OCR01251 - *YES* Terranigma 'Blue (Shooting Star Mix)'

djpretzel

Mmmm, different enough that I think we should evaluate as an addition, not a replacement. - djp

title: Terranigma Blue (Shooting Star Mix) OC ReMix

artist: Ziwtra

year: 2004

game: Terranigma

original: Evergreen

---

Not sure what you want to do with this one... the story is that I got my hands on some non-free tracking software called renoise (best $45 i've ever spent!). To learn effects, mixing, etc. I decided to remaster my first remix Blue since I was never happy with that one. But instead of just mixing it cleaner I ended up starting over and going in a different direction with it.

So I'll leave it up to you whether this should replace the old mix or whether it's a different one altogether--either way is fine by me.

About the song... My first remix of this tune went for a "rainforest" atmosphere you might say (not very original either... calliope, conga, rain and bird sound fx) while in this one I wanted to get a synth sound that reminded me of stars... Hopefully later in the song you'll hear the "shooting stars" that I was going for. I also went for a more downtempo chilled feel.

By the way... love the new site, truly excellent work. Hopefully I'll be sending you some more mixes this summer before I return to school and work my ass off. : )

yh

Source: http://www.alpha-ii.com/snesmusic/spcsets/ts.rsn - "Ever Green"

First Version: ftp://35.9.117.16/Terranigma_Blue_OC_ReMix.mp3

I thought the production could have sounded sharper, otherwise this was a great upgrade from the first version, incorporating a lot more composition ideas and sounds while keeping true to the spirit of the first remix, which was an arrangement that was a lot closer in structure to the source material. Excellent piece overall. If someone wanted to submit a new version of an old mix, this is a prime example of how you'd create something that's a significant arrangement upgrade, not just a production upgrade. Easy YES.

I believe the only reason this is here in on account of the replacement/addition debate. As has always been my stance, I believe we should primarily honor the request of the mixer (if they have one), whether that's addition OR replacement. ziwtra doesn't mind either way, as he told me on IRC soon after he finished this one. But he did also mention to me that it might be interesting for fans to be able to compare the first version with the second, so with that said I'm in favor of this one as an addition as Youngjin might be slightly leaning in that direction.

• 3 weeks later...

After much thought and change of mind, I declare this submission to be a good example and model remake of an old mix, the first to be added under our new addition policy.

Although not totally revamped, 'Blue (Shooting Star Mix)' is a vast improvement over its former 'Blue' incarnation in sound quality, mixing, and production, and also a different take on the original Evergreen theme, as arranged with focal phased percussion, added instrumentation, and more downplayed melody. This 'upgrade' is sonically improved and most important and key, arranged differently enough for it and the old version to stand separately on their own.

YES to addition