Remixing advice

UnveiledOsiris

So heres the deal: I want to get into Remixing. Yes I realize that this isn't something that I'm going to pick up overnight. I was just hoping for tips as far as what programs are good, if there are any sites around that give good tutorials so I can get a good feel for said programs and that kinda thing. I already have FL Studio 9, but I hear that it's only good for techno. Any advice is more than welcome =)

No, FL can do a lot more than techno. :P

Ultimately, it's not the program you use but the sounds you can make that matters. Maybe you'll need some samples from somewhere, maybe you'll need some new synth plugins, maybe you'll need to record something real to make the kind of music you want to make. FL can still handle it.

Best advice I can give is to learn to listen, and to have fun while you're making stuff. Come hang out at the works in progress boards, review wips, posted mixes, and compare your own works to the music you listen to. Over time, you'll get more critical about your own works, and in the process make better music simply by being more discerning when you write and mix.

Remember: Have fun. :D

You'll probably want to search Google for something called a soundfont. I'm using one called Cambridge Concert Flute, which is pretty passable, and free, but I have no idea where I got it. I'm also not entirely certain whether FL Studio has a built in soundfont player (I'm fairly positive it does, though). If not, sfz+ is free and more than good enough.

what kind of background do you have in music? playing an instrument definitely helps a lot in terms of interpreting and reinterpreting music. any knowledge in bits of theory would help too! these things will help you feel how the music flows and why it feels the way it does :)

in terms of production stuffs, i would recommend trying out as many different things as possible. ive messed around 4-5 different programs before i settled on which one i use. you dont need to test them all but it helps to see which one suits your preferred method of composing best! i also recommend experimenting with as many different sounds as you can, reading up on synthesizers/samplers really helped my precision in terms of selecting the instruments that i want.

of course nothing will be the effort or consistent practice and listening, best of luck to ya! :D

• 4 weeks later...

sorry it took me so long to respond...we were having some internet issues lol.

As for my musical background, I used to play bass for several years, and I have some previous experience in drums (something I'm hoping to pick back up on once I can find a nice cheap set :P).

I'll be learning to play piano in less than a month too!

As far as musical theory is concerned, I have absolutely no knowledge of it, though I'll be looking into that once I get back to school and have more free time.

Overall, it's going to be a while before anyone here gets to hear anything that I've worked on, as I'm experimenting with FL at the moment to try and get a better feel for it, not to mention my sudden ambition for learning new instruments. I'll try to keep everyone updated though =)