the Kakariko windmill.

But I ramble. Hopefully I get some helpful advice from you, and happy listening!

P.S. - can you help me with mastering? I feel a little uneasy about the whole thing (it might be evident in the song), but I'm trying to get a more professional, open, and warm sound. Thanks :)

Source:

Remix: http://tindeck.com/listen/xbxv

Honestly, the only part I heard that gave the essence of the word "dream" was halfway through the song. That spacey, drifting feeling was the best part out of it all. When everything else came into play... well... it didn't keep it. I don't know if you're trying to keep it at a slow pace or a fast (almost rock sounding) pace.

If you really want to keep the "dream" theme going, work around the pace where the middle of the piece plays, because that is where I'm hearing the "dream" come in.

Let's see... For one thing, you don't really want to label a song as Mod Review the very first time you post it here, generally. I think you're just supposed to use that when you're just about ready to submit it.

On that note, one thing that I know is going to get a lot of people from the get-go is that the samples are all pretty cheesy. That's usually a pretty easy fix, though. There are all number of free soundfonts that you can download and get some more workable sounds.

Let's see. Secondly, you've generally got the exact same bassline and harmony going the whole song. That gets old really quick (even in the original track, if you ask me), so you might want to do something to change that up.

You could easily chop out about two minutes from this. Most of it is just repeating the Song of Storms melody verbatim, and a lot of the repetition isn't necessary.

There are a lot of guitar and drum fills/solos that aren't all that hot. It mostly comes off as a flurry of rather random notes. I don't really know what to say about that other than go back and redo them so there's a more cohesive sense of melody to it.

I think that's all I've got for now. Hopefully that helps. I'm not really an expert myself, but I'm more than willing to offer some more critique based on my experiences.

Yeah, as I thought, it's still pretty rough (even though there's been a WIP and Finished thread on this already). And the dream thing - it was what came to me when I uploaded it to Tindeck (it was a little better of a title than "DJSoto13 - Song of Storms").

I don't know where I'd take this - should I take the guitars out and make it a more orchestral-themed one? Maybe keep the guitars in for a rhythm part, but switch to orchestral percussion...

Anyways thanks for your advice, guys :)

So I put together a different take on it (mostly string based).

It's "Strings of the Windmill" (see Tindeck banner in my signature). Obviously, it's very rough, but what do you think?

ALSO - how can I delete old threads and "change" them from WIP-Finished-ModReview?