*NO* Mega Man 3 'Infectious Magnetism'

djpretzel

This is my first submission, and I am a total amature at this kind of thing. I hope it's good enough. :o)

Contact Information

Remixer Name: Inanis

Email Address: inanis@ecr.net

UserID: 19326 (I assume this is correct. I stripped it from the activation e-mail's activation link because I could not find anywhere on the site that would give me my UserID)

ReMix Information

Name Of Game: MegaMan III

Name Of Song: Magnet Man's Theme

Addtl info on game: Already on the site . . .

Link to original soundtrack: On the site already . .

Comments on the remix: I have always loved the Magnet Man theme from this game. I decided on a whim to play around with some software and make a remix of it, just for my own amusement. The remix turned out better than I thought it would, so I decided to submit it. The remix was made using ModPlug Tracker and Cool Edit Pro. I tracked the song with ModPlug using some standard drum and synth samples, and created a few samples of my own using Cool Edit. Nothing fancy. The song has a kinda late 80's/early 90's dance feel to it.

Not bad, if only because the source material is pretty cool. This isn't an improvement on that though on account of the terrible sounds used. The opening drum beat just plods around for over half a minute, and the original section coming in at :36 is too minimal to really add anything creative arrangement-wise. It essentially follows the melody verbatim, which doesn't necessary disqualify it, as "Magnet Man Goes West" did that moreso than this one, but MMGW at least overhauled the sound along with some more creative original sections inspired by the work, and that's what this needs. Practically no development over the 4 minutes either, and that's just not gonna cut it. Pretty boring/uninspired.

NO

When the original comes in at 1:10 or whatever, its verbatim with the original. Beyond that, sample quality issues are quite the significant. I know this song by heart a million times over. Bassline, accompany and lead are completely verbatim.

Please go for more of a remix next time, as the majority of this song is a low quality version of the original. On the upside, there is some originality, but it simply has nothing to do with the song. You'll have to find some middle ground.

NO

I think my noble compatriots hit most of the major points here. It is quite close to the original. Combine that with mostly synths that have no type of filtering or DSP to differentiate them from freshly generated tones, and you've got a tune that needs quite a bit of work. It does have an energy to it, now let's get some more originality and attention to sound processing.

NO

-D

Really nothing to add here that the other judges didn't cover. For me there was way too much of the simple pad and simple beat going on and on during the sparser sections.

This needs more arrangement - mess with the tempo, change up the beats more, add more processing, change the structure or form more. Not a bad mix, but definitely lacking.

NO