What was the first video game soundtrack that you were drawn to?

Flexstyle

For me personally, the first game from which I can remember truly enjoying the music has to be the first Rayman. I had it for PC, and had a cool lil' 233MHz AMD K6 with 32 MB of RAM to run it with. I believe the hard drive clocked in at about 2GB, huge for the time. Since it was a PC game, the soundtrack was actually CD Audio, so I actually took the CD and stuck it in my boombox to listen to the tracks over and over, back when I was about 7 or 8 years old or whatever. I still love that soundtrack and would love to make a ReMix album out of it...but I digress. What soundtrack first got you into videogame music?

Back when I was in high school, I was sitting in class one day when this tune popped into my head. For the life of me, I couldn't figure out what it was, all I knew was that it was from some video game. Turns out the tune was

, a game I hadn't played or heard music from since elementary school (my cousin who lived in upstate NY before I moved to PA had it). It's like it was just laying dormant in my head for years before suddenly jumping out.

Also, Sonic the Hedgehog 1 and 2. Especially 2, I can remember just sitting there on the sound test trying to figure out just what in the hell track 10 was (it ended up being the unused Hidden Palace Zone music).

I started young. Castlevania III is SUCH a huge part of my childhood because of the soundtrack. Still probably my favorite to date (probably for nostalgia's sake)

Though, in TMNT4 I do recall dancing and punching like a spaz while playing the Super Shredder theme in the music selection screen.

If we're talking entire soundtracks, the first game that totally caught my attention was either Donkey Kong Country 2, or Ocarina of Time.

But I remember individual songs from earlier games. I think that most of us have the original Super Mario Bros. Theme song deeply ingrained our brains. :)

Metal Gear Solid 2. Started watching music videos with that theme, then found one with Legend of the Snake, which led me here, which led to my entire interest in VGM as a whole. Which then led me on to all the projects on here.

Which incidentally was what led to me buying FF7, Chrono Trigger, and generally getting into JRPGs as a genre.

Final Fantasy Mystic Quest, definitely. Hearing the boss theme as a kid renting that game was like going on a sugar high.

And here I opened this thread up thinking I'd be the first to mention Mystic Quest... My appeal for the game's Soundtrack started at the song it plays in Falls Basin.. Back in those days for some odd reason it would only randomly freeze when that song played. So I'd have to save every few steps. But other than that.. agreed.. that boss battle still sounds pretty awesome even in this day and age... enough so it's my ring tone.

This is extraordinarily difficult for me to narrow down to just one game. I was attracted to music from games well before I discovered soundtracks and remixes via Napster.

The first soundtrack that I actually sought out on the internet was Final Fantasy VII. Boy was I surprised to find several orchestral songs show up in my Napster search! That led me to discover FF7 Reunion Tracks & FF8 Orchestral. What really confused me, though, was another Napster-acquired vocal track called "The Promised Land". It didn't seem like it had any melodic connection to FF7. A good while later, after venturing further into the VGM world, I found the exact same song on the Pray album as a FF2 arrangement... and like so many other P2Pers, realized I was a victim of the ever-so-common plague of mislabeling.

But even before then I was attracted to many games' music. The first would have to be one of these: TMNT, Sky Shark, Zelda, Mega Man 2, Contra, or Double Dragon. Hell if I can remember which. Though I distinctly remember humming the Double Dragon theme like only an obsessed little boy could... So maybe I'll go with that.

SMB 3 underground music. It's a remix of SMB's underground music (foreshadowing, anyone?)! It floored me! I taped it with a little tape recorder by holding it up to the TV speaker and carried it around with me and listened to it while waiting to be picked up from school - without headphones.

Around the same time I started enjoying Music-3 from Tetris.

Wait - actually, the overworld music from Zelda 2 really got my attention. Shucks, I just love that game all-around.

</ramble>

VGM has had a strange courtship with me. Even when I liked a particular track, I was still convinced that it wasn't real music.

First game, IRCC was Mega Man 2. I think I maybe beat 1 robot master ever... but I'd always pop it in just to listen to the music.

Growing older, Donkey Kong Country, Ocarina of Time, and Pokemon Red really grabbed my attention. I actually learned most of what I know about MIDI by screwing around with a MIDI file of Gary's Theme. But I still wasn't sold.

around 11 or 12 years old, I had a habit of searching for "Techno remix" on Napster and downloading everything I could find. That lead me here... where I strangely didn't really care about any of the music, I just liked lurking the forums.

Then at some point I discovered ROMs and started playing through Chrono Trigger. While playing through that, a friend showed me klutz's Town Life for Piano... and somehow, it suddenly clicked that Chrono Trigger and all those other games' soundtracks were full of amazing compositions, and I just wasn't giving them a chance because of their dated sound. This also led me to giving 80s music a chance (probably my favorite era now), and admitting to myself that I liked the way lo-fi chiptune synths sounded.

So long story short, I was drawn to a lot of VGM, but it was Chrono Trigger that sold me on it.

I gotta say(and this makes me feel old), Blade Eagle 3-D on the Sega Master System was mine. The title theme is still in my head, and now I can't find it. Youtube, Galbadia Hotel, no dice. First game I ever beat.

....Dammit, now I'm gonna have it stuck in my head all day. Nostalgia's great and all, but anything on the SMS can get old quick, especially if it's stuck in your head.